Post a reply

"He hits the ball quite hard so ..."

Postby Holden Chinaski

Remember when I said that players who hit the balls hard (Trump) probably get more flukes?

Here's what the King of flukes, Judd Trump, had to say about this after his match with Kyren:

Judd Trump wrote:Certain players seem to get a few more flukes than others. It's always kind of the same against him (Wilson). He hits the ball quite hard so there's probably more opportunities for the ball to go in other pockets.

Oh, the irony. Certain posters on here said my theory on hitting the balls hard and getting more flukes was bull, and now Judd himself agrees with me. rofl

Someone posted this quote from Judd on Twitter, and here are some of the comments on that tweet from various people:

"I watch a whole lot of snooker and Judd is by far the flukiest player on tour. Hypocrite"

"Pot calls kettle black"

"Judd gets more flukes than anybody." (from the great SnookerFan :bowdown: )

:chin:

Re: "He hits the ball quite hard so ..."

Postby TheRocket

This has pretty much become some sort of bad habit from Trump. He talks about the oppoents run of the balls after almost every match but obviously never mentions his own luck.

Wilson obviously had a massive fluke in frame 4 but if you look at the first three frames a lot of nudges were going Trumps way where he could have easily lost position. Even after the Walden match the first thing Trump said was that Walden had a couple of flukes after the MSI which helped him to come back into the match.

And its pretty funny when he says the harder you hit the balls the more flukes you get. Because thats what he often does.

Postby Iranu

My point was always that Judd’s no flukier than any other player would be if all players hit the ball at the same speed.

If there’s any player who’s unusually fluky it’s probably Bingham. But I don’t fully buy it.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:My point was always that Judd’s no flukier than any other player would be if all players hit the ball at the same speed.

If there’s any player who’s unusually fluky it’s probably Bingham. But I don’t fully buy it.

I think Judd's style lends itself to flukes, because he hits the balls so hard. If he misses a shot, it's more likely to fire into another pocket.

Postby HappyCamper

hitting the balls harder mean there is more energy and so more chance of flukes seems reasonable. i don't think there is any reason to assume this would favour positive fluked outcomes over negative ones though.

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:hitting the balls harder mean there is more energy and so more chance of flukes seems reasonable. i don't think there is any reason to assume this would favour positive fluked outcomes over negative ones though.

I don’t think it does. I’m sure Judd gets more in-offs from opening the pack for example than most players because he hits it harder (though not as hard as he used to).

The thing is negative flukes generally require more things to go wrong than positive flukes need to go right. The ball you miss needs to not only hit another ball but hit it at the perfect angle to pot that secondary ball in a pocket. Or the cue ball, which usually has less pace than the object ball apart from shots to nothing, needs to find its way to a pocket.

I will say it seems that the white goes in-off more often than it used to. Possibly because the pockets are bigger? It seems to rarely wobble in the jaws and stay there, probably because of the slow pace.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:My point was always that Judd’s no flukier than any other player would be if all players hit the ball at the same speed.

I think Judd's style lends itself to flukes, because he hits the balls so hard. If he misses a shot, it's more likely to fire into another pocket.

Exactly.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dragonfly wrote:Trump is a marvellous player. He's still a bellend though

Trump is a great player. Good lad too.