Post a reply

Rule..

Postby randam05

Now I may be stupid here, but have never seen this situation on TV or been in it.

When playing a practice frame against teammate he went 14 up with just the black on the table, potted it and white went in, so I gain 7 points only now being 7 behind with 7 on once black comes back out so I can force the draw. Does the black come back out or not?

He said only one scoring opportunity on the black allowed so it didnt matter in potting the white, so frame over..to me this sounds like a silly league rule, but is it a proffessional rule?

Re: Rule..

Postby Roland

A foul on the black ends the game. The only scenario where you can foul and the game is still alive is if the scores are level after the foul.

It puzzled me when I was younger. "A foul on the black ends the game" to me meant if you make a foul then you lose whatever. Also you can play for a snooker by angling your opponent. I think it would be interesting if they dropped this rule so if you did play a foul then the game was still alive. It would mean some ridiculous scenarios but why have that rule in the first place?

Postby randam05

Hmm so say he was on 57 and I was on 43. There is only the blac left on the table. He pots the black followed by the white. So now I am on 50. Does the black come back to the table? so then I could pot it, level the points and have a respotted black?

If not then I think its a silly rule cause they win the frame by making a silly mistake, I should have another chance.

Postby Roland

Sigh...

ok, the rule is "A foul on the black ends the game" and that means that if you are 8 points ahead after the pink is potted then you cannot lose. The game ends. If you foul the black the points count but the game is over.

Postby Wildey

yes mate sorry you lose that Frame.

if he was 7 up potted the Black and White went in the score would be level so the Black is re spotted with you having first crack at that Black Ball.

Postby Roland

Thank You Wildjoneseye

Postby Witz78

theres one famous instance of this which im sure Wild wont want to remember..... 2006 world championship first round

Bond v Hendry deciding frame, Bond was 7 up and potted the black but went in off (idiot, it was clearly a natural in-0ff) so it went to a re-spotted black and Hendry bottled a half decent chance then Bond cut a tricky black into the middle and justice was done and he joined White, Ebdon and Williams as all beaten WC finalists by Hendry eventually gaining revenge and beating him at Sheffield.

Postby Roland

:)

Postby randam05

Oh so there would have been a respotted black?..I thought so. Cheers wild.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Oh so there would have been a respotted black?..I thought so. Cheers wild.

not in your situation lol

only if the scores are level after a foul on the final black.

if you 2 up pots the black the white goes in a pocket that means you lose by 5 points.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:theres one famous instance of this which im sure Wild wont want to remember..... 2006 world championship first round

Bond v Hendry deciding frame, Bond was 7 up and potted the black but went in off (idiot, it was clearly a natural in-0ff) so it went to a re-spotted black and Hendry bottled a half decent chance then Bond cut a tricky black into the middle and justice was done and he joined White, Ebdon and Williams as all beaten WC finalists by Hendry eventually gaining revenge and beating him at Sheffield.

god its almost time for bed and you remind me of all these nightmares :redneck:

Postby Ander

This happened to me last Thursday and we didn't know if we reacted properly.

I'm winning 57-50, I pot the black and the white. 57-57. I say "OK, I lost". My partner says no and we respot the black. Right, BUT is it a "proper" respotted black with the referee tossing a coin or is it my partner who gets the turn. Anyway, after I pot the white he could make me take the shot, right? Or am I mixing things? I just want to know the options. Thanks in advance.

Postby Roland

That's a good point about the coin toss. I don't know.

Postby Casey

The Ref in the Bond/Hendry match tossed the coin. It goes down as a re-spot.

Postby randam05

Ah okay wild, so he won. But I dont like that rule. He makes a poor mistake and wins the frame from it where technically if it came back out there would be enough points left for me to level it, and force a respot.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:Ah okay wild, so he won. But I dont like that rule. He makes a poor mistake and wins the frame from it where technically if it came back out there would be enough points left for me to level it, and force a respot.

yes but the idea is if the black still on the table and needing 1 snooker a player could tip tap for a hour hoping for a miss cue or a push shot.

so a foul on the black ends the frame thats why potting the pink so often signals end of frame.

Postby Witz78

the one instance i dont like the "frame ends after a foul on the black" rule is if you are ahead then foul by going in-off or missing it. By being ahead before the black you should have the advantage of being able to get away with a foul and your opponent getting 7 points but you still having enough points left to win the frame.

Postby Roland

randam05 wrote:Ah okay wild, so he won. But I dont like that rule. He makes a poor mistake and wins the frame from it where technically if it came back out there would be enough points left for me to level it, and force a respot.

He makes a poor mistake but he's scored more 14 points than you during regulation play so I guess that means he deserves to win the frame. Also thinking about it with a clear head it's nice to see exhibition shots on the black and changing the rule would put a end to that.

Postby Witz78

WHAT HAPPENS IN THIS SCENARIO THEN ???

Say its Ronnie v Hendry.

Hendry is 61-58 up then fouls the black by missing it so the scores go 65-61 to Ronnie but he chooses to play the black but goes in off ????????

Postby Roland

Ronnie wins. It's quite simple really

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:Ronnie wins. It's quite simple really

yeh i know but you can see how it would confuse so many people who werent 100% sure on the foul on the black ruling.

I dont fully agree with all the interpretations of it ill admit.

Postby Roland

Yeah as I said earlier, it took me a few years to understand it when I was younger. I thought it meant if you fouled on the black then you lose the game.

Postby randam05

Witz78 wrote:
Sonny wrote:Ronnie wins. It's quite simple really

yeh i know but you can see how it would confuse so many people who werent 100% sure on the foul on the black ruling.

I dont fully agree with all the interpretations of it ill admit.

But theres still enough points on the table for hendry to win!! cause potting a colour with the white, brings the colour back out! I understand it now fully, but its unfair in my eyes.

Postby Roland

Well it's always been the rule randam :santa:

Postby Witz78

just sent an intercoursing email to WSA and Hearn to intercoursing sort out this intercoursed up intercoursing rule !!!!!

Postby Roland

:redneck:

Postby randam05

Witz78 wrote:just sent an intercoursing email to WSA and Hearn to intercoursing sort out this intercoursed up intercoursing rule !!!!!

And you think youll get a reply?

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:
Witz78 wrote:just sent an intercoursing email to WSA and Hearn to intercoursing sort out this intercoursed up intercoursing rule !!!!!

Either That or a Girl through the Post and then intercoursing all night long <laugh>

Postby Witz78

randam05 wrote:

i didnt put a name at the bottom of it.

Im sure when they see all the words INTERCOURSING on it, theyll just file it in the bin along with all the other letters theyve had from Wild. rofl

Postby Eirebilly

It is an odd ruke but fortunately it doesnt come into play very often. When you understand it fully it can be a pain in the .... but you live with it. :john: