Post a reply

Semi-Final One

Poll ended at 18 Sep 2020

Stephen Hendry 18-17 Jimmy White, 1994 World Championship (4)
67%
Stephen Hendry 16-15 Steve Davis, 1990 UK Championship (8)
33%

Total votes : 15

Re: Pink Ball's top matches: semi-final, match one

Postby HustleKing

So the 1985 final has finally been majority defeated in one of these polls/questions.

I expect the BBC to have been following this issue and to be preparing to up their game with the 1985 brainwashing in the next few years

Postby Johnny Bravo

HustleKing wrote:So the 1985 final has finally been majority defeated in one of these polls/questions.

I expect the BBC to have been following this issue and to be preparing to up their game with the 1985 brainwashing in the next few years

The standard was very poor in that final.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Johnny Bravo wrote:The standard was very poor in that final.

In terms of overall quality, it wasn't one of the best Crucible finals, although you have to excuse a few mistakes when the pressure at its most severe in the last 2 or 3 frames. I think one of the reasons it wasn't such high standard was down to the game plan of Davis. He refused to take any risks and just tried to wear Taylor down with long bouts of safety. Invariably, when that happens, the balls go awkward and frames tend to be fragmented. Having said all that, Taylor still managed 13 breaks of between 50 and 98.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:SEMI FINAL ONE (72 HOURS TO VOTE):

Stephen Hendry 18-17 Jimmy White, 1994 World Championship (4)

VERSUS

Stephen Hendry 16-15 Steve Davis, 1990 UK Championship (8)

Dominic Dale vs Leo Fernandez.

Championship League 2020.

Postby Muller

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:The standard was very poor in that final.

In terms of overall quality, it wasn't one of the best Crucible finals, although you have to excuse a few mistakes when the pressure at its most severe in the last 2 or 3 frames. I think one of the reasons it wasn't such high standard was down to the game plan of Davis. He refused to take any risks and just tried to wear Taylor down with long bouts of safety. Invariably, when that happens, the balls go awkward and frames tend to be fragmented. Having said all that, Taylor still managed 13 breaks of between 50 and 98.

I did watch it all on YT during lockdown and the standard was actually pretty good. There was a lot of safety but relatively few easy balls were missed. Taylor's form from 0-7 was good.

Agree re Davis' tactics.