Post a reply

Masters Memories

Postby Dragonfly

So it's Masters time once again. This wonderful event has given so many memorable moments over the years. There's been so many. I've just compiled a few, not in any particular order.

1. Williams beats Hendry on respot black.
2. Kirk Steven's makes 147 when 147 was a magical event.
3. Jimmy Whites sensational shot on the pink while clearing up in the very next frame against Stevens.
4. Davis rolls back the years and beats O'Sullivan against all the odds.
5. Hendry in a hopeless situation against Hallett mounts an unlikely comeback to win.
6. Doherty misses a straightforward black for 147.
7. Hunter somehow manages to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in 3 finals.

Just some of the moments from one of my all time favourite events. I'm sure everyone has their own favourite moments and there's loads more that I've not mentioned. Hoping for another memorable week ahead and more classic moments.

Re: Masters Memories

Postby Holden Chinaski

I love The Masters. So many great moments. That's a great list, Dragonfly. I will always remember Hunter's finals. And that final between Hendry and MJW is one of the very best final frames of all time.

Postby Holden Chinaski

The standard of Ronnie's game at the 2005 Masters is also something I will never forget. I remember Ronnie being so good in 2005 it was frightening.

Postby SnookerEd25

Didn’t mention Angles lifting his first major title, & ending Hendry’s aura of invincibility at Wembley in the process in an epic final

Postby Juddernaut88

1998 Masters final is just torture and heartbreaking for me :( don't think I'll ever get over that to be honest.

Postby Cloud Strife

Ding being reduced to tears by Ronnie’s exceptionally good play in the 2007 final.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:Ding being reduced to tears by Ronnie’s exceptionally good play in the 2007 final.

Don’t joke about that mate, seriously. What happened that night was disgusting. Ronnie, for the record, carried himself extremely well and also played like a dream.

Postby TheRocket

Holden Chinaski wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Ms7UhLkzY

2014 Masters Ronnie was a machine. In terms of good performance from start to finish , probably his best.

When it comes to finals only though, 2005 and 2007 was better.

Postby SnookerFan

I always remember attending The Masters as the first proper event that I had been to. (I had been to a Premier League.)

I saw Steve Davis vs Stuart Bingham, Mark Williams vs Paul Hunter and Stephen Hendry vs Alan McManus.

That was the year Higgins beat Ronnie in the final. What a match.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:

2014 Masters Ronnie was a machine. In terms of good performance from start to finish , probably his best.

It’s strange that the 2007 final so often gets overlooked when talking about Ronnie’s best performances. He was sublime that day and very rarely have I seen him look so comfortable in himself.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

It’s strange that the 2007 final so often gets overlooked when talking about Ronnie’s best performances. He was sublime that day and very rarely have I seen him look so comfortable in himself.

its because of the nasty crowd.

But what Ronnie produced that day on the table was a masterclass. And the fact he comforted Ding was just as good.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

He was stunning during that evening session, absolutely stunning, but it was also clear that Ding's head had (very understandably) gone and that he wasn't going to put him under any pressure.

The 2005 final against Higgins was better. Definitely one of his top five performances.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
I saw Steve Davis vs Stuart Bingham,

Was this the year they got proceedings underway on the Sunday, 11AM start but took so long to complete their match that the afternoon and evening sessions had to be pushed back?

Jan Verhaas was reffing, on the morning of the BDO darts final between Jelle Klaassen & Raymond Barneveld. With the rest of the day off he had intended to head down to Lakeside to watch his compatriots duke it out for the title. Davis and Bingham put a spike in those plans! :chuckle:

Still, at least he got to watch Match of the bucking day :evilgrin:

Postby SnookerEd25

Would have been 2006 I think...:chin:

Postby sundaygirl

SnookerFan wrote:Meeting Sundaygirl. :love:

10 year anniversary of that momentous occasion is tomorrow

Robertson beating Hendry 6-3

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Was this the year they got proceedings underway on the Sunday, 11AM start but took so long to complete their match that the afternoon and evening sessions had to be pushed back?

Jan Verhaas was reffing, on the morning of the BDO darts final between Jelle Klaassen & Raymond Barneveld. With the rest of the day off he had intended to head down to Lakeside to watch his compatriots duke it out for the title. Davis and Bingham put a spike in those plans! :chuckle:

Yes, it was.

I nipped out for lunch at 4pm.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Meeting Sundaygirl. :love:

10 year anniversary of that momentous occasion is tomorrow

Robertson beating Hendry 6-3

I'll miss our yearly date.

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:
Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:

He was stunning during that evening session, absolutely stunning, but it was also clear that Ding's head had (very understandably) gone and that he wasn't going to put him under any pressure.

The 2005 final against Higgins was better. Definitely one of his top five performances.

I think it's overlooked because it was the one when Ding got upset, thinking it was over and leaving the arena, and Ronnie hugging him and showing him some love...

Also as you say, once a player has collapsed, despite how good an opponent has been the pressure is off and it's not remembered as much as if both players were performing.

Gonna watch again

Postby Alex0paul

One of the 1st Masters matches I saw was Fu v Robertson in 2008. Was stuck behind some guy who kept calling out “come on Marco” but very softly.

Had to leave before the final frame decider to get my train home.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yes, it was.

I nipped out for lunch at 4pm.

rofl

Postby Prop

The Hunter vs O’Sullivan matches always stick in my mind. There was one spell of safety between the two of them that was bucking mesmerising.

Obviously there’s loads more through history, but I remember watching that, and every shot thinking “yeah he’s got him here, no way he’s getting safe from there” but both players just kept playing perfect safety after perfect safety from seemingly impossible positions.

Postby Juddernaut88

I do consider Ronnie vs Hunter as one of the greatest matches in the 21st century.

Postby badtemperedcyril

I went to Ally Pally one year on a Sunday. Watched a long drawn out afternoon match between Selby and somebody else. There were train strikes going on and it was pretty wet and miserable so we decided to go home instead of staying on for the evening match. I walked in the front door and my housemate said “what are you doing here?” I said we came home early as it was boring... he said “but Marco Fu’s just done a 147!”

Postby SnookerFan

I was at that match and came home for the Fu match.

Not because I was bored, because I didn't have a ticket.

Postby badtemperedcyril

SnookerFan wrote:I was at that match and came home for the Fu match.

Not because I was bored, because I didn't have a ticket.

Ahh ya should’ve said - you could’ve had mine!

Did Selby lose to Smurphy? It went on and on and on for about 5 hours!

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

SnookerEd25 wrote:Would have been 2006 I think...:chin:

Yeah 2006 was the year Klaasen won the darts. For about a decade the BDO final would follow the opening round Masters game.

Postby SnookerEd25

Yep. Great day of sport.