Post a reply

REMEMBERING PAUL HUNTER

Postby Wildey

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/1 ... unter.html

I still vividly remember learning of the death of Paul Hunter.

It was a Monday night. I was at home. After the call came I phoned the Press Association. Three minutes later it was on Sky News.

After an hour or so of writing for various people I turned off my computer and the sheer awfulness of it hit me.

To lose any 27 year-old to cancer is shocking but to lose such a nice young man who loved life so much is doubly heartbreaking.

There was no malice in Paul. He was just a laidback lad with a great talent for snooker, a sport he helped to keep in the headlines through his three Masters victories and general popularity.

His name should be kept alive. He died four years ago tomorrow and, through the efforts of his various friends, he is still associated with snooker tournaments being played after his death.

One such event is the Paul Hunter English Open, which begins at the Northern Snooker Centre in Paul’s native Leeds on Monday.

There is also the annual Paul Hunter Classic in Germany, now part of the European Players Tour Championship, and the Paul Hunter Foundation, which provides opportunities for young people who otherwise have few.

The WPBSA scholarship in his name has been scrapped after three years, largely because the World Snooker Academy, where the scholars spent a year, is no longer a practice base.

The governing body should still commemorate his life and career in some way.

Indeed, the game’s wider heritage should be guarded with care because although it is right to look to the future, snooker should not forget the names of the past who have helped make it the television attraction it is today.

Re: REMEMBERING PAUL HUNTER

Postby sundaygirl

It was always a pleasure to watch Paul play. I was in the crowd for all four of his semi final matches at Wembly and there was always a lovely atmosphere even ardent fans of his opponents didn't seem to begrudge him winning and left with smiles on their faces.

Postby Wildey

yes no doubt about it Paul was a player you couldnt hate.

i know in death people will fondly remember him and never have a bad word to say but if you went back 10 years that was how it was in life as well

a special player and a special man that always brought a smile to the face of everyone no matter who you supported.

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:yes no doubt about it Paul was a player you couldnt hate..

I agree with you there wild. winning the mastes 3 times in a row like he did deciding frame. he was a role model alright.

Sadly missed

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:yes no doubt about it Paul was a player you couldnt hate..

I agree with you there wild. winning the mastes 3 times in a row like he did deciding frame. he was a role model alright.

Sadly missed

IT WASNT 3 TIMES IN A ROW HE WON IT <ok>

Postby Eirebilly

Paul was a young, good looking chap with personality in bucketloads. He was also an excellent snooker player. I remember watching him on superstars back in 04 and he was such a funny guy. He is sadly missed by all.

Postby Bourne

I watched one of those youtube tribute vids the other day and i'm not ashamed to say I shed a few tears.

Postby Tubberlad

Bourne wrote:I watched one of those youtube tribute vids the other day and i'm not ashamed to say I shed a few tears.

They're tough going

Postby Eirebilly

Those video's certainly bring a lump to my throat. Such a tragic thing to happen.

O and tubbs, i like the idea of naming the masters trophey after him <ok>