Post a reply

Sum Up A Player’s Career In One Match

Postby Iranu

So I’m watching the last three frames of the Ronnie-Selby semi final (I know we keep going on about it on here, sorry to those who don’t care) and I was thinking about how this one match kind of acts as a microcosm for Ronnie as a player throughout his career. You’ve got sublime breakbuilding, emotional outbursts, looking like he’s not prepared to fight, a quickfire burst of incredible frames to take the victory...

So I was wondering if any of you can think of any matches for any other players that can sum them up as a player?

Re: Sum Up A Player’s Career In One Match

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:Does it have to be a match that a player won?

Nope.

For example I was also thinking of Jimmy, and I’m sure you can guess which matches spring to mind... <laugh>

Postby Dragonfly

Thorne UK final. I can't remember the year. 85 or 86. It's symbolic in the sense that it mirrors the player. So much talent and promise but just not quite reaching the top level.

I'm thinking the 1990 world final also. The shape of things to come for a long time. For both contestants really.

Postby Andre147

Reardon, 1975 World Championsip Final.

Reardon won it 37-36 (or something like that), but what strikes me was he was playing in Charlton's home country, all the crowd against him, they even had rigged the table to favour Charlton and they changed the order of play for the matches prior to the Final to favour Charlton.

Reardon, the true champion he was, wasn't phased by this, and duly won the title in a decider when everything was against him.

Postby Andre147

Maguire, 2007 World Champs Semi-Final

Could easily have chosen the 2005 World Champs first round for the same reasons, but in 2007 he had an even bigger lead, 14-10, but still lost.

So much talent, he could have won a lot more if he kept more patient and didn't let emotions get to him so much.

Postby Cloud Strife

Old Judd: 10-8 loss versus Rory in the first round of the 2017 World Championship.

New Judd: 18-9 victory over Higgins in the final of the 2019 World Championship.

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:Reardon, 1975 World Championsip Final.

Reardon won it 37-36 (or something like that), but what strikes me was he was playing in Charlton's home country, all the crowd against him, they even had rigged the table to favour Charlton and they changed the order of play for the matches prior to the Final to favour Charlton.

Reardon, the true champion he was, wasn't phased by this, and duly won the title in a decider when everything was against him.

They rigged the table?

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:

They rigged the table?

I believe (amongst other things) it had a 'dead' bottom cushion, so Eddie's continual runs to baulk would leave Ray tight to the cushion. Reardon, as an attacking player, wouldn't have had as much cause to use that ploy as Eddie who liked to rack up his points in 20-30 bursts and then run safe

Postby Dan-cat

Selby vs Ronnie in that Masters final 2010 where Selby came back from 9-6 down and won. The master of battling and brinkmanship. He just doesn't know when he's beat.

...and conveniently symetrical, Ronnie slamming Selby 10 - 4 in the Masters in 2016, on legend mode. Proof if ever there was for that famous Hendry quote 'if Ronnie plays his A game, he wins'

Great thread.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

They rigged the table?

I believe (amongst other things) it had a 'dead' bottom cushion, so Eddie's continual runs to baulk would leave Ray tight to the cushion. Reardon, as an attacking player, wouldn't have had as much cause to use that ploy as Eddie who liked to rack up his points in 20-30 bursts and then run safe

https://www.snookerisland.com/blog/stev ... interview/

On this very site, in the Blog section; scroll down to between the colour picture of Steve, and the pic of Reardon with his hands up and you can read about some of the gamesmanship steady Eddie employed. Alterntively, you can watch the episode in full on the Matchroom site (and a few others that are well worth a watch, including the Willie Thorne one where he speaks about his 'troubles' with searing honesty)

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerEd25 wrote:

This is an ace story. I'm amazed it's the first I've heard of it.

Postby rekoons

SnookerEd25 wrote:
https://www.snookerisland.com/blog/stev ... interview/

On this very site, in the Blog section; scroll down to between the colour picture of Steve, and the pic of Reardon with his hands up and you can read about some of the gamesmanship steady Eddie employed. Alterntively, you can watch the episode in full on the Matchroom site (and a few others that are well worth a watch, including the Willie Thorne one where he speaks about his 'troubles' with searing honesty)

Just read the whole interview, a must read for any snooker fan <ok>

Postby Georgi1914

Dan-cat wrote:Selby vs Ronnie in that Masters final 2010 where Selby came back from 9-6 down and won. The master of battling and brinkmanship. He just doesn't know when he's beat.

...and conveniently symetrical, Ronnie slamming Selby 10 - 4 in the Masters in 2016, on legend mode. Proof if ever there was for that famous Hendry quote 'if Ronnie plays his A game, he wins'

Great thread.

Perhaps you meant 2014? In 2016 Ronnie beat him 6:3 in an earlier round and the clearance in the last frame was legendary as well. :)

Postby Dan-cat

Georgi1914 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Selby vs Ronnie in that Masters final 2010 where Selby came back from 9-6 down and won. The master of battling and brinkmanship. He just doesn't know when he's beat.

Great thread.

Perhaps you meant 2014? In 2016 Ronnie beat him 6:3 in an earlier round and the clearance in the last frame was legendary as well. :)

I did mean 2014. duh.

...and yes, I was at that match in 2016. Selby made a 70, and the Ronnie dished up!

Postby Georgi1914

Dan-cat wrote:
Georgi1914 wrote:

Great thread.

I did mean 2014. duh.

...and yes, I was at that match in 2016. Selby made a 70, and the Ronnie dished up!

That's great that you were there! I hope I will attend a big match of O'Sullivan before he retires, too. Never been to England before.