So match 3 is complete. Here is the result:

AcesInc 5-4 Deewee

The winning breaks:
32 AI
23 AI
22 AI
16, 16, 16, 16, 16 (4x DW + 1 AI)
15 AI

So in the end, Aces' 15 break wins the match! Well played to both players, another close match :-)

Re: 2020 Snooker Island World Championship

Postby chengdufan

For completeness, here is Aces' break list:
32, 23, 22, 16, 15, 15, 13, 12, 12.

Total points:
Aces 160
Deewee 113

Average break:
Aces 18
Deewee 13

Postby chengdufan

Quarter Finals:
SnookerEd25 5-3 Rekoons
PLtheRef 6-3 ChengduFan
AcesInc 5-4 Deewee
Johnny Bravo 5-4 Pink Ball

Semi Finals:
Johnny Bravo v PLtheRef
SnookerEd25 v AcesInc

Postby Deewee

One ball away! I had my chances but not too bad. Playing while hunting for breaks definitely added some intrigue and I do want to try this format again. Thanks Chengdufan!

Postby chengdufan

Deewee wrote:One ball away! I had my chances but not too bad. Playing while hunting for breaks definitely added some intrigue and I do want to try this format again. Thanks Chengdufan!

Yes, unlucky Deewee. Another pot or two on the 13 break would have been enough, but it wasn't to be...
Tell us about your game, what can you remember?

Postby chengdufan

chengdufan wrote:Semi Finals:
SnookerEd25 v AcesInc

I'm looking forward to this one. Should be a good match!

Postby acesinc

Deewee wrote:My frames: 16,16,16,16,13,9,9,9,9

Well played, Deewee! Congratulations on a hard fought match. Consistent 16s like that is admirable (assuming it is the common Red-Black pairings) and 16 and 17 is often my own most common break score (though you wouldn't know it from this match). Far too often I fall apart on the third Black even if I am in good position to pot. Mental barrier.

This is the first time I am checking in for several days; been extremely busy with work but in a good way. I had to scroll through topics all the way to page 2 to find the thread; sorry to keep you waiting so long. Little time on the billiards table lately so hopefully, I can get my next match finished within a couple weeks. I do have a match scheduled for tomorrow with the club's biggest grinder, but I have decided to mark it or I may not finish the match for weeks. So hopefully 4 or 5 frames tomorrow, then finish up next weekend.

SnookerEd, please accept my Covid compliant elbow bump, and play well, sir!

Postby Juddernaut88

I did play Snooker last Friday and I won 5-2 against my mate. I was 2-0 down. I'm not part of this competition though of course as I'm only playing like now and again but thought I'd at least share this. I made a few 13 breaks but of course that is nothing. I can't remember the frame scores though. I also seemed to play a bit more negatively compared to what I used to, I turned down a lot of shots lol.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Juddernaut88 wrote:I did play Snooker last Friday and I won 5-2 against my mate. I was 2-0 down. I'm not part of this competition though of course as I'm only playing like now and again but thought I'd at least share this. I made a few 13 breaks but of course that is nothing. I can't remember the frame scores though. I also seemed to play a bit more negatively compared to what I used to, I turned down a lot of shots lol.

Turning down shots is a Selbo trait :td: :no:
Get a grip of yourself and make your idol proud by playing like he would, taking on every ball, no matter how hard it is. That's the proper way to play and improve ;-) :-D

Postby chengdufan

Johnny Bravo wrote:Any recent news ?

I'm still waiting to hear from PLtheRef, SnookerEd25 and AcesInc.

Your breaks have been placed in the oven on low and are keeping warm.

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I did play Snooker last Friday and I won 5-2 against my mate. I was 2-0 down. I'm not part of this competition though of course as I'm only playing like now and again but thought I'd at least share this. I made a few 13 breaks but of course that is nothing. I can't remember the frame scores though. I also seemed to play a bit more negatively compared to what I used to, I turned down a lot of shots lol.

:D :happy: Great to hear about your game Judders. And congratulations on your win.

I'm on board with any 10+ break, I know how difficult snooker is.
I should say, we have a work snooker league and I'm the 2nd or 3rd best player. Most people in the office can pot the odd ball, but more than 2 in a row is a dream for most.

I really do admire all the guys on here who can get regular 10s and 20+ breaks. You lot talk as if it is nothing, but it really is quite skillful and takes a lot of practice.

Postby Juddernaut88

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Get a grip of yourself and make your idol proud by playing like he would, taking on every ball, no matter how hard it is. That's the proper way to play and improve ;-) :-D

Johny Mark Selby is my hero and inspiration you see ;) if if I ever get anywhere near close to your level I will go for more shots.

Postby Juddernaut88

chengdufan wrote:

:D :happy: Great to hear about your game Judders. And congratulations on your win.

I'm on board with any 10+ break, I know how difficult snooker is.
I should say, we have a work snooker league and I'm the 2nd or 3rd best player. Most people in the office can pot the odd ball, but more than 2 in a row is a dream for most.

I really do admire all the guys on here who can get regular 10s and 20+ breaks. You lot talk as if it is nothing, but it really is quite skillful and takes a lot of practice.

Cheers mate :) I wish I could play more regularly. Also making 10+ 20+ breaks is an achievement for me. It's good that you're in the top 3 players in your work Snooker league :happy:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Johny Mark Selby is my hero and inspiration you see ;) if if I ever get anywhere near close to your level I will go for more shots.

Your idols are Hendry and Trump, not Selbo.
WTF man <doh>

Postby acesinc

chengdufan wrote:

Good morning all. I popped in this morning and saw these posts so I thought I would update. The guests are late for dinner so the roast beast may be burnt I am afraid. Sadly, my time on the table has come to a near standstill. I managed a session against my grinder nemesis (though a very dear friend) over the weekend and that is all so far. We played five frames but he utterly wore me down psychologically so I only counted the first four toward the competition. As is nearly always the case against him, I did quite well first frame and each one after that went downhill as he tightened up to the point that no scoring balls ever seemed to be available. First frame ran a respectable 30 minutes but each after that grew progressively longer until the fourth frame was over an hour. Anyone who has read my posts in the past will remember that frames with my son are generally 20, 25 minutes. And I play my same game as always so when a frame takes over an hour, it very likely means that I have been sitting in my chair waiting on a decision from my opponent for about 50 of those 60 minutes. So by the time we got to the fifth, I decided it is not likely to go well and I will try to get my last competition frames in somewhere else.

The highlight of the session was actually a come-from-behind frame victory. My opponent put together a very clean and respectable 32 with four Blacks which is extremely good for his standard. (Not to harp too much on the time factor, but let me also say that this eight ball break consumed about seven minutes of frame time.) Second to high breaks, my next favorite pastime in the World of Snooker is to snatch a frame from an opponent who presumably believed themselves to have an insurmountable lead. Those were in fact the first points of the frame so I was simply starting from a 32 point deficit with loads of points still on table. I won that frame quite handily when I potted the Brown I believe leaving him needing snookers. My lifetime best in this regard was to win a frame after an opponent joyfully ran a 45 against me giving him a strong lead with just a few Reds left. My son has often quipped that I always seem to play my best snooker when I am in dire straits like this.

So I am hoping to get the last five frames done over this weekend though I don't actually have a session scheduled yet. The very good news is that it is less than a month now until the boy gets home from Uni for a long break from school. Then, I will get plenty of snookering done as we generally have two or three sessions a week. And far more open style play with much better break building. Sadly, I expect the inaugural SIWC to be completed by then so just when I am likely to post my best numbers, the tournament will be over. :-(

Postby Johnny Bravo

chengdufan wrote:

:spot on:

Postby chengdufan

The first semi final match is complete. Here's the score:

Johnny Bravo 8-1 PLtheRef

Congratulations to Johnny B on his win!
Although the scoreline was one-sided, PL put in some good breaks. Well done to both players :-)

I will post their break scores below.

Postby chengdufan

JB
101 (!), 88, 61, 50, 39, 37, 28, 24, 16

PL
17, 16, 15, 15, 13, 13, 13, 12, 11

The first century break of the SIWC! Very well done Johnny!
Great consistency again from PL. I'm very impressed you got another 9 10+ers!!

Total points scored:
JB 444-125 PL

Average break
JB 49-14 PL