Topic locked

Higgins comeback - what do you expect ?

Postby Bourne

Three-time world champion John Higgins is scheduled to make his return to snooker next month.

The Scot, who was banned for six months for bringing the sport into disrepute, will play Joe Jogia in a European Tour Championship event in Germany.

The tournament runs from November 11 to 14 in Hamm.

In September, Higgins was fined £75,000 and suspended, backdated to May, for not reporting an illegal approach made to him to discuss throwing frames.

Despite his enforced absence from the game, the 35-year-old from Wishaw is still ranked third in the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 119743.stm

So the date, location and event is just about set for his comeback ... but what do you expect from Higgins after his 6 month absence from the game ? Is it too soon for him to be challenging for titles again ? Should he be using these PTCs as purely match-practice for the bigger events, in particular the up-coming UK Championship, or does he need a win here in Hamm to kickstart his confidence again ?

Re: Higgins comeback - what do you expect ?

Postby GJ

At least john will turning up for these events unlike chigwell's finest who cant be bothered

Postby Wildey

This is the million pound question.

he cant be the same man on his return thats imposible some still think hes guilty and others think he got off lightly he knows people still talking and he will feel intimidated at first but if and i do stress if he turns up in hamm (dont forget his attendance could be determined by his fathers health) but if he does its better his first match back isn't at the UK so that he can start to feel his way in the game again.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:This is the million pound question.

he cant be the same man on his return thats imposible some still think hes guilty and others think he got off lightly he knows people still talking and he will feel intimidated at first but if and i do stress if he turns up in hamm (dont forget his attendance could be determined by his fathers health) but if he does its better his first match back isn't at the UK so that he can start to feel his way in the game again.

me and my fellow Higgins booboys will get him eventually <cool>

Postby Roland

I think he'll hit the ground running myself. He won't lose to a mug put it that way - and you can quote me on that.

Postby GJ

Sonny wrote:I think he'll hit the ground running myself. He won't lose to a mug put it that way - and you can quote me on that.

would your prodigy constitute as a mug

:santa: <laugh>

Postby Tubberlad

Sonny wrote:I think he'll hit the ground running myself. He won't lose to a mug put it that way - and you can quote me on that.

He's too good for that to happen, but I don't expect him to blow everyone away. It's sure to have an effect on him, and not a positive one.

I like Higgins, he's an excellent snooker player, but I can't see him making another World Final in his career. I'd be just as happy to be honest, as I think three World Titles is a fair reflection in my opinion. As ridiculous as that comment may sound.

Postby Roland

No he won't blow everyone away and it'll take him till the rest of the season before he's a serious contender again, and he probably only has another 5 years at the very top of the game absolute maximum, but I will be surprised if he withers away and is majorly affected by this. I see him as the sort of character who will do a Beckham after the sending off in '98 and end up back in everyones good books again after a few dramatic performances and a bit of community service by way of educating the younger professionals in the pitfalls of mixing with the wrong crowd.

Also, he has the ability to propel himself back up the rankings again at the start of the 2012 season and I bet he's already aware of and looking forward to that

Postby Tubberlad

I certainly don't think he has five years in him, no way. I'd say three tops.

It will be interesting to see how snooker fans welcome him back. Will there be doubts in people's minds, no matter what he does? True for some I suppose...

Postby Wildey

i expect him to beat Jogia and reach the last 32 but then bom out to hardened players.

Postby Roland

Yeah of course there will always be that sort of person who snipes from the sidelines acting all holier than thou but with their own dark secrets they wouldn't like anyone else knowing. I think JH should just get his head down and let his snooker do the talking. He obviously hasn't got a career in snooker promotion ahead of him but I am 100% certain he will redeem himself by way of dedication back into the game once his ranking starts to slide.

As for the 5 years thing, don't knock it. He is an incredibly good snooker player, mindblowingly good. Look at Steve Davis and Jimmy White still mixing it on the tour into their 50s and we're talking about JH being good enough at the age of 40. Of course he'll be good enough - you don't suddenly lose your eyesight and start blobbing when you get to 40. It's the peak age to be a golfer. If it all goes the way of shot clocks and Power Snooker then yeah, but real snooker no way. He'll be around for a long time yet, trust me.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Yeah of course there will always be that sort of person who snipes from the sidelines acting all holier than thou but with their own dark secrets they wouldn't like anyone else knowing. I think JH should just get his head down and let his snooker do the talking. He obviously hasn't got a career in snooker promotion ahead of him but I am 100% certain he will redeem himself by way of dedication back into the game once his ranking starts to slide.

As for the 5 years thing, don't knock it. He is an incredibly good snooker player, mindblowingly good. Look at Steve Davis and Jimmy White still mixing it on the tour into their 50s and we're talking about JH being good enough at the age of 40. Of course he'll be good enough - you don't suddenly lose your eyesight and start blobbing when you get to 40. It's the peak age to be a golfer. If it all goes the way of shot clocks and Power Snooker then yeah, but real snooker no way. He'll be around for a long time yet, trust me.

you dont know any of it its just guess work .

one day Every player would have won their last tournament and at that time you never think it would happen but it does.

John might have won his last tournament who knows until it hits you 5 or 6 years down the line yes he can bom about for years like Steve and Jimmy but they win nothing.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:Yeah of course there will always be that sort of person who snipes from the sidelines acting all holier than thou but with their own dark secrets they wouldn't like anyone else knowing. I think JH should just get his head down and let his snooker do the talking. He obviously hasn't got a career in snooker promotion ahead of him but I am 100% certain he will redeem himself by way of dedication back into the game once his ranking starts to slide.

you dont know any of it its just guess work .

one day Every player would have won their last tournament and at that time you never think it would happen but it does.

John might have won his last tournament who knows until it hits you 5 or 6 years down the line yes he can bom about for years like Steve and Jimmy but they win nothing.

and bom about like Hendry <cool>

Postby Witz78

Jimmys only 48 <ok>

Postby Tubberlad

Higgins has been proven not guilty by an impartial and well respected group. I like the man, and I would agree that he's a marvellous snooker player. I missed the days of Hendry, so I would put him as the second best player I've seen, and not all that far behind O'Sullivan. I'll be happy to see him back personally, let bygones be bygones.

I have no doubt he will win the majority of snooker fans back after he does something incredible. I certainly think he'll win another ranker or two, and a one-table performance at the Crucible isn't beyone him.

Five years? Can't see it, but won't begrudge it.

Postby randam05

Hmm, i think its horrible that this has all happened still. he has never been my fav player but always thought highly of him and for me, is second best of the decade, if not first. Hes so tough to beat. Hope fans dont hate him, he deserves a little respect for the way hes dealt with it, and with his father dying aswell. Horrible times for him and i bow down to him for carrying on his snooker career really, he must dearly love it.

Postby Wildey

Yes lets see i bet the guy is stressed as it is Dont expect to much from him and lets not forget his Fathers situation Snooker is hard enough without that on your mind.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Hmm, i think its horrible that this has all happened still. he has never been my fav player but always thought highly of him and for me, is second best of the decade, if not first. Hes so tough to beat. Hope fans dont hate him, he deserves a little respect for the way hes dealt with it, and with his father dying aswell. Horrible times for him and i bow down to him for carrying on his snooker career really, he must dearly love it.

Great Words <ok>

Postby randam05

I would dearly LOVE to see him win a world title for his dad like he said he wants too. 4 would be about right for him i feel, hes certainly classy enough for a 4th world title. i would say 4 for williams too actually would be about right. But yes, i would seriously love to see it. Especially if his father was around when he does it.

Postby Tubberlad

Yeah, well said Randam. I think Higgins is a nice bloke and one of the best players of all time, certainly. What has happened is very unfortunate, and if one incident in all this stood out as particularly distasteful it would be his son's first communion being ruined by the press... sad stuff.

Higgins will win most people back, and I'll be looking forward to his return. Although I admit I had great doubts about the whole incident at the time, I also didn't have all the information and the understanding that those who've made the crucial call have.

Postby Wildey

i dont really give a toss how he plays i dont think he gives a toss..so he might play with freedom because there was a time he might have thought he would never play again.

Postby Tubberlad

randam05 wrote:I would dearly LOVE to see him win a world title for his dad like he said he wants too. 4 would be about right for him i feel, hes certainly classy enough for a 4th world title. i would say 4 for williams too actually would be about right. But yes, i would seriously love to see it. Especially if his father was around when he does it.

I'd prefer to see Ronnie win a fourth as he's better than both. However, I can see where you're coming from, and it goes without saying I wish his father well...

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:Hmm, i think its horrible that this has all happened still. he has never been my fav player but always thought highly of him and for me, is second best of the decade, if not first. Hes so tough to beat. Hope fans dont hate him, he deserves a little respect for the way hes dealt with it, and with his father dying aswell. Horrible times for him and i bow down to him for carrying on his snooker career really, he must dearly love it.

i couldnt give a damn about Higgins and his future career. He doesnt exist as far as im concerned and ill simply blank out his results, matches and interviews as if they havent happened. <ok>

If Hann got 8 years, Higgins should have got similar. End of !!

Postby Bourne

In terms of this tournament I think he'll lose quite early, but the UK is going to be a massive goal for him to build towards and think he can more than compete. Is it possible you can become a bad player overnight ? No I don't think so, but he has to keep applying himself in practice like he was up to several months ago before everything happened and once the 'culture shock' of the first couple of tournaments are out of the way, he'll know where his game is at and we will then see the real Higgins. Whether he wins another World title or not, I have no idea but that's not because I don't rate Higgins, more the players that are coming up the ranks in Robbo/Selby/Ding et al and them building the confidence over the better players with the more experience they get.

Postby randam05

thetubberlad wrote:
randam05 wrote:I would dearly LOVE to see him win a world title for his dad like he said he wants too. 4 would be about right for him i feel, hes certainly classy enough for a 4th world title. i would say 4 for williams too actually would be about right. But yes, i would seriously love to see it. Especially if his father was around when he does it.

I'd prefer to see Ronnie win a fourth as he's better than both. However, I can see where you're coming from, and it goes without saying I wish his father well...

<ok> ronnie fourth world title = :D

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:In terms of this tournament I think he'll lose quite early, but the UK is going to be a massive goal for him to build towards and think he can more than compete. Is it possible you can become a bad player overnight ? No I don't think so, but he has to keep applying himself in practice like he was up to several months ago before everything happened and once the 'culture shock' of the first couple of tournaments are out of the way, he'll know where his game is at and we will then see the real Higgins. Whether he wins another World title or not, I have no idea but that's not because I don't rate Higgins, more the players that are coming up the ranks in Robbo/Selby/Ding et al and them building the confidence over the better players with the more experience they get.

yes and some of the players labeled "future world champion" might never win one.

Postby Roland

wild his career will still be successful if he reaches a bunch of finals and semi-finals in the big events. What you have to take on board is that Higgins plays a smarter game than Hendry. Hendry's game was all about potting everything in sight and using his peak male years in his 20's to blast everyone else off the table. His style was never going to last into his 30s whereas Higgins has the game to be a contender when he's 40. He's smarter than Hendry in the way he plays - he has the game to know when he doesn't fancy a pot whereas Hendry couldn't adjust his own game to turn down the shots he never missed when he was at his absolute sharpest.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:wild his career will still be successful if he reaches a bunch of finals and semi-finals in the big events. What you have to take on board is that Higgins plays a smarter game than Hendry. Hendry's game was all about potting everything in sight and using his peak male years in his 20's to blast everyone else off the table. His style was never going to last into his 30s whereas Higgins has the game to be a contender when he's 40. He's smarter than Hendry in the way he plays - he has the game to know when he doesn't fancy a pot whereas Hendry couldn't adjust his own game to turn down the shots he never missed when he was at his absolute sharpest.

All im saying is we do not know what the future holds for him success wise we just cant say how all this rubbish has affected him .

Postby Roland

Yeah I know but it's not going to take his game away from him. It may affect his confidence but as we all know, an unconfident Higgins with his back against the wall is a dangerous animal. That's generally what sparks him into life. His statement outside the court revealed a lot too - he talked about coming out fighting and winning more titles. If he's talking the talk then he is one person I expect to walk the walk.