Post a reply

Queens Honours

Postby badtemperedcyril

Surprised that Mark Selby hasn’t had an MBE by now, given the amount he’s won. He also presents himself immaculately and is the model professional.

Previous billiards and snooker players to be honoured:
OBE - Walter Lindrum, Joe Davis, Fred Davis, Steve Davis, Terry Griffiths, Ronnie O’Sullivan

MBE - Clark McConachy, Gary Owen, Ray Reardon, Stephen Hendry, John Parrott, Jimmy White, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Vera Selby

Also, Ted Lowe (broadcasting), Len Ganley (referee) and now Barry Hearn OBE (promoting), Clive Everton (writer and broadcaster).
Last edited by badtemperedcyril on 31 Dec 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Queens Honours

Postby Juddernaut88

Model professional? Not too sure about that.

Postby HappyCamper

Maybe he's been offered but turned it down.

Also I think hendry is missing from your list, didn't he get an MBE.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Juddernaut88 wrote:Model professional? Not too sure about that.

Why? He’s dedicated, sporting, courteous, humble. Perfect role model for any aspiring young player.

Postby badtemperedcyril

HappyCamper wrote:Maybe he's been offered but turned it down.

Also I think hendry is missing from your list, didn't he get an MBE.
Yes my mistake. I thought the list didn’t seem long enough!

Postby Juddernaut88

badtemperedcyril wrote:

Why? He’s dedicated, sporting, courteous, humble. Perfect role model for any aspiring young player.

I considered it "disrespectful" when he led 11-4 in the world championship last 16 2011 against Hendry. He needed 4 snookers in the 16th frame, gets them and wins the frame. How many others would play on needing 4 snookers with a massive massive lead? Not many at all.
Also his actions in the Shanghai Masters final that year with that hit and hope snooker which looked like he fouled but the ref checked it again and changed his mind. It completely turned the match around.
Then questioning the ref in the 2017 world final when he thought he made contact with rolling up to the black but ref called it correctly. Then taking 6 minutes on a shot in the Northern Ireland Open quarter final in 2019 when he was in no trouble whatsoever was taking the absolute biscuit.

Postby SnookerFan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I considered it "disrespectful" when he led 11-4 in the world championship last 16 2011 against Hendry. He needed 4 snookers in the 16th frame, gets them and wins the frame. How many others would play on needing 4 snookers with a massive massive lead? Not many at all.

A person successfully trying to win a frame is considered disrespectful?

I could understand your opinion if he was playing on needing 10 snookers, or whatever. But here, he was clearly able to win the frame, backed himself and did so. Nothing disrespectful in that.

If anything, not trying your best against an opponent is more disrespectful. Do you think somebody like Hendry expects to be given any quarter?

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerFan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:I considered it "disrespectful" when he led 11-4 in the world championship last 16 2011 against Hendry. He needed 4 snookers in the 16th frame, gets them and wins the frame. How many others would play on needing 4 snookers with a massive massive lead? Not many at all.

I could understand your opinion if he was playing on needing 10 snookers, or whatever. But here, he was clearly able to win the frame, backed himself and did so. Nothing disrespectful in that.

If anything, not trying your best against an opponent is more disrespectful. Do you think somebody like Hendry expects to be given any quarter?

If Hendry or Judd played on needing 4+ snookers when leading 11-4 or a had a nice big lead. I'd also rightly criticise them for it and I'm sure plenty others would too. Hendry was also way past his prime in 2011, what difference was 11-5 going to make!

Postby badtemperedcyril

SnookerFan wrote:

Agree with you SF - if Selby had given an inch to Hendry, just because he was 11-4 up would've been disrespectful, not to mention the fact that it could've let Hendry back into the match. If anything, Selby's commitment not to give up on such a frame is testimony to his professionalism.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't really have a problem with people playing on for snookers. Unless it's super ridiculous. Like a player comes to the table trailing 134-0, with only pink and black left and tries to play on for snookers. rofl

I'll grant you it can be frustrating sometimes, if somebody adds twenty five minutes to a frame that looks unlikely that they'll win and ends up losing anyway. But at the end of the day, just because I've got a bit fidgety at the end of a frame, doesn't mean the player doesn't have the right to try to win.

Postby SteveJJ

badtemperedcyril wrote:Surprised that Mark Selby hasn’t had an MBE by now, given the amount he’s won. He also presents himself immaculately and is the model professional.

OBE - Walter Lindrum, Joe Davis, Fred Davis, Steve Davis, Terry Griffiths, Ronnie O’Sullivan

MBE - Clark McConachy, Gary Owen, Ray Reardon, Stephen Hendry, John Parrott, Jimmy White, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Vera Selby

Also, Ted Lowe (broadcasting), Len Ganley (referee) and now Barry Hearn OBE (promoting).

Clive Everton also an MBE. Probably
more for his journalism and broadcasting more than his billiards and snooker career

Postby badtemperedcyril

SteveJJ wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:Surprised that Mark Selby hasn’t had an MBE by now, given the amount he’s won. He also presents himself immaculately and is the model professional.

Also, Ted Lowe (broadcasting), Len Ganley (referee) and now Barry Hearn OBE (promoting).

Clive Everton also an MBE. Probably
more for his journalism and broadcasting more than his billiards and snooker career

Well remembered - cheers. I'll add him.

Postby BennyOnTheLoose

Reanne Evans got an MBE recently. Rex Williams' BEM might not be a high enough honour for this list!

Postby badtemperedcyril

BennyOnTheLoose wrote:Reanne Evans got an MBE recently. Rex Williams' BEM might not be a high enough honour for this list!
Very true. I'm not really sure how an MBE ranks against a BEM?

Postby shanew48

Also, Ted Lowe (broadcasting), Len Ganley (referee) and now Barry Hearn OBE (promoting), Clive Everton (writer and broadcaster).

Is an MBE considered to be an higher honour than an OBE? if so then it seems odd that Williams and Higgin's have an MBE and not Ronnie? then again Ronnie has conducted himself in an unbecoming and loutish manner for... well basically his whole career! also I'm presuming Higgins call to the palace was post him being outed as a willing match fixer?

Postby shanew48

shanew48 wrote:

Is an MBE considered to be an higher honour than an OBE? if so then it seems odd that Williams and Higgin's have an MBE and not Ronnie? then again Ronnie has conducted himself in an unbecoming and loutish manner for... well basically his whole career! also I'm presuming Higgins call to the palace was post him being outed as a willing match fixer?

It would seem that an MBE is considered superior to an OBE according to the following definitions:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/30641853

I was honestly unaware that Williams and Higgins had received an MBE and quite frankly I'm struggling to see why in a way, I understand that the honours system has been devalued somewhat in recent years though so anything goes I guess!

Postby HappyCamper

obe is higher than mbe (officer > member), no?

i thought a bem was for military service? was rex williams in the forces?

Postby shanew48

HappyCamper wrote:obe is higher than mbe (officer > member), no?

I just re read the article and it seems that OBE is in fact considered superior to the MBE so correction, Ronnie does have a higher ranked title tahn Williams and Higgen's presuming I have comprehended the article correctly, admittedly there are no guarantee's that I actually have! lol

Postby badtemperedcyril

shanew48 wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:obe is higher than mbe (officer > member), no?

I just re read the article and it seems that OBE is in fact considered superior to the MBE so correction, Ronnie does have a higher ranked title tahn Williams and Higgen's presuming I have comprehended the article correctly, admittedly there are no guarantee's that I actually have! lol

Steve Davis received an MBE (Member of the British Empire), followed by and OBE (Officer of the British Empire) in 2000.

Next would be a CBE (Commander the British Empire) and KBE (Knight Commander of the British Empire).

Postby shanew48

shanew48 wrote:

With Regards to Higgins keeping hold of his, the rules state that "Not everyone wants an honour and people are allowed to turn down the award, which occasionally happens (for example, Roald Dahl turned down his award). People can also have their honour taken away from them if they are disgraced or behave in a bad way."

Surely agreeing in principal to fix frames in matches would come under "disgraced or behave in a bad way." ?

What he did would seem to basically be the definition of conducting yourself in a disgraceful or bad way?

Postby HappyCamper

in practice pretty much a criminal prosecution is required. or some foreign dictators like mugabe.

i'd be surprised if anyone actually cared enough about the higgins case to petition the forfeiture committee. i'm sure there are dozens of politicians and businessmen who still have their honours despite doing worse than the wizard.

Postby chengdufan

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I think the Queen’s Honours are a load of bullocks, and yet I passionately believe Steve Davis should get one.

One what, PB?

pmsl

Postby csprince

Juddernaut88 wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:

I considered it "disrespectful" when he led 11-4 in the world championship last 16 2011 against Hendry. He needed 4 snookers in the 16th frame, gets them and wins the frame. How many others would play on needing 4 snookers with a massive massive lead? Not many at all.
Also his actions in the Shanghai Masters final that year with that hit and hope snooker which looked like he fouled but the ref checked it again and changed his mind. It completely turned the match around.
Then questioning the ref in the 2017 world final when he thought he made contact with rolling up to the black but ref called it correctly. Then taking 6 minutes on a shot in the Northern Ireland Open quarter final in 2019 when he was in no trouble whatsoever was taking the absolute biscuit.

gotta disagree about the four snookers i dislike selby as much as i love prince and hated his reaction when he beat ding in the world semi's but two snookers with free balls is possible and depending on where the balls are on the table. sometimes it comes down to how you feel let's go for it kind of thing nothing to lose. just because your 11-5 up doesn't come in to it if you think you can win the frame then go for it.

Postby Dragonfly

Selby is a bit of a bellend. I really don't know why he's known as the jester. He's mostly bad tempered and a bit of a moaner.It's always eyes to heaven and muttering if he feels he's had a bad run of the balls, or his opponent a good run.

I don't begrudge him playing on for snookers. But the 6 minute shot is a disgrace. And his moaning is annoying.

Postby SnookerFan

Dragonfly wrote:Selby is a bit of a bellend. I really don't know why he's known as the jester. He's mostly bad tempered and a bit of a moaner.It's always eyes to heaven and muttering if he feels he's had a bad run of the balls, or his opponent a good run.

I don't begrudge him playing on for snookers. But the 6 minute shot is a disgrace. And his moaning is annoying.

Because Moaner doesn't rhyme with Leicester.