Post a reply

World final (bo35). Peak Hendry vs Peak Higgins. Who wins?

Stephen Hendry
56%
John Higgins
44%

Total votes : 39

peak Hendry vs peak Higgins

Postby TheRocket

Hendry and Higgins never played at the Crucible until 2012 where a well past his prime Hendry beat a terrible Higgins 12:4. They never played each other when they both played reasonably well, lets say late 90's.

Bo35 World final. Peak Hendry vs Peak Higgins. Who wins?

Re: peak Hendry vs peak Higgins

Postby cupotee

Let's say any of 07 09 or 11 higgins against any hendry of your choosing if both played at their best I'd be surprised if Higgins didn't win .

Postby Reg Varney

Think I have to vote Honest John here.

Actually, I think peak Higgins beats everyone bar peak O'Sullivan.

Postby Juddernaut88

Amazed with the amount of votes going to Higgins. Head to head between them was even. Expected this to be a lot lot closer.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Amazed with the amount of votes going to Higgins. Head to head between them was even. Expected this to be a lot lot closer.

I voted Hendry, just to even it out.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Amazed with the amount of votes going to Higgins. Head to head between them was even. Expected this to be a lot lot closer.

I voted Hendry, just to even it out.

Good lad :)

Postby McManusFan

Dan-cat wrote:By choosing Higgins you are basically saying he is higher on the all time GOAT list.

No.

No you aren't, you're just saying it's a good matchup for Higgins. Nobody (that I know of) thinks Mark Johnston-Allan is greater than Hendry, but their head-to-head is famously bad for Hendry.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Comparisons of this nature are always unfair on the player who "went first", as it were. However good John is or was (at his peak), so much of his game, strategy of break building, attitude, inspiration would have come from learning from Hendry. Without Hendry it is quite likely Higgins would've been only a fraction of the player he became.

Postby Juddernaut88

badtemperedcyril wrote:Comparisons of this nature are always unfair on the player who "went first", as it were. However good John is or was (at his peak), so much of his game, strategy of break building, attitude, inspiration would have come from learning from Hendry. Without Hendry it is quite likely Higgins would've been only a fraction of the player he became.

:goodpost:

Postby Iranu

badtemperedcyril wrote:Comparisons of this nature are always unfair on the player who "went first", as it were. However good John is or was (at his peak), so much of his game, strategy of break building, attitude, inspiration would have come from learning from Hendry. Without Hendry it is quite likely Higgins would've been only a fraction of the player he became.

I think you have to take that as a given. Things like playing conditions less so.

Postby Reg Varney

Dan-cat wrote:By choosing Higgins you are basically saying he is higher on the all time GOAT list.

No.

Disagree completely with this statement.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I picked Hendry. But in the end, I think it's a very close call. I don't think there's a definitive answer to this. If Hendry and Higgins at their absolute best would play ten best of 35 matches, I think Hendry would win 6 of them. But I'm not sure about this. Higgins at his best is a beast. Hendry at his best was unbelievable.

Postby Juddernaut88

Holden Chinaski wrote:I picked Hendry. But in the end, I think it's a very close call. I don't think there's a definitive answer to this. If Hendry and Higgins at their absolute best would play ten best of 35 matches, I think Hendry would win 6 of them. But I'm not sure about this. Higgins at his best is a beast. Hendry at his best was unbelievable.

:goodpost:

Postby badtemperedcyril

The other great attribute Hendry had was his single mindedness and absolute determination and will to succeed. He would accept nothing less than being No.1 and World Champion. It’s like when he was interviewed as a 16 or 17 year old after losing his Crucible debut. He predicted there and then that he would “win it within five years”... It wasn’t big headedness - he absolutely knew what he wanted and what he intended to do.

Postby Wildey

im keeping out of this ill be called biased so cant be fussed with that rubbish.

Postby Iranu

Wildey wrote:im keeping out of this ill be called biased so cant be fussed with that rubbish.

I’m surprised Higgins is winning.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
Wildey wrote:im keeping out of this ill be called biased so cant be fussed with that rubbish.

Me too. I suspect Hendry would swap his 7 World titles for Higgins’ 4 if he could win this poll instead

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Me too. I suspect Hendry would swap his 7 World titles for Higgins’ 4 if he could win this poll instead

rofl rofl

Postby mick745

Hendry's total desire was to be world champion and WN1. Never thought Higgins had the same burning desire.

It's Hendry for me.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I think Higgins has had a bit of a drinking problem, to be honest. I think he never really fulfilled his full potential because of this. Hendry in his prime was the ultimate pro, he didn't let anything come in the way of his goals. And his goal was to be the best.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I think Higgins has had a bit of a drinking problem, to be honest. I think he never really fulfilled his full potential because of this. Hendry in his prime was the ultimate pro, he didn't let anything come in the way of his goals. And his goal was to be the best.