Post a reply

Re: Could snooker face a gambling sponsorship problem?

Postby HappyCamper

The article is behind a paywall.

It's pretty well expected that much greater restrictions on advertising and sponsorship as part of the 2005 Gambling Act Review.

We don't allow tobacco advertising for good reasons. If same is true for gambling and sports have to adapt to having less predatory sponsors, so be it.

Postby SnookerEd25

Hearn will probably get into bed with the junk food brigade for the next wave of sponsors then, until they become the next set of predators to be brought down by restrictive advertising rules...

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:The article is behind a paywall.

It's pretty well expected that much greater restrictions on advertising and sponsorship as part of the 2005 Gambling Act Review.

We don't allow tobacco advertising for good reasons. If same is true for gambling and sports have to adapt to having less predatory sponsors, so be it.

Really?

Weird. It let me read it without paying.

I'm at my parents. May I be able to get online without paying using their Wifi, even if I'm on my own phone?

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:

Really?

I'm at my parents. May I be able to get online without paying using their Wifi, even if I'm on my own phone?

I'd have thought would need to sign in on a specific device to read. Did you get a Times subscription and forgot about it!

Postby McManusFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:Hearn will probably get into bed with the junk food brigade for the next wave of sponsors then, until they become the next set of predators to be brought down by restrictive advertising rules...

What happened to Trump's Burger King deal?

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Doubt i’d be able to see the story. Don’t they hide everything behind a paywall?

I seemed to be able to read it.

Snooker is hanging on atm and there are serious threats to the current number of televised tournaments.

Assume you are trolling?

With the number of viewers that snooker has Worldwide sponsors will not be a problem.
This is a non-story, can we be level-headed perhaps?

#DanLovesYou but seriously snooker fans are easily scandalized

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Doubt i’d be able to see the story. Don’t they hide everything behind a paywall?

I seemed to be able to read it.

Snooker is hanging on atm and there are serious threats to the current number of televised tournaments.

Assume you are trolling?

With the number of viewers that snooker has Worldwide sponsors will not be a problem.

Loves you too Dan

Time will tell and I hope you are right, but the sponsorship of events is currently heavily reliant on betting firms .

At the moment a ban on logos in sponsorship deals is only being considered.

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:Assume you are trolling?

While I agree with you, World Snooker are apparently aware of the betting reliance and have been working to address it. So if sponsorship’s not a problem why does it seem so difficult to find non-gambling sponsors?

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Really?

I'd have thought would need to sign in on a specific device to read. Did you get a Times subscription and forgot about it!

No.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Hmm.

Weird. At home, and can't read it now.

Maybe just me being thick, as usual.

Maybe your parents have a registration to the Times?

They might. They get it delivered every day directly from The Times. (Not a newsagents.)

That's why I asked if it was possible that I could be reading it on their Wifi. I was on my own device.

Postby Ck147

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

They might. They get it delivered every day directly from The Times. (Not a newsagents.)

That's why I asked if it was possible that I could be reading it on their Wifi. I was on my own device.

Some sites give a few free views before asking you to sign up.

Postby SnookerFan

Ck147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Some sites give a few free views before asking you to sign up.

That's probably a more sensible explanation.

Postby Cloud Strife

SteveJJ wrote:Lo and behold... a non betting sponsor signs up for what was the Coral series.

Welcome Cazoo!

Good news. Maybe the recent news about gambling sponsorship being banned is the kick up the backside Hearn needed.