Post a reply

Thanawat Thirapongpaiboon makes a 147

Postby SnookerFan

Thanawat Thirapongpaiboon becomes the youngest player ever to make a 147....

Shame that match wasn't commentated on, the commentator's pronunciation would be interesting. I hope I see him at The Crucible. I want to shout; "Give us a T." rofl

Re: Thanawat Thirapongpaiboon makes a 147

Postby Bourne

randam05 wrote:Strange that now theres no prize, theres been a lot.

You've inadvertently answered your own question I think !!!

Postby Monique

Well there were 10 in 1999 ... with less tournaments and less players playing in those tournaments. So it's not really surprising is it? It's hardly a new phenomenon. It's linked to the combination of more favorable conditions and better in-depth standard in the game.

Postby SnookerFan

Prize money for winning tournaments is going up, so it's not like prize money is disappearing from the game. I always thought getting £147,000 at The Crucible was a tad much anyway. You win one frame, and you get more money then the losing finalist gets.

Postby Monique

prize money available globally is on the up this season, yet prize money for each tournament is not. The China Open was worth more 10 years ago than now, the money has gone down for most tournaments over the years. This season is an improvement because there are much more opportunities to play.
147 000 is probably too much for a single frame, although if it was that easy you have to wonder why there weren't more of them at the WC. But as it is I think there should be a special prize for maximum breaks in each tournament even it that means that making one in the WC would "only" award the player something like 20 000.

Postby randam05

I have just had a though..147's certainly deserve something. Why not a ranking point bonus for getting one? That would be a good idea I think..whats wrong with that??

Postby Bourne

randam05 wrote:I have just had a though..147's certainly deserve something. Why not a ranking point bonus for getting one? That would be a good idea I think..whats wrong with that??

Terrible idea, 147 break is still the same as a 1 break, a frame win is a frame win and that's all it should be.

Postby SnookerFan

randam05 wrote:I have just had a though..147's certainly deserve something. Why not a ranking point bonus for getting one? That would be a good idea I think..whats wrong with that??

<laugh>

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:

<laugh>

why not give them something like a Marks and Spencers voucher for their achievement........................... <ok>

Postby Witz78

Bourne wrote:

Terrible idea, 147 break is still the same as a 1 break, a frame win is a frame win and that's all it should be.

personally i think 147 bonus ranking points would be appropriate <ok>

Postby randam05

Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:

thankyou <cool>

Postby sundaygirl

Witz78 wrote:
Bourne wrote:

In this case the 147 probably cost him ranking points the excitement of your first would make it hard to focus on the rest of the match.
I remember Marco Fu making one in wales I think and he could not pot a ball next frame

Postby Eirebilly

I dont think ranking points for a 147 is a good idea really as its just one frame after all, ok a remarkable frame but still just one frame.

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
Monique wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Image

he was actually the one who reffed that match... first 147 for him also.

it wont be Olivier's last - he has a very big future - you heard it here first <ok> :idea: <ok> :idea:

Oliver <cool>