Post a reply

Re: Ronnie O’Sullivan: SPOTY Nominee

Postby Cloud Strife

Alex0paul wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:Broad took 38 wickets at 14 including his 500th which is pretty damn good

Against minnows West Indies and Pakistan.

Most Test sides are minnows outside of England, Australia and India tbf. He also did it after getting dropped for the defeat to West Indies in the first Test of the Summer

Fair enough. It's been a strange year, as has been mentioned. Broad, as well as he's performed, wouldn't get anywhere near it in a normal year.

Postby Alex0paul

No course he wouldn't. Surprised they didn't pick the cpatain of England's Rugby Union team for winning the 6 Nations or even Peter Wright for winning the PDC World Championship

Postby Cloud Strife

Alex0paul wrote:No course he wouldn't. Surprised they didn't pick the cpatain of England's Rugby Union team for winning the 6 Nations or even Peter Wright for winning the PDC World Championship

Peter Wright is a really good call actually.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:Hamilton is an outstanding candidate. I get that he drives by far the best car on the grid, but for the year that's in it and the records he has taken and equalled, probably the two most important records in F1, he'd win even in a vintage year.

O'Sullivan deserved to be nominated at some point. He's different class, and the nature of the win over Selby was jaw-dropping. But I think 2013 should have been the year he got a nod. That was insane.

I expect Hamilton to breeze it.

Honestly the sportsperson who deserves it more than any other this year is Marcus Rashford by a long way.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Hamilton is an outstanding candidate. I get that he drives by far the best car on the grid, but for the year that's in it and the records he has taken and equalled, probably the two most important records in F1, he'd win even in a vintage year.

O'Sullivan deserved to be nominated at some point. He's different class, and the nature of the win over Selby was jaw-dropping. But I think 2013 should have been the year he got a nod. That was insane.

Honestly the sportsperson who deserves it more than any other this year is Marcus Rashford by a long way.

Nah.

Rashford is class, but it's not the Nobel Prize.

Postby Alex0paul

Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:John Higgins should have won it in 2011.

Nah, Mo Farah beat The Cube that year.

Mo might win Im a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here this year so could still recieve a late nomination

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:

John Higgins' redemption from all that he had to endure and overcome in 2010 was the most compelling sporting storyline of the year IMO. Nothing else came close.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Nah.

Rashford is class, but it's not the Nobel Prize.

I think he’s proven to have the Personality that most should want to emulate.

But this award hasn’t been about personality in a long time.

Postby Pink Ball

Alex0paul wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Mo might win Im a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here this year so could still recieve a late nomination

Don't give them an idea. When they type 'Come on Mo' they leave out the comma by design.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

John Higgins' redemption from all that he had to endure and overcome in 2010 was the most compelling sporting storyline of the year IMO. Nothing else came close.

buck me, that was sports broadcasting at its worst that year.

Let's ignore the ban he got in favour of the ban he didn't (couldn't) get.

Postby Acé

about time but he wouldn't have won it in 2013 with Murray winning Wimbledon that was an insane moment for the UK with a british winner in something like 70 years but that was the year he should've been nominated for at least

Postby McManusFan

SnookerFan wrote:Seems a token gesture after a lean period for sport. Hamilton will probably win it.

I never took to the SPOTY that seriously.

Hamilton deserves it. It was very brave of him to stand up to Barry Hearn earlier in the year.

Postby SnookerFan

McManusFan wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Seems a token gesture after a lean period for sport. Hamilton will probably win it.

I never took to the SPOTY that seriously.

Hamilton deserves it. It was very brave of him to stand up to Barry Hearn earlier in the year.

rofl

Postby chengdufan

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:how can hamilton win spoty it's a musical!!!

School Of Rock and Book Of Mormon are both quality musicals. As is Wicked.

The best musical I've seen has to be Trey Parker and Matt Stone's movie: "Cannibal! The Musical" Based on a true story.
Last edited by chengdufan on 02 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

Not seen that one.

The Toxic Avenger musical was brilliant though.

Even included one person singing a duet, in one of the best things I've ever seen on stage.

Postby SnookerEd25

Guys...

‘Billy the Kid & the Green Baize Vampire’

Surely?

Technically a rock opera, but still counts...

Postby SnookerEd25

Guys...

‘Billy the Kid & the Green Baize Vampire’

Surely?

Technically a rock opera, but still counts...

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:O’Sullivan is 2nd favourite with the bookies

He won't win, but if ended up 2nd that would be incredible. The year Hendry was nominated he also finished 2nd.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I'm sure I know a lot of people who don't have a clue who Lewis Hamilton is. But almost everyone I know has heard about Ronnie O'Sullivan. And I'm in Belgium, where most people know buck all about snooker.