7%
UK Championship
21%
Scottish Open
No votes
Welsh Open
57%

Total votes : 14

Re: Most prestigious Home Nations Event?

Postby SnookerFan

Are you just copying my threads now? rofl

I voted English. Because I go most years.

I go most years to Wales, as well. But never been massively sold on Cardiff as a venue somehow.

Postby SnookerEd25

McManusFan wrote:It's the Welsh, it's on BBC Wales and you get the joy of Darren Morgan's commentary...

It was, including last year, one of the few places you could still listen to Willie Thorne on comms; that was actually a big plus for me.

Postby SnookerFan

Talking of the Home Nations, Ali Carter posted this the other day on Twitter.

Ali Carter @TheCaptain147
I reckon there should be a new snooker tournament called the Milton Keynes masters! #youhearditherefirst

I don't usually pay much attention to Ali Carter, but this did get me wondering. Why are they still calling it the Northern Ireland Open this year? And they're doing the same with the Scottish Open too, aren't they?

I know it's a non-issue, but they could keep the format identical, but change the names to the Milton Keynes Open or The Milton Keynes Classic. Or just anything really. Rather than have the rather silly situation with a tournament being named after a place that it isn't being played in.

Maybe it's sponsorship reasons? If a company is contracted to sponsor the Home Nations for X amount of years, and then you don't hold it properly one year, would they get out of putting sponsorhip up due to a loophole that the tournament they signed to sponsor technically doesn't exist. (Even if the only reason for not holding it is a temporary name change.) Or maybe they already have a lot of branding/signs done for each tournament, and it's not worth changing the name.

They're not even doing the million prize money this year, so it can't be for reasons of keeping that.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Talking of the Home Nations, Ali Carter posted this the other day on Twitter.

Ali Carter @TheCaptain147
I reckon there should be a new snooker tournament called the Milton Keynes masters! #youhearditherefirst

I don't usually pay much attention to Ali Carter, but this did get me wondering. Why are they still calling it the Northern Ireland Open this year? And they're doing the same with the Scottish Open too, aren't they?

I know it's a non-issue, but they could keep the format identical, but change the names to the Milton Keynes Open or The Milton Keynes Classic. Or just anything really. Rather than have the rather silly situation with a tournament being named after a place that it isn't being played in.

Maybe it's sponsorship reasons? If a company is contracted to sponsor the Home Nations for X amount of years, and then you don't hold it properly one year, would they get out of putting sponsorhip up due to a loophole that the tournament they signed to sponsor technically doesn't exist. (Even if the only reason for not holding it is a temporary name change.) Or maybe they already have a lot of branding/signs done for each tournament, and it's not worth changing the name.

They're not even doing the million prize money this year, so it can't be for reasons of keeping that.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:Because calling every thing after MK would be silly. And who gives buck anyway.

Any more silly than calling a tournament in Milton Keynes, the Northern Ireland Open? Also, they don't specifically have to put Milton Keynes in the title. They could give it a name that was location non-specific if they thought it sounded better.

Saying that, I agree with you. It's not some burning issue that matters that much. I won't lie awake at nights thinking about it.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:This guy thinks it's Ireland too, article just published today... https://clusterofreds.com/2020/11/12/pr ... land-open/

I kinda of get what he's saying, but just because the final the last couple have years has been good doesn't make the event better. It's just coincidence more than anything.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:My favourite is the Welsh, maybe because I have soft spot for it because I attended the 2014 final where Ronnie made a 147 against Ding in the final frame for my birthday.

I was there for that as well. <ok>