Post a reply

Are Polo t-shirts a better option than the standard uncomfortable dress code ?

1. Yes
24%
2. No
76%

Total votes : 17

Snooker dress code

Postby Johnny Bravo

For as long as I've known, snooker players have worn a shirt and bowtie.

I've tried to play dressed like that myself once and it was horrible. The shirt was holding me and not allowing me to make smooth moves, it hampered my cue delivery bigtime.

IMO snooker should get rid of this moronic dress code and let players wear more comfortable clothes.
The Shootout dress code should be implemented to all events. Polo t-shirts are far more comfortable to wear and at the same time they allow a sort of standardization.

But the colors of the polo t-shirts also matters. I propose the following colors to be used:
- white for the world champion ROS. The cueball is also white so that suggests that the guy wearing the white t-shirt is the ultimate master of the cueball, the King of snooker.
- black for the WN1
- pink for the players ranked 2 to 5
- blue for the players ranked 6 to 10
- brown for the players ranked 11 and 12
- green for those ranked 13 and 14
- yellow for the guys ranked 15 and 16
- red for all the other pros on tour, signaling their lower status.

What do you guys think ? Discuss:

Re: Snooker dress code

Postby SnookerFan

My opinion on this differs from the majority, in that I really don't care what the players wear that much. In fact, I don't think I'd even noticed they'd not been wearing waistcoats in the matches I've watched this week.

They're probably more comfortable to play in, and I wouldn't mind if they kept them for most of the tournaments. So I'd have no problem with keeping them over waistcoats and bow-ties personally, but I suspect most will disagree.

I don't really see the need to have different coloured shirts based on where you're ranked. That wouldn't add anything.

Postby HappyCamper

no, the shootout polo shirts look naff.

dress shirts are fine. if it is restricting your movement that just means it doesn't fit and you need a better tailor.

Postby Sickpotter

Just because your nice snooker outfit doesn't fit you well doesn't make it an issue for others ;-)

Dressing nice offers players more sponsorship opportunities and adds a little class to the game, leave it be :spot on:

Postby Johnny Bravo

SnookerFan wrote:I don't really see the need to have different coloured shirts based on where you're ranked. That wouldn't add anything.

Sure it does, it shows where your game is atm and how good you are.
Plus it's nice to look at. :-)

Postby Johnny Bravo

Sickpotter wrote:Just because your nice snooker outfit doesn't fit you well doesn't make it an issue for others ;-)

It fits me just fine, but it's still an incovenience and it's hampering my movement. :-(

Sickpotter wrote:Dressing nice offers players more sponsorship opportunities and adds a little class to the game, leave it be :spot on:

B.ollocks. Sponsorship does not derive from the way they are dressed, not even 1%

Postby The_Abbott

Need to keep it. I like that they look tidy (apart from Hamilton). I don't want to see players in ripped jeans and tattoo sleeves in shot all the time. Concentrate on the snooker not the individual

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
I don't really see the need to have different coloured shirts based on where you're ranked. That wouldn't add anything.

you get it in cycling for classification leaders in stage races; and for current national champions. where it mostly looks good. but those are a handful of jerseys in a 150+ peloton.

Postby Johnny Bravo

HappyCamper wrote:no, the shootout polo shirts look naff.

They'll use different polo shirts, just in one tone colors. :-)

HappyCamper wrote:dress shirts are fine

No they are not. Snooker is a sport and players should wear more comfortable clothes.

Postby Johnny Bravo

The_Abbott wrote:Need to keep it. I like that they look tidy (apart from Hamilton). I don't want to see players in ripped jeans and tattoo sleeves in shot all the time. Concentrate on the snooker not the individual

Jeans won't be allowed. They'll all have to wear chino pants and polo t-shirts

Postby Iranu

No.

No no no.

Polo shirts look bucking terrible, look how skanky darts and the Shoot Out look.

They shouldn’t change anything, clearly most players don’t mind it that much. As long as they buy a shirt that allows for the stretching there’s no issue.

Postby Johnny Bravo

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

you get it in cycling for classification leaders in stage races; and for current national champions. where it mostly looks good. but those are a handful of jerseys in a 150+ peloton.

But our current situation will be the same. Only the top 16 will wear different colored t-shirts, the rest will wear red ones.

Postby Iranu

I can’t express strongly enough how much I hate this bucking idea.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Iranu wrote:I can’t express strongly enough how much I hate this bucking idea.

+1

Postby HappyCamper

Johnny Bravo wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:no, the shootout polo shirts look naff.

They'll use different polo shirts, just in one tone colors. :-)

it's not just the colours. they look cheap, are all in the same style, and don't fit the individual players well.

HappyCamper wrote:dress shirts are fine

No they are not. Snooker is a sport and players should wear more comfortable clothes.

it's a sport but primarily a mental one which doesn't require great aerobic effort. smart attire is suitable, looks good, and fits a tradition worth keeping. the only potential issue with comfort is if the clothes are badly fitted.

also no-one should ever be made to wear a brown polo shirt. jfc.

Postby chengdufan

I'm with Johnny on this one

Postby Acé

Waistcoat >>>> Home Nations dress code

thing is most of these bald white men from the UK are unsightly to look at with their morning fry up guts sticking out of their shirts...not a shred of muscle mass or shape amongst anyone, Home Nations has been revealing

there's a reason why the referees are also European women and not English Women, european women >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> chavvy "u wot m8" council estate english women, they have natural beauty and better figures

so all in all, the issue is the English are amongst the worsts in terms of appearance.

Postby Acé

Johnny you're Brazilian right?

I had a Colombian girlfriend not so long ago so you're used to seeing daily latinas 24/7 and men in shape (natural muscle mass), England is the complete opposite

Postby The_Abbott

Scooper wrote:Yes, they’re sportsmen, not waiters. I say let them dress comfortably.

what if they waiter in the evenings?

Postby chengdufan

Put on your blue suede Xu Si...

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:Polo shirts look bucking terrible, look how skanky darts and the Shoot Out look.

They won't use those type of ugly colored t-shirts, they'll use ones like these:
https://www.ralphlauren.co.uk/en/slim-f ... poloshirts

That’s still hideous.

Red would clash so much with the table, and imagine being the poor bucker forced to wear a brown one.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Acé wrote:Johnny you're Brazilian right?

I had a Colombian girlfriend not so long ago so you're used to seeing daily latinas 24/7 and men in shape (natural muscle mass), England is the complete opposite

I'm in great shape too. As are many South Americans.

The thing is they are more fit people in countries that are not very rich, South America and Eastern Europe being a very good example.

You people in the UK eat too much junk food.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:Polo shirts look bucking terrible, look how skanky darts and the Shoot Out look.

They won't use those type of ugly colored t-shirts, they'll use ones like these:
https://www.ralphlauren.co.uk/en/slim-f ... poloshirts

That’s still hideous.

Red would clash so much with the table, and imagine being the poor bucker forced to wear a brown one.

No, the one I showed you looks very nice. I love Polo t-shirts and wear them. :-)
They make you look more serious, more mature of a person, than if you were wearing t-shirts with lots of silly pictures/color combinations.

You might have a point about the guy who has to wear a brown one, but he can upgrade by climbing or falling down the rankings.

Plus I just proposed some color schemes, they don't have to wear the exact colors I mentioned.
I still think that the World Champ and WN1 should wear white and black, and the rest can choose what colors they like.
But we can skip that alltogether and everyone can wear what colors they like.

ROS would look good in white, black or red.
Mark Allen can wear the Irish green.
Mark King can go for yellow, just like his waistcoat. Pink will also look good on him.
Smurf is an automatic pink, cause hes fat.
Higgins is also a pink or blue.
Selbo will be brown, cause...you get the analogy ;-) :chuckle: