Post a reply

Re: Never Ending Quiz

Postby Iranu

Not Ants although although he kind of shares a feat with this player.

Postby SnookerEd25

Bjorn Haneveer - an all Belgian clash?

Postby Iranu

Not Haneveer or Holt. He did beat Holt but not in the final round.

Postby SnookerEd25

Closer to home : Gerard Greene?

Postby Alex0paul

Would’ve been someone ranked 17-32 so I’ll guess Marcus Campbell

Postby SnookerEd25

LDS wrote:
[greedily going for both rather than flick a coin]

It cannot be both. That would have been a harsh requirement.

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:And so is Mark King for that matter.

Quiz etiquette dictates one guess at a time otherwise someone could theoretically make ten guesses at once.

Who d’you wanna go for? Flick that coin!

Postby Iranu

Not Gilbert, Greene or Campbell

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:And so is Mark King for that matter.

Quiz etiquette dictates one guess at a time otherwise someone could theoretically make ten guesses at once.

Who d’you wanna go for? Flick that coin!

You say that as if it matters when there are almost unlimited possible answers ;) (and they are both probably wrong)

Mark King 1st.

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:You say that as if it matters when there are almost unlimited possible answers ;) (and they are both probably wrong)

Mark King 1st.

Etiquette matters.

Mark King is correct :D

Postby LDS

Oh well, I've got too much to do to concoct a decent question, so here's an easy one, first one to answer will probably get it:

We are so used to seeing snooker players in black that we forget that they never were much in black in the early days of television.

As an example, what was Steve Davis' preferred colour of suit when he first started gracing the circuit as a seeded player?

And just so it's not too hiss easy, what colour was Dennis Taylor's favourite colour of suit during the same era?

Postby LDS

Not grey, though that was Alex Higgins' preferred choice.

Oh well, I hoped it would be quick, fair warning was given, I've got to log off now for a few hours, I'll check in later, sorry if this slows everything down.

Postby SnookerEd25

I'll try dark blue for both, though like JN88 I always seem to picture the young Davis in a grey suit (and red shirt), at least for the afternoon sessions. :chin:

Postby LDS

Well, blue will do, without getting into shading.

And, yes, they even had different colours for different parts of the day, fantastic!

But, yes, blue was the de rigueur colour of the showpiece event for most players back then. Barely anyone wore black.

I think Dennis wore brown for the afternoon sessions.

Over to you Ed

Postby SnookerEd25

Best set a question before I get my head down, then. Don't want to leave anyone 'patiently waiting' any longer than they have to...

During the years of the Wildcard Round at the Masters, there were generally two places available; one at the discretion of World Snooker (usually awarded to Alex Higgins, Steve Davis or Jimmy White if they hadn't qualified by right) and one to the winner of the Masters Qualifying Event.

Name the first (1990) and last (2009) winners of the qualifying event.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Errrrm Alan McManus and Judd Trump

McManus is correct, beat James Wattana 9-5 in 1990 (interesting it was a BO17 final to qualify for an event in which the opening 3 rounds matches were BO9! Just goes to show the prestige of a ‘final’ in those days, even a ‘minor’ one)

Still looking for the ‘09 winner...

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Errrm Ricky Walden?

Clever answer, because Walden was a wildcard in the 2009 event (as was Judd Trump), but bear in mind with the Masters being held so early in the calendar year, the qualifying competition was held toward the end of the previous year. So the winner of the 2009 event actually qualified for the 2010 Masters, after which the Wildcard round was scrapped.