Post a reply

Re: Open Beta for top 269 WCS legends video: pls help if you

Postby LDS

Great selection there ESH.

From there, a lot have already been sorted from previous posts to full satisfaction: Mifsud, Edwards, Holt, Terry, Murphy, Read, Duggan, Martin.

Your Gill pic lets me know that the one I have of him already is already ideal and the right age-looking.

The Robin Hull one is good, but way too young and has convinced me that my current pic of Hull is probably more accurate than most others I could find, as his most prolific time was 2014, 2015, so a pic from a year or two back prob makes no real difference to his apt look.

Likewise, the Nick Walker one is too young really as he played in 1999, so at the moment I'm still prefering the too-old pic I have of him as being more apt, in that replacing him with a B/W too-young that's almost a photofit is doing less justice than a photo that's just too-old.

Cavney, Ponting and O'Connor are all great and have been immediately added & so now these three are no longer missing but just 'could be better', as in they really ought to be in colour for the era they played in. But this is no biggy compared to zero image.

Tai Pichit is a 10/10. Immediate cross off the list.

So the current remaining tally is now:

17 missing
14 could be better

(and 8 of those missing are pre-war, so no pic is actually acceptable for those in the grand scheme of things)

Remaining missing that really shouldn't be:

Post-war:

Harry Stokes

60s/70s:

Freddie Van Rensburg
Phil Tarrant
Rex King
Ron Mares

1980s:

Jack Fitzmaurice
Jon Wright

1990s:

David McLellan
Spencer Dunn

Those that could be better:

1980s:

John Bear (age)
Mario Morra (age)
Mark Fisher (pic too furry)

1990s:

Lee Walker (age)
Patrick Wallace (age)
Nick Walker (age)
Alfie Burden (age)
Graham Horne (obscured)
Leo Fernandez (obscured)
Mike Dunn (age)
Gary Ponting (b/w)
Paul Cavney (b/w)
Stephen O'Connor (b/w)

Postby LDS

Some super pics there. I'll definitely be using the Lindrum one, 10/10.

That Donaldson one, how awkward, it looks like joe's holding the trophy & hogging it from Donaldson <laugh> That's going to take some really creative editing to make it look like Walter holding the trophy alone as the winner <laugh>

Yes, that Lindrum game is the one I used in the video. I'll check it out again to see if I can get anything decent of rex now that I know which one's Rex.

Postby Empire State Human

These photos from the 1996-99 era.

Graham Horne

Leo Fernandez

John Read - in C O L O U R

Gary Ponting

Alfie Burden

Alfie Burden

David McLellan

Lee Walker versus his Crucible nemesis - the Magazine Fold.

Nick Walker - slightly older photo

I've been through 1990s Snooker Scene in its entirity. I think Spencer Dunn is a fail unless you can find something from a newspaper ...

Postby LDS

Another source has emailed me a couple of pics of Freddie Van Rensburg, so you can cross him off the list.

I'll share one of them here for our mutual enjoyment as it also includes a very young Peris Mans. This is from the same year as Freddie was Runner Up to Pulman in the Worlds, but this isn't from that event, this is from a South Africa event where Mans has usurped Rensburg's SA crown:

Postby badtemperedcyril

LDS wrote:Another source has emailed me a couple of pics of Freddie Van Rensburg, so you can cross him off the list.

I'll share one of them here for our mutual enjoyment as it also includes a very young Peris Mans. This is from the same year as Freddie was Runner Up to Pulman in the Worlds, but this isn't from that event, this is from a South Africa event where Mans has usurped Rensburg's SA crown:

Cracking picture LDS.

I believe the story goes something like this...

Pulman and Rex Williams were to tour South Africa playing a mammoth 51 exhibition matches at different venues all over the country. Whilst there, it had been arranged that Freddie van Rensburg, the SA champion for the past fifteen years, would challenge Pulman for his World title. Somewhere along the line (apparently, after they'd already departed England), it was agreed that the Pulman - Williams match series would also be for the World title. Meanwhile, van Rensburg was careless enough to lose his SA title to a 24-year old left-hander, Perrie Mans but alas, the SA organisers insisted that van Rensburg would still be the one to challenge Pulman, not Mans. Pulman overwhelmed van Rensburg 39-12.

Postby LDS

@ Empire State Human, do you only have mags from the 90s, or does your collection extend to the early 2000s as well, because Patrick Wallace was 2001 and Mike Dunn was 2002.

@ Badtemperedcyril, have you gone through all of your mags now? Or are you just having a break from the page turning?

Just trying to get an idea of whether I'm near the end of the possible finds and should start working on perfecting the final edit.

Those still missing, excluding pre-war characters:

Harry Stokes (1954-1955)
Phil Tarrant (1975)
Ron Mares (1975)
Jack Fitzmaurice (1982)
Jon Wright (1987)
Spencer Dunn (1993)

Those that need improving excluding pre-war characters:

Rex King (1975)
John Bear (1982)
Mark Fisher (1983)
Mario Morra (1984)
Steven O'Connor (1993)
Paul Cavney (1995)
Graham Horne (1997)
Leo Fernandez (1999)
Patrick Wallace (2001)
Mike Dunn (2002)

Postby Empire State Human

Jon Wright

Jack Fitzmaurice

And again

Another of Marcus Owen which no one asked for.

No particularly great pictures of Patrick Wallace or Mike Dunn from those times. I only checked the World Championship & qualifying editions of the magazine, so it's possible there's better in other magazines. Here's one of Wallace:

And there's none of Mike Dunn, unless you suspect, as I do, that this is him:

Postby LDS

Those are truly great ESH, that's practically cleared up most of the missing people & the Patrick Wallace is icing on the cake. Mike Dunn remains quite the tease though!

I've decided to not get too pedantic at this stage now, what with everything being so close to completion. From now on I think the remaining list looks as follows:

Missing:

Harry Stokes (1954-55)
Ron Mares (1975)

Needs improving:

John Bear (1982)
Mark Fisher (1983)
Mike Dunn (2002)

And those pre-war guys who are still missing, though there's no expectation here:

Albert Cope (1927-28)
Nat Butler (1927-30)
Clare O'Donnell (1936)
Joe Brady (1927)
Kelsall Prince (1929)
Bill Withers (1937)
Bert Terry (1936)
Fred Smith (1928)

I dunno, what do you think? Shall I treat it as good-to-go, or do you think it's worth looking for these last few remainders?

Postby LDS

mack501 wrote:Looking forward to seeing the end product.

I completed a final edit today. Spent 11 hours going through the three rendering phases required to make an edit-suit video a Youtube video - That is: converting the file to AVI, then converting that 500gb file to a 3.5gb file youtube would accept, then uploading it to youtube.

And one of the video clips totalling just 3 minutes of runtime got the entire video blocked in all territories.

So, for the fourth time, I'll have to look for another video clip of one of the players :(

I'm tempted at this stage just to slap a floating question mark video clip on this guy. Which I'm sure will confuse a lot of potential viewers as there's billions of clips of this guy on youtube...

Postby LDS

This thread is now finished as far as I'm concerned as a new thread has superseded it. The video in the OP is no longer relevant and has been deleted from Youtube. I will no longer be following this wonderful thread.

My recommendation is that this thread now be moved to the Photos section of this website, or archived somewhere or whatever. Not closed or locked, but just moved somewhere more appropriate.

All matters regarding The Top 269 WSC video are now to be posted in the new thread which can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10544

As the final edit for the 1927-2020 top 269 list video is now live on Youtube and wont be amended again until new data relevant from new WSC championships.

The hunt is still on for missing players, just no longer in this thread nor relating to the non-existent video linked in the OP.

Postby LDS

Since it's been 3 years since I made the vid, it's now time to update it with a new vid, what with all the movements in placings and now that I feel refreshed enough to approach such a mammoth task again.

I'm maintaining the scoring system exactly as before but am totally overhauling to presentation, hopefully to provide a much more entertaining overall experience, but hopefully without losing any of the educational value.

So this is another opportunity to also update any pictures that people might have become aware of since the past three years.

I'm just closing in on completing the ranks 279-200 section and will update the thread periodically to list which players could use better photos as I get to the photo/video stage of each batch.

Also, I very much enjoyed Prop's music about Clive Everton the other week, I'd be interested if he, or anyone else that makes original music, would be interested in creating any themes for the vid?

Postby Holden Chinaski

LDS wrote:Since it's been 3 years since I made the vid, it's now time to update it with a new vid, what with all the movements in placings and now that I feel refreshed enough to approach such a mammoth task again.

I'm maintaining the scoring system exactly as before but am totally overhauling to presentation, hopefully to provide a much more entertaining overall experience, but hopefully without losing any of the educational value.

So this is another opportunity to also update any pictures that people might have become aware of since the past three years.

I'm just closing in on completing the ranks 279-200 section and will update the thread periodically to list which players could use better photos as I get to the photo/video stage of each batch.

Also, I very much enjoyed Prop's music about Clive Everton the other week, I'd be interested if he, or anyone else that makes original music, would be interested in creating any themes for the vid?

:ok:

Postby LDS

So I've now completed the screens for positions 140-279 and the gaps in the pictures amount to:

Joe Brady - 1927
Fred Smith - 1928
Kelsall Prince - 1929
Nat Butler - 1927 & 1930
Bert Terry - 1936
Clare O'Donnell - 1936
Ron Mares - 1975

To which those from the pre-war might be virtually impossible I guess.

The following two I have pictures for but they are very blurry and don't expand well at all to larger screens and I'm loathe to resort to getty or almany and the like:

Rex King - 1975
Bradley Jones - 1997

Surely at least these 2 and Mares should be somewhere accessible?

Postby LDS

Thanks to all who have helped fill in some gaps since my last post, it really is just the very old slightly more obscure ones who are left as unidentified:

Albert Cope 1927 1928
Joe Brady 1927
Fred Smith 1928
Kelsall Prince 1929
Nat Butler 1927 1930
Bert Terry 1936
Clare O'Donnell 1936

And I suspect there are pics of them, but just as private photos in someone's physical private collection or hanging on walls in clubs, framed but undocumented.

But just missing 7 out of 279 is pretty good going.

Sorry it's taking so long to complete. While I can get a lot done during my days off, my current job is different to my previous one and I have much fewer days off to get at it. Ironically, though the video will hopefully be at least half the length of the previous one, it's taking me twice as long to complete, even with so much already researched from the old one.

Nearly there though, I've completed all positions from 279-40, so just the top 39 to go! So hopefully sometime in July or August for a completion date. As long as it's before the new season starts proper that should be good.

I'd love to provide some teasers of the already completed sections, but I shan't tempt the bad luck fate by doing so just yet.

Postby LDS

Yes, I saw that & thanks, I think it will improve the overall if this time I try and have a consistent theme through the video rather than the constant changes in the previous one.

Adding the music is still a short way off as that will be done in post production, along with all the final edits and gluing it all together.

My boss surprised me by giving me a week off this past week, so I've pretty much spent every day closing out the beta stage and I'm very glad to report that I have now completed the cards for everyone from 279-3, with number 2 hopefully getting some attention tomorrow.

So, hopefully, I can release it sometime in July, and provide everyone with some much needed off-season classic snooker entertainment before the season starts proper at the end of August.