Post a reply

Re: James Cahill

Postby Cloud Strife

I think so. Some of his antics at the 2019 World Championship left a lot to be desired, it has to be said. Doesn't seem like the brightest around.

Postby The_Abbott

he will be living off that win over Ronnie when hes 50 years old and a world ranking of 125.

One hit wonder

Postby Dan-cat

The_Abbott wrote:he will be living off that win over Ronnie when hes 50 years old and a world ranking of 125.

One hit wonder

Yeah. Giant killer of one round early. He did Ding in the UK as well as I remember

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:he will be living off that win over Ronnie when hes 50 years old and a world ranking of 125.

One hit wonder

Yeah. Giant killer of one round early. He did Ding in the UK as well as I remember

He did. I remember watching that.

Apparently he knocked Selby out in the last-128 in York one year, as well.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 14 Oct 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:I think so. Some of his antics at the 2019 World Championship left a lot to be desired, it has to be said. Doesn't seem like the brightest around.

Remind me.

What did he do?

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:I think so. Some of his antics at the 2019 World Championship left a lot to be desired, it has to be said. Doesn't seem like the brightest around.

Remind me.

What did he do?

he beat ronnie o'sullivan. shocking really.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Remind me.

What did he do?

Such arrogance. rofl

Seriously, was that it? Or did he actually say or do something afterwards?

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerFan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Remind me.

What did he do?

Such arrogance. rofl

Seriously, was that it? Or did he actually say or do something afterwards?

he refused to talk to the print press because the sun ran a story about a couple of legal snafus from his past or something like that.

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:he refused to talk to the print press because the sun ran a story about a couple of legal snafus from his past or something like that.

Seems reasonable enough.

Or was there more too it than that?

Postby Scooper

One hit wonder

Is that you Hendry?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Rather a sad story, and doubtless other players at it... https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/8932414/ ... s-airport/

Ah, I see.

To be fair, those are quite serious allegations and can see why they'd make the paper. Maybe the timing was suspect, bringing them up when Cahill had just got probably the biggest win of his career. But that's The Sun for you. It's a gossip-mag, at the end of the day.

But assuming those allegations are true, Cahill hardly has the moral high ground there.

Are we taking them as true? It is in The Sun.

Postby HappyCamper

61kg of fags seems like fair personal use to me. most snooker players are like chimneys.

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:61kg of fags seems like fair personal use to me. most snooker players are like chimneys.

It was 7,000 fags PLUS 61kg of rolling tobacco if I’ve read it right.

Postby Acé

No but he's definitely the most overrated player I've ever seen

sick of hearing "giant killer" all the time, Eurosport were having a field day yesterday with it... just cuz he caused a few upsets? No one would know this guy if he didn't beat ROS in 2019, man would've preferred ROS to win that match then lose vs Maguire the next round

Postby SnookerFan

Acé wrote:No but he's definitely the most overrated player I've ever seen

sick of hearing "giant killer" all the time, Eurosport were having a field day yesterday with it... just cuz he caused a few upsets? No one would know this guy if he didn't beat ROS in 2019, man would've preferred ROS to win that match then lose vs Maguire the next round

I already knew who he was pre-Ronnie.

Didn't you?

Postby TheRocket

Dont think the guy has any reason to be arrogant tbh. He beat Ronnie at the Worlds. Ok he also beat Selby and Ding at the UK. But what else has he done in this game?

His best result has been getting to the 3rd round at the Shootout,Paul Hunter Classic and the Indian Open.

Postby Iranu

Is he arrogant?

Postby TheRocket

I dont know if he is arrogant. But if he was he doesnt have any reason to be so.

Postby SteveJJ

TheRocket wrote:Dont think the guy has any reason to be arrogant tbh. He beat Ronnie at the Worlds. Ok he also beat Selby and Ding at the UK. But what else has he done in this game?

His best result has been getting to the 3rd round at the Shootout,Paul Hunter Classic and the Indian Open.

The judge thought he was a young lad with a lot of promise

Postby Alex0paul

SteveJJ wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Dont think the guy has any reason to be arrogant tbh. He beat Ronnie at the Worlds. Ok he also beat Selby and Ding at the UK. But what else has he done in this game?

The judge thought he was a young lad with a lot of promise

Michael Judge?

Postby COLDPLAY27

Just get the impression from him that he niggles other professionals. Hes aware hes talented but unless you can back up these giant killing performances by going much further on a regular basis, then his self inflated confidence is wasted

Postby SnookerEd25

Pink Ball puts this thread to bed. Nice one Pinkie <ok>

Next topic : do other pros think Ashley Carty has the nicest feet? :chin:

Postby Dragonfly

Fair play to Cahill for beating O'Sullivan in a long match. I doubt if he is going to build on that result though. Cahill is obviously a useful player but nothing extraordinary.

Postby Dan-cat

I like him, and I like a bit of arrogance in a sportsman. So this Ronnie fan doesn't hold any grudge for that. He was outplayed and outgunned, simple as.

Postby SnookerEd25

Dragonfly wrote:Fair play to Cahill for beating O'Sullivan in a long match. I doubt if he is going to build on that result though. Cahill is obviously a useful player but nothing extraordinary.

Maybe he will, maybe he won't; that's the beauty of sport in general, and ours in particular - you just never know.

I have quoted this before, but here is an excerpt from the book 'Mordecai Richler On Snooker' (published 2001)

"Besting Hendry at the table had to make for a hallelujah day for Bingham, but he struck me, perhaps unreasonably, as a sad case. Somebody who had reached his professional life's zenith at the know-nothing age of twenty-three, the rest likely to be a dying fall. True, his most recent ranking was number thirty-five, a giant step up from ninety-two, but that placement still confined him in the thick of the also-rans who had to qualify for major tournaments. In my mind's eye, I saw him fifty years on, dandling a grandchild on his knee even as he reached for a scrapbook of yellowing newspaper cuttings : 'Why, back in the year 2000, I drew Stephen Hendry in the Crucible's first round. Everybody assumed your grandad was a goner, but...' "