Post a reply

Re: BetVictor European Masters Final !!!

Postby Andre147

D4P wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Well done to Selby on winning another ranking event, I knew he would produce the goods this season and it's only the first tournament.

Yeah, I think we'll look back after this season and be even more surprised than we are now that Ronnie beat Selby at the 2020 WSC.

I wasn't surprised he beat Selby, because he's beaten him in high profile matches before, but more the fact that he beat him with a comeback, winning 3 frames on the spin. Against Selby it's always the other way around.

Postby hendry_fan

motorhead wrote:Selbssss :win: 10th consecutive ranker final won :bowdown: absolutely crazy.

Yep,just 1 behind Hendrys record. >-( :-)

Verrry well done Mark!. :clap: :clap: :clap: :win:

I <only> saw the last few frames.

Hard luck to Martin,but very pleased that he decided not to retire.

Now then,this win now puts Mr Selby on= Ranking finals: 27 (18 titles, 9 runners-up).

Selby made six 50+ breaks,(2 of them were centurys).

Gould made six 60+ breaks,(2 of them were centurys).

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:Great Final, reminded me of that AO in 2015 Gould also lost 9-8.

Well done to Selby on winning another ranking event, I knew he would produce the goods this season and it's only the first tournament.

Going in to the World Championship Selbys confidence was fragile one thing went wrong or a player produced a fabulous performance against him like Gould did today and his game would fall to pieces.

His match with Noppon Saengkham was the turning point the way he made a century in the decider after Noppon levelled up with a 90, and then he pushed Ronnie hard it took something special from Ronnie and a bit of luck to put him away.

And this week his confidence wasn't fragile at all. Yea against Bingham he played bad at the start but last season Bingham would have beaten him in that match.

Postby TheRocket

Confidence or not but Selby usually plays his best Snooker when he gets to the later stages of tournaments. No matter what kind of form he is in prior to the tournament. Thats certainly one thing that has never changed in his career.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:Confidence or not but Selby usually plays his best Snooker when he gets to the later stages of tournaments. No matter what kind of form he is in prior to the tournament. Thats certainly one thing that has never changed in his career.

yea he does seem to be able to do that.

Most ranking finals without defeat was
Stephe Hendry 11 1993 European Open- 1997 International Open
Mark Selby 10 2016 International Ch- 2020 European Masters
Judd Trump 9 2018 NI Open- 2020 Gibralter Open
Steve Davis 8 1986 UK-1988 International Open
John Higgins 7 1998 British Open- 2000 UK
Neil Robertson 6 2006 GP- 2010 World Open
Mark Williams 6 1996 Welsh Open-1999 Thailand Masters
Ronnie O'Sullivan 6 1996 Asian Open-2000 Scottish Open

Postby TheRocket

Selby has won at least one ranker for 10 seasons in a row. Only Hendry above him apparently with 11. Even though it obviously helps there are more tournaments now.

Postby Iranu

What stands out there is how condensed Judd and Davis’s consecutive wins are. Judd’s was about 18 months, I guess? And I’m assuming the 1986 UK was at the end of the year like it is now so that would have been less than two years too?

Judd’s record is still going of course so he could conceivably break Hendry’s record within a two-year timespan (well, a few days over) if he wins the CL, EO and NI.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:

Well done to Selby on winning another ranking event, I knew he would produce the goods this season and it's only the first tournament.

Going in to the World Championship Selbys confidence was fragile one thing went wrong or a player produced a fabulous performance against him like Gould did today and his game would fall to pieces.

His match with Noppon Saengkham was the turning point the way he made a century in the decider after Noppon levelled up with a 90, and then he pushed Ronnie hard it took something special from Ronnie and a bit of luck to put him away.

And this week his confidence wasn't fragile at all. Yea against Bingham he played bad at the start but last season Bingham would have beaten him in that match.

His match v Noppon changed his confidence yes, and his defeat to Ronnie only got him more hungry for titles.

Working with Chris Henry is obviously helping.

Postby Andre147

Selby is so strong in ranking Finals that maybe only an inspired Ronnie or of course Trump may stop his streak.

Postby D4P

Andre147 wrote:Working with Chris Henry is obviously helping.

I would have to think that players would look at how much Steve Peters has seemingly helped Ronnie, and conclude that working with someone like that (on the mental side of the game) would help them, too.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:Selby is so strong in ranking Finals that maybe only an inspired Ronnie or of course Trump may stop his streak.

I’m not sure about that. If Selby had been playing somebody playing half-decent in the China Championship 2018 final (#bestfinalever) he would have lost handily.

He’s incredibly strong in finals but let’s not kid ourselves that only one or two players can beat him.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Selby is so strong in ranking Finals that maybe only an inspired Ronnie or of course Trump may stop his streak.

I’m not sure about that. If Selby had been playing somebody playing half-decent in the China Championship 2018 final (#bestfinalever) he would have lost handily.

He’s incredibly strong in finals but let’s not kid ourselves that only one or two players can beat him.

Yes you're quite right.

For.instance, that final you mentioned plus this one his opponents were only a frame away from beating him.

But the fact remains, 10 consecutive finals without a defeat is incredible.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wildey wrote:

Bingo bottled it.