Post a reply

Why are the Coral events actually ranking ?

Postby FoulNMiss

Hello everyone. Maybe I misunderstood something and maybe you can help me to figure it out. But I don't manage to understand why are the Masters and CoC non-ranking tournaments whereas the WGP, PC and TC are both ranking in the same time, as both of them are invitational, or look invitational ? The WGP is based on a 1 year top 32 ranking list, top 16 for the PC and top 8 for the TC, without any qualifying stage for those 3. So no offense, those are both great tournaments. But concretely, what is the thing which makes the Masters non-ranking and the PC ranking in the other hand ? The only difference I see between those is the fact that the Masters is based on a 2 years top 16 ranking list whereas it is only 1 year for the PC. Also the fact that the defending champion is not automatically qualified for the Coral events. Is there something else I forgot to take in consideration ? Maybe the Coral events are not considered as invitational anyway for some reason ? Thank you for bringing me your light.
Last edited by FoulNMiss on 08 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Why are the Coral events actually ranking ?

Postby HappyCamper

since the coral series are based on the season to date winnings all of the players on tour have equal opportunity to qualify for them from the start of the season.

being based on the two year list for masters, and shanghai masters disadvantages those on the first year of their card. similarly for champion of champions since qualifying tournaments span two seasons so again neo pros would be disadvantaged.

Postby HappyCamper

CaldoTheKid wrote:Have to appeal to your gambling sponsors

well, given the government's just announced review of gambling regulations, that may not be a problem much longer.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:
CaldoTheKid wrote:Have to appeal to your gambling sponsors

well, given the government's just announced review of gambling regulations, that may not be a problem much longer.

Does that mean they're going to stop gambling with our future? :chin:

Postby lhpirnie

HappyCamper wrote:since the coral series are based on the season to date winnings all of the players on tour have equal opportunity to qualify for them from the start of the season.

being based on the two year list for masters, and shanghai masters disadvantages those on the first year of their card. similarly for champion of champions since qualifying tournaments span two seasons so again neo pros would be disadvantaged.

Yes it's actually quite a clever way of fudging over the totally inadequate ranking system that we have in snooker, a throwback to the 1970's when they needed to think of a way to seed players for the World Championship. Of course, a decent system would count the Masters, CoC, etc... in fact every tournament except possibly the Shoot-out.