Poll ended at 26 Nov 2020

Ding Junhui
16%
Mark Selby
84%

Total votes : 19

ATWSC Group B: Ding Junhui v Mark Selby

Postby Pink Ball

Ding Junhui v Mark Selby (Best of 20 frames)
Group: B
Date: November 25
Match: Four of six
Match day: Two of three
Venue: Goffs, Kill, Republic of Ireland

Vote for which of the two players you think was greater. Vote honestly, and leave your bias out of it. Don’t vote for a player just because you like them, don’t vote against a player just because you dislike them.

Consider the table conditions to be whatever conditions would have the least impact on the result.

You can use your own personal criteria for measuring greatness once it’s free of any bias towards/against (delete as applicable) players you like/dislike (delete as applicable).

Re: ATWSC Group B: Ding Junhui v Mark Selby

Postby chengdufan

I voted for Ding.
I believe Selby winning so many finals, particularly in the mid - 10s has put a huge amount of potential fans off snooker, at huge cost to the game.
Ding's success meanwhile has had the opposite effect, positively ensuring the game has a bright future, with a ton of brilliant to watch young talent coming through because of him. Not to mention the swathes of Chinese sponsorship money making sure the game's finances are healthy and allowing a bunch of British and European talent the opportunity to make a living from the game, while otherwise they may have given up after a few years.

So while Selby is a better player and has more achievements, Ding is greater, and it isn't even close.

Postby Iranu

I maintain that Selby’s one of the more popular players among casual fans. I’ve noticed it when talking with casual watchers. Ding’s obviously way more popular though.

Postby McManusFan

In terms of peak Ding vs peak Selby - we basically had that in the 2016 world final and selby came out on top. Selby also has a much better record genearlly, although Ding's influence on the sport is probably the one of the biggest of all time. It's got to be Selby hasn't it?

Postby The_Abbott

I like Ding. He is a decent player and of the two is the more attractive style of snooker....but...Selby has got that grinder way that gets him through tough matches where I think Ding just gives up on. And Selby hasn't choked a World final yet.

Postby Acé

THIS TOURNAMENT FINALLY IS SOMETHING RIGHT UP MY ALLEY WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME THIS WAS RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG

I'M GONNA HAVE SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN NOW YOU KNOW I LOVE THESE TYPE OF DEBATES, THANK GOD

UNFORTUNATELY Selby is the greater player by a large distance 3 world titles is a huge deficit to overcome and his TC event haul is impressive + given who he's beaten in some of those finals plus dominated the game for quiet a while. everyone knows I detest Selby but he's legit one of the greatest players, top 10

Ding needs 2 world titles to surpass but every year goes by the job gets harder and harder he should've been on 2 world titles by now but he doesn't have the grit or the mental strength to put in a godlike run to a WC yeah he beats a top player but he can't beat top players in succession which is what he needs to do - it's the WC, he lacks that intimidating factor despite possessing a deadly game.

Postby Acé

btw mods don't ban me based on my opinions of this tournament I know for a FACT it'll get a bit heated soon as you all know me and well I also know myself but they're just OPINIONS and this stuff is my #1 snooker heaven along with peak debates.

I mean this is BOUND to have big debates soon anyway

we should have a peak display of snooker tournament one day too. I will marry Pinkball if he does one omg just thinking about a tournament like that :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Postby Acé

Iranu wrote:
Acé wrote:wanna get to the meaty battles :mosh2:

That’s already gotten you banned once!

Finally have a good reason to be more active on this forum again + UK champs :happy:

THIS IS HEAVEN!!!!!!!!!!!

imma keep my eye everyday on this section now for new threads lol