Post a reply

Re: Masters Memories

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:Yep. Great day of sport.

And apparently there was also darts involved.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Yep. Great day of sport.

And apparently there was also darts involved.

pmsl

Postby Andre147

Best Masters memories? I'll make reference to matches I watched live and via Youtube, as some I wasn't even born or was very young:

1984 Kirk Stevens v Jimmy White,
1985 Higgins v Davis
1987 Taylor v Higgins
1991 Hallet v Hendry
1996 Bond v ROS
1997 ROS v Davis
1998 MJW v Hendry
2001 White v ROS
All Paul Hunter Finals
2005 Stevens v White
2006 Higgins v ROS
2007 ROS v Ding
2009, 2010 and 2014 Selby v ROS
2014 Walden v ROS
2016 Selby v ROS

Lots of matches there, and many which Ronnie lost, but they stick with me.

Postby SnookerFan

Meeting Michaela Tabb. More than once.

The first time, I ran down after the match and asked for a photo with her. (I still have it framed at home.)

Honestly, people talk about her good looks. But when you meet her, she has a rare almost unique aura around her. I was a grown man and came away giggling like a school girl.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Meeting Michaela Tabb. More than once.

The first time, I ran down after the match and asked for a photo with her. (I still have it framed at home.)

Honestly, people talk about her good looks. But when you meet her, she has a rare almost unique aura around her. I was a grown man and came away giggling like a school girl.

<laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:

<laugh>

Stop laughing. That's a treasured memory. :grrr:

Postby SnookerEd25

You were a grown man?

What happened???

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:

You were a grown man?

What happened???

Can't you read?

I met Michaela and turned into a school girl.

Postby Prop

Ding vs Ron 1st round 2021.

Worthy of inclusion, right? Great match.

Postby SnookerEd25

2004 : Enter the Dragon

Whilst I was never a fan of the Wildcard Round, this year did prove to be something special in that regard. World Snooker had granted an entry to 16yr old IBSF U21 Champion, Ding Junhui in his first season as a professional and a complete unknown. Although he had to be quite promising to be afforded this honour, I felt it likely that the combination of live TV exposure, a vast arena plus crowd, and a wily, experienced opponent in Joe Perry would mean he wouldn't live up to hype, at least on this occasion.

Boy, was I wrong.

Breaks of 58, 62, & 108 took him sailing into a 3-0 lead. Perry couldn't get a look-in! And although the cagey Fenlander did manage to get a foothold with a 68 of his own in the next, the youngster added runs of 118, 61 & 55 in the second half of the match to run out a comfortable 6-3 victor, and move on to a 1st round match with Stephen Lee, then a major force in the game (world no.5)

No less impressive was his showing when the Lee match came round; even after his exploits so far, I didn't expect him to trouble the portly west country potter, especially after Lee took the first comfortably. But Ding struck again, an 84 levelling matters in the second. As he moved effortlessly into a 3-1 lead, I was beginning to believe the youngster could pull off another major shock. After the interval, when an 89 and an 81 in consecutive frames helped him to move into a 5-2 lead, I was even starting to think he could win the whole damn thing!

Unfortunately, that was as good as it got for Ding, and when the next went to a black ball finish I felt if he couldn't get over the line here, he'd eventually buckle under the extra know-how of the favourite and so it transpired; Lee took that 8th frame, and the following three to bag his quarter-final spot. He'd been given a major scare, though, and this was one Chinese youngster to definitely keep an eye on next season...

What a debut!

Postby SnookerFan

Prop wrote:Ding vs Ron 1st round 2021.

Worthy of inclusion, right? Great match.

How did you remember that?

It was so long ago.

Postby sundaygirl

This isn’t going to be great anecdote, because I can’t be bothered to check the details
But one of the best matches I ever had a ticket for was between the 2 players currently playing
Allen bt Higgins and was sooo brilliant that for a good while afterward I ceased to mind that personality wise he’s a bit of a tit

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:This isn’t going to be great anecdote, because I can’t be bothered to check the details
But one of the best matches I ever had a ticket for was between the 2 players currently playing
Allen bt Higgins and was sooo brilliant that for a good while afterward I ceased to mind that personality wise he’s a bit of a tit

Was I at that one? Guess I must've been.

Postby sundaygirl

I think our date was the following day that year
I vaguely remember discussing how great it was in the bar when we did meet up