Post a reply

Re: Matchroom.Live English Open Quarter-Finals

Postby Andre147

SteveJJ wrote:Selby wins 5-2

Still unbeaten this season. 12 wins and 1 draw (and 2 walkovers).

2 wins away from being the first to win the first two tournaments of the season since 1990 (Hendry).

Stats pinched from the commentators.

Ronnie almost did that in 2008 when he lost 10-8 to Walden in Shanghai Final, after winning the NI Trophy.

Selby more than capable of doing so.

Postby SnookerFan

I was just about to post a Twitter Attack then.

Sod it, doing it anyway.

TWITTER ATTACK!

David Hendon @davehendon
No one has won the first two ranking events of the season since Stephen Hendry in 1990. Mark Selby now two wins away from doing that. Into the English Open semis.

Postby TheRocket

SteveJJ wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Weak match but in fairness to Selby. It was Zhou who dragged the match down. With his 31 second AST.

Are Yue saying that Zhou made that match Long?

<laugh>

but its exactly that. Selby played quicker and scored heavier than his opponent.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:Higgins has played pretty good so far this week. His opponent on the other hand reached the quarter final for the first time in his career.

There can only be one winner.

Isn't that always true?

What matches have two winners?

Postby SteveJJ

TheRocket wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Weak match but in fairness to Selby. It was Zhou who dragged the match down. With his 31 second AST.

Are Yue saying that Zhou made that match Long?

<laugh>

but its exactly that. Selby played quicker and scored heavier than his opponent.

I agree entirely - and if it was Zhou's gameplan then he was never going to out tactic Selby

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:Higgins has played pretty good so far this week. His opponent on the other hand reached the quarter final for the first time in his career.

Yep, Mark Selby

Postby SteveJJ

SnookerFan wrote:

Isn't that always true?

Sometimes the game of snooker is also the winner

Postby SteveJJ

SnookerFan wrote:Yay! More Championship League.

At least its something different - with a lot of tournaments following the same format at the same venue then there's nowt wrong with a bit of variety - even if not the greatest. At least the next stage should see some good groups.

Is it just history that makes us not like group format tournaments?

I mean football fans don't moan about the Champions League etc.

I didn't like them in the past due to the higher likelihood of betting scams/match fixing but whilst that may not be stopped i think the current regime has a tighter handle on spotting such instances which should dissuade people from even trying.

Bring back the World Doubles and the Trick shot Chapionship!

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:

Isn't that always true?

doubles

Postby snucar

SnookerFan wrote:Weird to think that before today, Zhou had the superior head to head.

In only three matches, mind. <laugh>

Nothing is weird when the legendary Mark Johnston Allen exists! Arguably the greatest player to ever pick up a cue! :bowdown:

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:I wouldn't mind a Trump vs Higgins or Trump vs Robertson match.

Trump-Higgins would definitely be interesting with Judd’s lost momentum and Higgins’ renewed confidence.

Postby Juddernaut88

Kyren Wilson and Mark Allen have secured places in the Champions of champions. Kyren gets there due to being runner up in the World final. Mark Allen gets there due to his ranking. Jimmy White also there for winning the Seniors.
So 2 places left. Winner of English Open and maybe winner of Woman world championship. However if Judd, Robbo, Selby or Kyren win the English Open I suspect the next highest ranking player will make it which is John Higgins I believe.

Postby The_Abbott

Juddernaut88 wrote:Kyren Wilson and Mark Allen have secured places in the Champions of champions. Kyren gets there due to being runner up in the World final. Mark Allen gets there due to his ranking. Jimmy White also there for winning the Seniors.
So 2 places left. Winner of English Open and maybe winner of Woman world championship. However if Judd, Robbo, Selby or Kyren win the English Open I suspect the next highest ranking player will make it which is John Higgins I believe.

Champion of Champions (with a few non-champions)

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Kyren Wilson and Mark Allen have secured places in the Champions of champions. Kyren gets there due to being runner up in the World final. Mark Allen gets there due to his ranking. Jimmy White also there for winning the Seniors.

Hope you have researched this thoroughly or you might be in line for a ‘DanBan’ for posting fake news...

:hmmm:
Last edited by SnookerEd25 on 16 Oct 2020, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:

Hope you have researched this thoroughly or you might be in line for a ‘DanBan’ for posting fake news...

:hmmm:

<laugh> I've done the research I'm just not certain though if woman's world champion will get in or not. Hopefully we'll get confirmation after this event.

Postby Wildey

No Woman's Tour snooker until next year.

Postby Juddernaut88

Wildey wrote:

No Woman's Tour snooker until next year.

:hatoff:

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Yay! More Championship League.

At least its something different - with a lot of tournaments following the same format at the same venue then there's nowt wrong with a bit of variety - even if not the greatest. At least the next stage should see some good groups.

Is it just history that makes us not like group format tournaments?

I mean football fans don't moan about the Champions League etc.

I didn't like them in the past due to the higher likelihood of betting scams/match fixing but whilst that may not be stopped i think the current regime has a tighter handle on spotting such instances which should dissuade people from even trying.

Bring back the World Doubles and the Trick shot Chapionship!

Group stage just doesn't work for snooker, in my opinion. Individual sport in general too, I suppose. It certainly doesn't work in a sport like snooker where there isn't normally a draw.

When I was still getting into snooker, I'd sit down and think; "I'll just watch a frame of snooker, see what happens." Then after one frame, I'd want to know what happens next. Especially if something dramatic had happened, like one person misses frame ball. What would the response be?

Suddenly, I'd realise I'd been watching all afternoon. There's tension there.

Where's the tension when a) Both players can get a draw and b) If you lose, you're not necessarily out. The excitement of snooker disappears if you're not knocked out after one loss. It just isn't the same.

Football is a team game, and has pretty much always been built around a league structure. Yes, you can get some straight knockout tournaments like the FA Cup. But that's more of a minority. The whole point of things like the Premier League is that you play everybody home and away, and then the person who does the best wins. Knockout cup competitions are seen as something to win on top of the main league. And even stuff like the Champions League, is 50% league structure before the straight knockouts start.

Besides, you couldn't structure the football season like you do with the snooker season. How are you supposed to have several week long knock-out tournaments in a football season? It wouldn't work.

It's apples and oranges to compare the two.