Post a reply

ATWSC Final: Ronnie O'Sullivan v Steve Davis

Postby Pink Ball

Ronnie O’Sullivan v Steve Davis (Best of 71 frames)
Final
Date: December 17, 18, 19 and 20
Venue: The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield, United Kingdom

Vote for which of the two players you think was greater. Vote honestly, and leave your bias out of it. Don’t vote for a player just because you like them, don’t vote against a player just because you dislike them.

Consider the table conditions to be whatever conditions would have the least impact on the result.

You can use your own personal criteria for measuring greatness once it’s free of any bias towards/against (delete as applicable) players you like/dislike (delete as applicable).

Comment for whoever you wish to vote for.

Re: ATWSC Final: Ronnie O'Sullivan v Steve Davis

Postby Prop

Good matchup. In terms of dominance, Davis in the 80s is as dominant as the game ever was. Ron never quite ‘dominated’ the sport to the same extent, although there’s a big BUT, and reason for my vote:

O’Sullivan has remained at, or very close to the pinnacle of the game for knocking on 3 decades of seasons (barring the season out etc). Steve’s career, in terms of actually being the best, was comparatively a smash and grab. Which might sound ludicrous, but Ronnie’s simply been great for so much longer. Yes, Davis was the original dominator - the godfather, as I described him in an earlier round - but stacked up against Ronald his greatness was short-lived. Ronnie has been the man to beat, season after season, since he turned pro in 92. Arguably before he even turned pro. He didn’t dominate one era. He mastered several.

That’s before we get to the stats and records. I don’t need to list them, most of you know by now all the records he’s smashed and continues to smash to this day.

And finally, peak form. No other player in the history of the sport had or has a peak game like O’Sullivan’s. He’s done things on the table that only the true greatest ever could.

So, with all that said, my vote goes to The Rocket, Ronnie O’Sullivan <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

BO71 though.

Davis’ stamina & consistency would win through over this length of contest so it’s the Nugget for me (even though the vote won’t reflect that & Davis won’t even reach double figures on this forum)

Postby Andre147

SnookerEd25 wrote:BO71 though.

Davis’ stamina & consistency would win through over this length of contest so it’s the Nugget for me (even though the vote won’t reflect that & Davis won’t even reach double figures on this forum)

But the contest is not who would win the Best if 71, but instead who is the greater player.

I do agree over such a long distance Davis would give a good account of himself, not embarassed, but O'Sullivan would still win.

Postby chengdufan

Prop wrote:Good matchup. In terms of dominance, Davis in the 80s is as dominant as the game ever was. Ron never quite ‘dominated’ the sport to the same extent, although there’s a big BUT, and reason for my vote:

O’Sullivan has remained at, or very close to the pinnacle of the game for knocking on 3 decades of seasons (barring the season out etc). Steve’s career, in terms of actually being the best, was comparatively a smash and grab. Which might sound ludicrous, but Ronnie’s simply been great for so much longer. Yes, Davis was the original dominator - the godfather, as I described him in an earlier round - but stacked up against Ronald his greatness was short-lived. Ronnie has been the man to beat, season after season, since he turned pro in 92. Arguably before he even turned pro. He didn’t dominate one era. He mastered several.

That’s before we get to the stats and records. I don’t need to list them, most of you know by now all the records he’s smashed and continues to smash to this day.

And finally, peak form. No other player in the history of the sport had or has a peak game like O’Sullivan’s. He’s done things on the table that only the true greatest ever could.

So you'll be voting for Higgins v Hendry for the same reasons, presumably?

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:
Prop wrote:Good matchup. In terms of dominance, Davis in the 80s is as dominant as the game ever was. Ron never quite ‘dominated’ the sport to the same extent, although there’s a big BUT, and reason for my vote:

So you'll be voting for Higgins v Hendry for the same reasons, presumably?

Different players; different measures of greatness.

Postby SnookerEd25

Andre147 wrote:

But the contest is not who would win the Best if 71, but instead who is the greater player.

I do agree over such a long distance Davis would give a good account of himself, not embarassed, but O'Sullivan would still win.

Why have it BO71 then? Why not a one-frame shootout?

:chin:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Shouldn't be a ranking event.

Postby LDS

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

I sincerely hope this invitational competition isn't a ranking event!

Postby HappyCamper

LDS wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

i hope it is as the points would surely see hendry seeded and back at the crucible, where he belongs!

Postby SnookerFan

LDS wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Postby HustleKing

Pink is obviously a closet Ronnie fan, constantly coming up with these pointless threads to fawn over Ronnie, yet still trying to avoid being connected with Ronnie's more unpleasant fans/retain impartiality on this forum

It's ok Pink, just admit it, it's not something to be ashamed of!

Postby Pink Ball

HustleKing wrote:Pink is obviously a closet Ronnie fan, constantly coming up with these pointless threads to fawn over Ronnie, yet still trying to avoid being connected with Ronnie's more unpleasant fans/retain impartiality on this forum

It's ok Pink, just admit it, it's not something to be ashamed of!

Hi Fuckface,

Please direct me to some examples of my ‘constant’ threads fawning over O’Sullivan. I don’t think a competition consisting of 32 players, 31 of which were not Ronnie O’Sullivan, and 64 matches, 57 of which did not involve Ronnie O’Sullivan will suffice as an example. Yes, I personally felt O’Sullivan was the most deserving winner, but the forum was free to vote for someone else in all the matches he was involved in. He might still lose.

I don’t mind Ronnie O’Sullivan anymore, I don’t hate him, as I used to. If I were a fan, I’d tell you. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being an O’Sullivan fan. He attracts some fuck-heads, but a lot of normal people love him too. I love the way he plays, but he’s not my favourite, or even close.

As for these threads being pointless, I think it was set up initially as a bit of fun. That’s a point. A lot of people voted throughout. A lot of people didn’t vote at all. That’s grand. It wasn’t going to be to everyone’s taste.

Goodbye Fuckface.