Post a reply

"ONEFORSEVEN" launched

Postby Roland

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2009_1 ... chive.html

"The folks at global-snooker.com have trialled a new short form version of the game called ONEFORSEVEN.

It lasts 147 minutes and features players playing frames against one another within this time, with the overall winner the player who has scored the most points.

Unusually, the audience will be encouraged to make noise rather than sit in stony silence, as is traditional at all other events.

A tournament, worth £25,000, will be staged in Cardiff on December 21 and feature Ryan Day, Mark Williams, Matthew Stevens and Ricky Walden.

There will also be satellite events with the winners progressing to the final to take on the star names.

For more details, check the global snooker website here.

This is an attempt to find a snooker version of Twenty20, which has proved popular in cricket.

One of the biggest problems snooker has with the media is that it is impossible to know what time a match will finish, so broadcasters have problems with their schedules and newspaper editors with their deadlines.

The shortest ever best of nine contest was 34 minutes duration while the longest lasted seven hours.

“Somewhere between the two” is a rather vague, if accurate, answer to the perennial question of how long a match will last.

I haven’t seen ONEFORSEVEN yet but I wish them all the best.

Anything a bit different that encourages interest in snooker should be welcomed. "

Re: "ONEFORSEVEN" launched

Postby Roland

This is about the worst idea I've heard so far!

Why don't people get it? It's not the game, it's the marketing! Leave snooker alone and work on staging more events in Europe and China.

Maybe an aggregate score system could work say first to 1000 points, but this oneforseven idea is ridiculous.

The more I think about it the more I hate it.

"I think it would be a really good idea to reintroduce Pot Black timeframe but with real events and make snooker more like billiards" - :army: :gun:

Postby Seifer Almasy

It is far more than marketing...Darts is the very idea of what snooker needs to do in some of its events.

Postby MED

Seifer island hatah wrote:It is far more than marketing...Darts is the very idea of what snooker needs to do in some of its events.

what is so special about darts ?

how many people there actually care what is happening. ok they shout out but shouting out when drunk happens in any pub or club up and down Britain. that would never work in snooker and standard of play will be drastically reduced.

it takes so much concentration in snooker if you got someone shouting at wrong minute you wont pot a ball.

Postby Wildey

who ever reads TSF Knows my view on this and other such ideas that are ment to be a initiative to make snooker atractive...long term these knee jerk reactions to snookers problams will result in doing more harm than good.

snooker needs leadership.. at the moment snookers leaders are following trends and not resolving the problams at the core of the sports..

these are seen as snookers saviour infact all its doing is papering over cracks and make the WSA think they taking the sport in the right direction..they arent at all.

would sponsors put money in to a sport that thinks it has to change ? i dont think so ..theres a lot of defeatist atetute in the running of snooker at the moment and a sport that thinks it has to change is a sport thats given up.

Postby NedB-H

wildJONESEYE wrote:who ever reads TSF Knows my view on this and other such ideas that are ment to be a initiative to make snooker atractive...long term these knee jerk reactions to snookers problams will result in doing more harm than good.

snooker needs leadership.. at the moment snookers leaders are following trends and not resolving the problams at the core of the sports..

these are seen as snookers saviour infact all its doing is papering over cracks and make the WSA think they taking the sport in the right direction..they arent at all.

would sponsors put money in to a sport that thinks it has to change ? i dont think so ..theres a lot of defeatist atetute in the running of snooker at the moment and a sport that thinks it has to change is a sport thats given up.

well said :clap:

I am yet to see any explanation of how gimmicks like this are gonna attract any new fans at all; still less actually come across any fan converted by one of them. If someone knew nothing about snooker they probably wouldn't even spot the difference between a 10-red frame and a 15-red frame... altho the 147 thing described in this thread might confuse them even more than a normal snooker match. It certainly would me.

Postby Roland

I'm surprised Mark Williams has endorsed it but I'm guessing they probably slipped him a nice appearance fee to take part and say nice things.

Postby MED

i am a traditionalist and im not going to apologize to anyone when i say WHAT EXACTLY IS WRONG WITH THE GAME ?

15 reds,6 colour balls,6 pockets and a white ball on a 12x6 table ? it has tested the passage of time and got itself through a worst period than this in the 50s and 60s.70s wasn't brilliant in terms of tournaments, even beginning of the 80s was poor in comparison to now.

so my question is why look for ideas to change a winning formula thats 80 years old ?

fans of the idea will say it isn't to change the sport well my question is why wait for 80 years without thinking of these things then.

is it to compete with X Factor ?

Postby roy142857

I thought this was dead, but apparently there's an invitational tournament for this in Frankston, Australia in the run-up to the Lance Parenell Classic Aussie ranking event and the Australian Goldfields Open. It (The Alcocks Victoria Masters Invitational) features (so it says on the publicity) 'Australia's Best Players'.

Postby SnookerFan

roy142857 wrote:I thought this was dead, but apparently there's an invitational tournament for this in Frankston, Australia in the run-up to the Lance Parenell Classic Aussie ranking event and the Australian Goldfields Open. It (The Alcocks Victoria Masters Invitational) features (so it says on the publicity) 'Australia's Best Players'.

What? They mean Neil Robertson? <laugh>

Postby gallantrabbit

NedB-H wrote:
Sonny wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A58435860

<laugh>

:D

Didn't remember writing in that article!!
But have to agree - this new 'idea' is just bollix...