Post a reply

BRAZIL GOES NUTS FOR SNOOKER

Postby Wildey

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... ooker.html

Brazil will stage a new tournament next season as professional snooker heads to South America for the first time.

The Brazilian Masters will be held in the city of Sao Paulo from September 14-17. It will be an invitation tournament in the first year, featuring 12 top players and four wildcards, with the plan to upgrade it to a ranking event in the fullness of time.

Brazil has a history of snooker but the game is largely played with ten reds on smaller tables.

For the first time this season a Brazilian player, Igor Figueiredo, is competing as a professional and qualified for the World Open, where his British TV debut ended at the hands of Mark Williams.

The move into any new territory is a cause for celebration but Brazil, with its sun-drenched beaches and long history of excellence at football, is one of the more glamorous locations for a tournament.

I can’t imagine many players thinking twice before accepting the invitation.

However, those with long memories will recall that events were also announced in Brazil in 1995 and 2004 and that neither took place.

But I have rather more confidence in Barry Hearn’s promotional skills than those of regimes gone by and this new event, and tournaments likely to be announced in other far off places in the near future, is proof of genuine progress being made under his stewardship of the game’s commercial body.

It is right to start off with an invitation event and test the water to see if the interest in Brazil can sustain a bigger tournament in years to come.

This strategy is one Hearn pursued in the 1980s as an independent promoter. It was he who first went to Thailand, China and Dubai, long before the governing body.

Two of the local wildcards will be determined by a qualifying event in Brazil, which itself will generate even more interest in snooker in the country as amateur players fight to take on the sport's biggest names.

The Brazilian Masters will be played under a knock-out format on one match table.

The early rounds will be best of seven frames while the semis and final will be best of nine.

Television coverage will be announced in due course.

Great News for the Sport at long Last they are going to try and tap in to a new Market on a invitational scale which was always the way it was done with Barry Hearn in the 80s.

Re: BRAZIL GOES NUTS FOR SNOOKER

Postby Casey

:D :D

Obviously it sounds like the focus will be one making this into a ranking event the year after next. There is a gap from October to December for a full ranking event so hopefully this comes true.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote::D :D

Obviously it sounds like the focus will be one making this into a ranking event the year after next. There is a gap from October to December for a full ranking event so hopefully this comes true.

it might be a 2 3 even 4 years plan of making it a Ranking you cant rush these things it took 5 years in the 80s from first going to thailand for there to be enough intrrest to sustain a Ranking Event....

This is a long haul Strategy id like fans to be patience and not to call for Rankers to soon.

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/PTC8_news(S ... _In_Brazil)-2741.htm?tid=190

Samba Snooker! New Tournament In Brazil
World Snooker will be taking the sport to a brand new territory next year with the Brazilian Masters.

The tournament, announced at a press conference in London today, will run from September 14 to 17, 2011, at the Transamerica Expo Centre in São Paulo, Brazil.

It will be an invitation event featuring 12 of the top players in the world rankings plus four wild cards, with prize money of at least $200,000.

World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn said: “This is a fantastic announcement for snooker as it will be the first ever professional tournament staged in Brazil. It will be an invitation event in year one but depending on its success we do have plans to make it a full world ranking tournament.

“Brazil is a country with a great love of sport and an incredible sporting heritage. Snooker is very popular there and we want to tap into that support. Breaking into South America is a huge step towards our ambition of making snooker a truly global sport. These are exciting times for us, with this the latest in a series of new tournaments.

“We look forward to working with the promoter in Brazil and building foundations there.”

Pablo Magalhães, Marketing Director of Publikimagem Projects and Marketing, the promoter of the event, said: "We believe that hosting an official event of World Snooker in Brazil will be the beginning of a new era of professional snooker in our country. We are very optimistic about the success of this first international tournament of professional snooker in South America. "

Marcílio Cavalcanti, Chairman of Snooker Brazil Association, added: "The realisation of the Brazil Masters in 2011 is being awaited with great anxiety for more than 20,000 players from Brazil, mainly because we will conduct national qualifying to categorise the two best players for the Brazil Masters. This event will change the concept of professional snooker in our country and in a few years we believe that we will have more Brazilian players in snooker’s world rankings."

Brazil’s top player Igor Figueiredo, who reached the final of the World Amateur Championship last year and is now playing his first season on the professional tour, said: "It's very exciting news that there will be a tournament in Brazil. Snooker is already popular in my homeland but there is potential for it to be much bigger. This event will bring snooker to the Brazilian fans and I know they will respond by welcoming the top players and creating a great atmosphere. Hopefully I can be successful on the main tour and provide an example for more Brazilian players to follow me."

The event will be straight knock-out, on one match table. The first two rounds will be best of seven frames, with the semis and final best of nine.

Postby Casey

So reading that is it the top 12 in the end of year rankings that get the invite? Hopefully Ronnie goes because Hearn wants to build this into a ranker in year two.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:So reading that is it the top 12 in the end of year rankings that get the invite? Hopefully Ronnie goes because Hearn wants to build this into a ranker in year two.

looks like that .

im not in the camp we need ronnie he is now 35 he is nearer the end than the start its the future we looking to build up here it has to be younger players that we have to start promoting as the new peoples champions.

Postby Smart

case_master wrote:So reading that is it the top 12 in the end of year rankings that get the invite? Hopefully Ronnie goes because Hearn wants to build this into a ranker in year two.

I wonder if WSA will be offering package holidays for fans who'd like to make the trip too ..................... :selby: :idea: :selby: :idea:

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:

I wonder if WSA will be offering package holidays for fans who'd like to make the trip too ..................... :selby: :idea: :selby: :idea:

Yep tickets to the final with an all inclusive half star hotel in the local shanty town :excited: :ba:

Postby Wildey

Judging By Recent WSA Administrative Ability while the players going to Brazil they would organize a Package Holiday to a Brazil Nut Making Factory <laugh>

Postby Smart

case_master wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:

Yep tickets to the final with an all inclusive half star hotel in the local shanty town :excited: :ba:

STDs picked up on this package hol as std. <laugh>

Postby gallantrabbit

This is just fantastic news and I am so impressed by Hearn once again.

I shall be entering the qualifiers, great reason to really start playing again. Will take me 15 minutes to get to the venue. Can't believe it it's fantastic, and who knows could really spark off some interest.
On another note, bit sad to see some of the ignorant shanty town blah blah comments on here.
If any of you boys are single you get yourselves over here. You might end up staying. The ladies will knock your f@cking eyes out... :idea: :bowdown: :love: :clap:

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:This is just fantastic news and I am so impressed by Hearn once again.

I shall be entering the qualifiers, great reason to really start playing again. Will take me 15 minutes to get to the venue. Can't believe it it's fantastic, and who knows could really spark off some interest.
On another note, bit sad to see some of the ignorant shanty town blah blah comments on here.
If any of you boys are single you get yourselves over here. You might end up staying. The ladies will knock your f@cking eyes out... :idea: :bowdown: :love: :clap:

ive been keen to go to Brazil for years, infact ever since i clapped eyes on The Spy Who Loved Me and saw Roger Moore mingling with the beauties at the Rio carnival. It looks awesome.

Ronnie Biggs, another hero of mine :john: his story of his time in Brazil is legendary and it sounds like my kinda place <ok>

On another note, surely Stalins pal, the Welsh superfan wont manage to make this trip? Front Row Brian odds on to find a way onto the front row no doubt rofl

Postby Wildey

gallantrabbit wrote:This is just fantastic news and I am so impressed by Hearn once again.

so you live in brazil ?

whats your chance of being one of the 2 wild cards ????

Postby gallantrabbit

Rio is awesome, but SP is great too, especially with the first ever snooker event coming up!!
Every young single male will be out here in the near future, either for the snooker ;) the WC or the Olympics in 2016. Don't miss it!

Postby gallantrabbit

I do Wild.
My chances? No idea. There are some decent cuemen out here but snooker is mainly played on 10 footers, so we'll have to see the format. If they played it on 12 footers I might have a chance :john: , but I can't see that happening. Good reson to start playing more seriously though.

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:I do Wild.
My chances? No idea. There are some decent cuemen out here but snooker is mainly played on 10 footers, so we'll have to see the format. If they played it on 12 footers I might have a chance :john: , but I can't see that happening. Good reson to start playing more seriously though.

will the qualifiers in the clubs prob be on 10 foot tables then?

Im guessing Itaro Santos will be the other wildcard along with Figuerido plus 2 qualifiers from the clubs in Brazil?

Oh of course, the WC in 2014, hmm i might just head there to cheer on England :excited: yikes ill be 35 then though :scared: nevermind Roger Moore was 50 when he was there and Ronnie Biggs was around 45 before he even moved to Rio to live it up for 30 years rofl

Postby gallantrabbit

I would imagine the qualifiers will be played on 10 footers.
Ronnie Biggs may have lived it up for a few years here but was stony broke by the end. He used to organize barbecues at his gaff in Rio for sad expats to go and meet him there <laugh> no I didn`t go, but would have had he lived in SP :excited:
Brazil hasn`t held an event before but Davis and Meo played an exhibition in the club I play at years ago. There are pictures up of the exhibition with Steve`s name on. Tony doesn`t get a mention :sad:
Davis also played an exhibtion here against Rui Chapeu years back . Rui Chapeu is the `legendary`name of snooker over here, but he mainly played the Brazilian snooker with one red. Was invited to England for the Mita masters years back when Hearn got players from all over the world to aattend. He`d never plaayed on a full sized table before rofl
I`m going to start a Ì love Barry Hearn` thread :bowdown:

Postby Wildey

A Lot of people have asked why Igor Figueiredo wasent at the Press Conference in London to Promote This New Tournament well seing as he is in Germany Today in EPTC3 i guess that was the answer to the question

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:

On another note, surely Stalins pal, the Welsh superfan wont manage to make this trip? Front Row Brian odds on to find a way onto the front row no doubt rofl

I bet the Welsh superfan come supertwat is already doing his ass-licking best to get some free tickets, but the thing is he will need air-fare as well........imagine being sat next or near to that lady part for 10+ hours. Brian will be looking at Brazilian package holidays as we speak. <laugh>

Postby gallantrabbit

Am in practice now for the qualies...
Played today, a load of rofl

Cue felt like a broomstick and arm like a chicken wing..on the ten footers.
Made one quick 56 clean up but then back to the dross..Neil Robertson must be wetting hiself..

Postby SnookerFan

I don't usually like going on holidays. But I do like a good snooker trip. I don't know if I'd go all the way to Brazil to watch some, but I might think of going for a snooker tournament... Might not though, I might have problem with the lingo.

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:I don't usually like going on holidays. But I do like a good snooker trip. I don't know if I'd go all the way to Brazil to watch some, but I might think of going for a snooker tournament... Might not though, I might have problem with the lingo.

S/fan - a quick question.........................do you speak English :wave: <ok> :wave: <ok>