Post a reply

Most memorable aftermaths to 147 breaks

Postby Witz78

The aftermath of a 147 immediately after the black ball is potted is always a unique event a bit like a football player celebrating a goal and a release of energy and emotions which is basically whatver he feels like doing or whatever comes into his head at the time.

Some memorables one for me.

1983 WC - Thorburn, obviously who can forget his fellow Canadian Werbenuik coming round from the other table to embrace Cliff.

1995 WC Hendry - White looked to be congratulating Hendry through gritted teeth whilst thinking, what on earth can i do to beat this guy.

1997 WC - O Sullivan - Opponent Mick Price looked like a rabbit in the headlamps as he sheepishly went to shakes hands with Ronnie then step back and let Ronnie saviour the applause.

2008 WC - Carter - Having missed his own 147 chance in the previous frame, Ebdon basically chased Carte around the table to catch him and embrace him after he achieved the feat in the next frame.

2010 World Open - O Sullivan - Verhass, King and all the fans totally bemused by what had happened.

Any others that stick in the memory?

Re: Most memorable aftermaths to 147 breaks

Postby Smart

I think the celebration afterwards plays a big part in how much you enjoy it and how memorable the 147 is. Carters celebration was top notch. ROS in Glasgow was jaw dropping by dint of him asking about the prize at such an early stage, just as a wind up, and then the hand-shaking incident.

Its just too hard to narrow down to a favourite max for me. <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

My favourite one was Williams' maximum in 2005, where he had to pull off some ridiculous potts with end-of-break looking odds on three or four times.

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:That's not technically the aftermath though ...

Well no, the aftermath was all very low key really, but it's still my favourite maximum. Sorry for going off topic :redneck:

Postby SnookerFan

Ding Junhui, The Masters. 14.01.2007....

I lean over to my mate, whisper; "I only realised that was on four balls before the end." She smiles, nods and says; "I know, me neither." The cameras caught that bit of conversation between us.

That clip was shown every time Ding played for ages, and you can still see me leaning over and speaking to somebody whenever classic 147s get played. A link to it was posted the other day by somebody else on this site.

Postby Monique

2 mini "corrections"

2010 WO - Jan Verhaas was certainly not bemused. In Fuerth in August he had told Bernie Mickelheit, another ref (German), that if Ronnie was to make a maxi this season he would leave the black on the table. That was in August. So Jan was prepared for what happened as Ronnie has be open about his intentions already weeks before. So clearly it was all theatre.

1997 WC. - I'm not sure Mick Price was like a rabbit in headlights. He was fascinated. He said afterwards something along the lines "When it came to the green, he (ROS) took a deep breath and I thought 'the bloke is human after all'"

Best celebration was probably Carter, he was literally bursting with pride and joy.

Postby Monique

Bourne wrote:Monique, do you remember what it was like to last smile ?

I certainly do ... but maybe what amuses me me is not the same that what amuses you. I find it quite amusing that the 140+7 raised so much discussions, flames, insults and raging while it was all pure theatre between 2 persons who knew what was going on. Jan played along quite convincingly.

As for Mick Price, I think his reaction is quite amusing also in it's own way. I'm always wondering what the players have on their mind when they are at the receiving end of a maxi.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:

I certainly do ... but maybe what amuses me me is not the same that what amuses you. I find it quite amusing that the 140+7 raised so much discussions, flames, insults and raging while it was all pure theatre between 2 persons who knew what was going on. Jan played along quite convincingly.

As for Mick Price, I think his reaction is quite amusing also in it's own way. I'm always wondering what the players have on their mind when they are at the receiving end of a maxi.

personally i find it a myth when the commentators say as the camera pans onto the opponent "now that the frame is over, he will be willing his opponent onto make this 147"

Im sure some deep down hope their opponent misses and lets this play on their mind for the rest of the game affecting them. Just the competitive edge in some players too, whod rather not have to sit and see their opponent celebrating and getting all the plaudits.

Postby Monique

I'm sure you're right. But it obviously depends on the players' character and on the relationship between the two ...
Peter Ebdon looked genuinely happy for Ali Carter. Marco Fu after watching Ronnie "inflict" him his 147 in the WC said "It was like watching God playing snooker ... ". When Dave Harold missed the green for a 147 in the Belgian Open, his opponent was as disappointed as himself and the crowd. The match was stopped for an unprogrammed MSI and everyone went for a drink at the bar ...

Postby Wildey

Ken Dohertys Aftermath of the one that Got Away in the 2000 Masters Final was very memorable everyone was getting ready to applause and congratulate him on potting the final black Stevens was off his seat ready to shake his hand and Bang he missed <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
Monique wrote:

personally i find it a myth when the commentators say as the camera pans onto the opponent "now that the frame is over, he will be willing his opponent onto make this 147"

Im sure some deep down hope their opponent misses and lets this play on their mind for the rest of the game affecting them. Just the competitive edge in some players too, whod rather not have to sit and see their opponent celebrating and getting all the plaudits.

making a 147 can disrupt your game just as much as missing one .

Hendry 2009 vs Murphy springs to mind .....he was coasting in that match after the 147 his game fell apart.

ok it would be different if hendry or any player was really at the peak of their game but when you get that buzz of making a 147 your concentration can waver after if your not mentally at your peak.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:Ding Junhui, The Masters. 14.01.2007....

I lean over to my mate, whisper; "I only realised that was on four balls before the end." She smiles, nods and says; "I know, me neither." The cameras caught that bit of conversation between us.

That clip was shown every time Ding played for ages, and you can still see me leaning over and speaking to somebody whenever classic 147s get played. A link to it was posted the other day by somebody else on this site.

bad monkey :idea: bad monkey :idea:

Postby PLtheRef

Monique wrote:2 mini "corrections"

2010 WO - Jan Verhaas was certainly not bemused. In Fuerth in August he had told Bernie Mickelheit, another ref (German), that if Ronnie was to make a maxi this season he would leave the black on the table. That was in August. So Jan was prepared for what happened as Ronnie has be open about his intentions already weeks before. So clearly it was all theatre.

1997 WC. - I'm not sure Mick Price was like a rabbit in headlights. He was fascinated. He said afterwards something along the lines "When it came to the green, he (ROS) took a deep breath and I thought 'the bloke is human after all'"

Best celebration was probably Carter, he was literally bursting with pride and joy.

Hows Bernie doing? Not seen him for ages.

Postby Alex0paul

Another good aftermath was after John Higgins made one in the LG Cup final in 2003. He came back in the arena covered with his wife's lipstick.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:Another good aftermath was after John Higgins made one in the LG Cup final in 2003. He came back in the arena covered with his wife's lipstick.

no he came back in to the Arena Covered in Lipstick who was Actually smudging him with lipstick isnt confirmed :evilgrin:

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:Another good aftermath was after John Higgins made one in the LG Cup final in 2003. He came back in the arena covered with his wife's lipstick.

no he came back in to the Arena Covered in Lipstick who was Actually smudging him with lipstick isnt confirmed :evilgrin:

rofl

Wild assumes that because he didn't witness the event personally, he has to report the news as; "John Higgins returns to the table with lipstick from an uncomfirmed person."

You ever considered a job at The NOTW? Sounds like the sort of fact-based-journalism they'd enjoy. <laugh>