Post a reply

Referees as commentators

Postby chengdufan

In the last few years we've had more and more players invited into the commentary box.
I think it would be interesting to give some of the referees a chance. Their perspective could be quite interesting, and would surely offer something different.
So which refs would you most like to hear from? And who would you like them partnered with?

Re: Referees as commentators

Postby SnookerEd25

Retired referee Alan Chamberlain would be a good start.

Great suggestion, by the way, ChengduFan - I think some of them would have a lot to offer.

Postby HustleKing

It would be interesting indeed, but I would imagine many refs would decline to do it because they would be afraid of being accused of going either too easy or too hard on certain players.

Postby Iranu

Not so sure about commentator but definitely as a pundit at least.

Postby SnookerEd25

HustleKing wrote:It would be interesting indeed, but I would imagine many refs would decline to do it because they would be afraid of being accused of going either too easy or too hard on certain players.

That's why retired refereees should be considered, I feel.

Postby Andre147

I've done some commentary for my ES country and it was great experience. People asked me certain questions on Facebook, mainly about the rules and my experiences as a referee.

It's been a while since I've done, but the times I did it were great.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:I've done some commentary for my ES country and it was great experience. People asked me certain questions on Facebook, mainly about the rules and my experiences as a referee.

That's awesome. Who knew we had a commentator on our humble forum.

How would you feel about coming over to Blighty, doing some English commentary? :evilgrin:

Postby chengdufan

Andre147 wrote:I've done some commentary for my ES country and it was great experience. People asked me certain questions on Facebook, mainly about the rules and my experiences as a referee.

<ok> That's really cool Andre!
Which player did you most enjoy commentating on?

Postby Andre147

chengdufan wrote:

I enjoyed commentating a match between Neil Robertson v Marco Fu at the World Champs for instance, that was one I vividly remember because the spectators kept asking me questions and it was very interactive and satisfying for me personally.

I haven't done it too many times though, last time must have been about 2 years ago.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

I enjoyed commentating a match between Neil Robertson v Marco Fu at the World Champs for instance, that was one I vividly remember because the spectators kept asking me questions and it was very interactive and satisfying for me personally.

I haven't done it too many times though, last time must have been about 2 years ago.

Andre. :bowdown:

Postby Iranu

Andre will be reffing the World Final within 10 years.

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:Andre will be reffing the World Final within 10 years.

how long till he commentates on it?

Postby SnookerFan

HappyCamper wrote:

how long till he commentates on it?

Knowing the BBC, he'll be doing both at the same time.

Postby SnookerEd25

...and posting between frames, one hopes!

Postby Andre147

SnookerEd25 wrote:

...and posting between frames, one hopes!

Yes why not!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andre147 wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

That's brilliant. Nice one. :hatoff:

Postby SnookerEd25

John Williams (snooker referee) is still alive, and not in need of exhumation!

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:John Williams (snooker referee) is still alive, and not in need of exhumation!

Can we do it anyway?

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:John Williams (snooker referee) is still alive, and not in need of exhumation!

Can we do it anyway?

I wouldn't; he'll bite yer legs.