Post a reply

Doug Mountjoy RIP

Postby Alex0paul

Forum legend Doug Mountjoy has died

Re: Doug Mountjoy RIP

Postby Dan-cat

Thanks Alex for making this special thread. His return to the top echelons of the game taking the UK in 1988 after several years in the relative wilderness is one of the best ever snooker storylines. He rebuilt his game from the ground up working with Frank Callan and his famous 'drill' pre-shot routine. I remember this period of the game so well, I was 18.

Postby Dan-cat

From Snookerscene blog in 2008:

MOUNTJOY'S MOMENT IN TIME

It is 20 33 (dan edit) years to the day since Doug Mountjoy won his second UK Championship title in what is one of the most heartwarming tales in snooker's rich, compelling history.

Mountjoy was one of snooker’s greatest names of the late 1970s/early 1980s but like all the other players of this era had a life long before turning pro.

Snooker was run like a gentleman’s club in the 70s. To become a professional you had to be invited by the other members, not all of whom particularly wanted talented amateurs muscling in on their patch.

Mountjoy could not walk out of school and on to the circuit in the way players of this era have done. He worked as a miner in the coal valleys of South Wales and played snooker in the evenings.

Already twice Welsh amateur champion, in 1976 he won the World amateur crown and was accepted into the pro ranks. He made an immediate impact, winning the Masters at his first attempt.

In 1978 he won the UK title. Three years later he reached the world final at the Crucible where Steve Davis beat him 18-12. He spent 11 successive years in the elite top 16.

But by 1988 Mountjoy seemed a spent force. He was beaten 13-1 by Neal Foulds in the second round of the World Championship and fell to 24th in the world rankings.

At the age of 46 it appeared as if the only way was down.

Desperate to stave off decline, Mountjoy sought out Frank Callan, a former fishmonger from Blackpool who had gained a reputation as one of the sport’s leading coaches.

Callan took Mountjoy’s technique apart and rebuilt it. This was high risk but rewards were immediate. Mountjoy beat Stephen Hendry, the defending champion, at the Grand Prix and began to feel better about his game.

Even so, nobody gave him a chance at Preston Guild Hall, the venue for the UK Championship in what nostalgics may term the good old days.

Mountjoy beat Foulds 9-5 and former world champion Joe Johnson 9-5 before edging John Virgo 9-8 having led him 8-3.

He was so relaxed against Terry Griffiths in the semi-finals that he went to sleep in his dressing room in the interval.

The final against Hendry was very much the old versus the new. The young gun was widely expected to beat the veteran.

Yet from 7-7 after the first day Mountjoy won all seven frames of the third session.

It is fashionable now to pretend that nobody could really play 20 years ago but at one stage he compiled three successive centuries.

At 15-7 he had it won. At 15-12 it was getting sticky but Mountjoy duly completed an emotional 16-12 victory and dedicated it to Callan.

Even more remarkably he went on to win the next ranking title, the Mercantile Classic in Blackpool, and would rise to his highest ever ranking, fifth.

The financial rewards from this golden run of success should have set Mountjoy up for life but he was badly ripped off by a manager.

Worse still, he had a lung removed after developing a tumour and his career hastened to an end in 1997.

Mountjoy went out to Dubai to coach and continued in a coaching role on his return to Wales.

He still plays from time to time in the CIU Championship, a tournament for working men’s clubs, very much back to his roots.

It’s sad that Mountjoy endured an uncomfortable time after his renaissance but he was from a generation that was grateful to have made a living from playing snooker and never forgot what life was like before there was a televised professional circuit.

He was a key character in the soap opera that was the UK snooker boom and, 20 years ago, he authored one of the most memorable of all the many stories that have kept so many engrossed in this great game.

Postby csprince

just now heard about the passing of doug mountjoy just wanted to pay my respects.the first match i watched properly was the world final against steve davis. i think it was 81 and watched his return to form when he won the uk and the mercantile.and proudly playing for wales with ray reardon and terry griffiths was watching him on youtube yesterday in that uk final vs hendry. rest in peace mr mountjoy.

Postby vodkadiet1

I saw Doug play a few times live. My funniest memory of him was when he was playing Tony Meo at Wembley and they were in the deciding frame. Doug was so keyed up near the end of the frame that he lit up a cigarette and put it in to his mouth while he still had another one in his mouth!

His match against eventual champion Alex Higgins in the 2nd round of the worlds was one of the best matches ever for drama. It was a clash of 2 great characters and boy were a lot of cigarettes smoked!!

Postby vodkadiet1

Dan-cat wrote:From Snookerscene blog in 2008:

MOUNTJOY'S MOMENT IN TIME

It is 20 33 (dan edit) years to the day since Doug Mountjoy won his second UK Championship title in what is one of the most heartwarming tales in snooker's rich, compelling history.

Mountjoy was one of snooker’s greatest names of the late 1970s/early 1980s but like all the other players of this era had a life long before turning pro.

Snooker was run like a gentleman’s club in the 70s. To become a professional you had to be invited by the other members, not all of whom particularly wanted talented amateurs muscling in on their patch.

Mountjoy could not walk out of school and on to the circuit in the way players of this era have done. He worked as a miner in the coal valleys of South Wales and played snooker in the evenings.

Already twice Welsh amateur champion, in 1976 he won the World amateur crown and was accepted into the pro ranks. He made an immediate impact, winning the Masters at his first attempt.

In 1978 he won the UK title. Three years later he reached the world final at the Crucible where Steve Davis beat him 18-12. He spent 11 successive years in the elite top 16.

But by 1988 Mountjoy seemed a spent force. He was beaten 13-1 by Neal Foulds in the second round of the World Championship and fell to 24th in the world rankings.

At the age of 46 it appeared as if the only way was down.

Desperate to stave off decline, Mountjoy sought out Frank Callan, a former fishmonger from Blackpool who had gained a reputation as one of the sport’s leading coaches.

Callan took Mountjoy’s technique apart and rebuilt it. This was high risk but rewards were immediate. Mountjoy beat Stephen Hendry, the defending champion, at the Grand Prix and began to feel better about his game.

Even so, nobody gave him a chance at Preston Guild Hall, the venue for the UK Championship in what nostalgics may term the good old days.

Mountjoy beat Foulds 9-5 and former world champion Joe Johnson 9-5 before edging John Virgo 9-8 having led him 8-3.

He was so relaxed against Terry Griffiths in the semi-finals that he went to sleep in his dressing room in the interval.

The final against Hendry was very much the old versus the new. The young gun was widely expected to beat the veteran.

Yet from 7-7 after the first day Mountjoy won all seven frames of the third session.

It is fashionable now to pretend that nobody could really play 20 years ago but at one stage he compiled three successive centuries.

At 15-7 he had it won. At 15-12 it was getting sticky but Mountjoy duly completed an emotional 16-12 victory and dedicated it to Callan.

Even more remarkably he went on to win the next ranking title, the Mercantile Classic in Blackpool, and would rise to his highest ever ranking, fifth.

The financial rewards from this golden run of success should have set Mountjoy up for life but he was badly ripped off by a manager.

Worse still, he had a lung removed after developing a tumour and his career hastened to an end in 1997.

Mountjoy went out to Dubai to coach and continued in a coaching role on his return to Wales.

He still plays from time to time in the CIU Championship, a tournament for working men’s clubs, very much back to his roots.

It’s sad that Mountjoy endured an uncomfortable time after his renaissance but he was from a generation that was grateful to have made a living from playing snooker and never forgot what life was like before there was a televised professional circuit.

He was a key character in the soap opera that was the UK snooker boom and, 20 years ago, he authored one of the most memorable of all the many stories that have kept so many engrossed in this great game.

That 3rd session against Hendry was one of the best individual sessions ever played in a major final. Hendry's face during that session was something to remember!

Postby Andre147

Mountjoy was a true Welsh legend of the game, will be sadly missed.

I have watched some footage of his play, namely the 1981 World Semis and Final, the 1982 incredible match v Alex Higgins which ended 13-12, and last watch week I started watching on YT his incredible 1988 UK Final, therefore can't believe he passed away.

A true character, always dressed immaculately, his colourfull shirts were always nice. RIP Doug

Postby vodkadiet1

Andre147 wrote:Mountjoy was a true Welsh legend of the game, will be sadly missed.

I have watched some footage of his play, namely the 1981 World Semis and Final, the 1982 incredible match v Alex Higgins which ended 13-12, and last watch week I started watching on YT his incredible 1988 UK Final, therefore can't believe he passed away.

A true character, always dressed immaculately, his colourfull shirts were always nice. RIP Doug

:hatoff:

Postby Vallomas

R.I.P. Doug Mountjoy.

He was my favourite character when I started watching snooker back in 1990, along with Jimmy White.

Unfortunately his form was in decline that time and although he was ranked No 5, I don't remember him winning a single match that I watched.

The recent upload on YT of his 1980 Welsh Professional Championship is a great one, I will watch it ASAP.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCuiwiL302E

that's brilliant!

Isn’t it? Can’t recall ever seeing that before or since...

Sad news to wake up to this morning, I was just watching the 1978 Pot Black final he won v. Graham Miles a few nights ago. Both great characters, now sadly gone.

The only consolation him passing on the eve of the Welsh Open os they will give him a good send-off at the venue, and the BBC will hopefully put together a nice tribute piece.

His episode of “Steve Davis & Friends’ is available (free) on MatchroomTV, and is well worth a watch.

RIP Doug.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Postby mick745

He was part of the Wales team with Reardon and Griffiths who did well in tje World Cup event in the early 80s.

Postby LDS

RIP Mr Mountjoy.

Only the second UK Champion to pass on after Alex Higgins in 2010. He got to a good age though, which is encouraging for other players.

I like that clip of Pot Black earlier in the thread, great action shot of John Pulman as well, another lost legend.

Postby csprince

a nice tribute on bbc2 wales.one of the games gentleman.