Post a reply

Semi-Final Two

Poll ended at 18 Sep 2020

Ronnie O'Sullivan 17-16 Mark Selby, World Championship 2020 (2)
63%
Alex Higgins 16-15 Jimmy White, 1982 World Championship (3)
38%

Total votes : 16

Re: Pink Ball's top matches: semi-final, match two

Postby TheRocket

Two very similar matches. On both occasions the winner produced some magic towards the end and came back from the brink of defeat. And both went on to win the final.

I'd say this is the third greatest match vs the fourth greatest match of all time. After Davis-Taylor 1985 and Hendry-White 1994.

Its a very close call but I voted O'Sullivan-Selby because it was played over a longer distance. Bo33 vs bo31.

Postby Holden Chinaski

These are two of my all-time favourite matches. Had to go with the Ronnie match in the end. I love matches like this, with heroic and exciting endings. Very Hollywood. If the Rocky movies would be about snooker instead of boxing, they would have matches just like these two.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:These are two of my all-time favourite matches. Had to go with the Ronnie match in the end. I love matches like this, with heroic and exciting endings. Very Hollywood. If the Rocky movies would be about snooker instead of boxing, they would have matches just like these two.

#boxingcomparison #ban

Just kidding. I've often thought that a Rocky-style movie about snooker would actually be worth a watch. You could certainly make a montage to music of a heroic comeback from several frames down, or having a young unknown winning The Crucible. Yes, it's not massively realistic, but Rocky was nothing like actual boxing either.

I guess there's not the demand for a film like this, but if they did make one I'd love to watch it.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:These are two of my all-time favourite matches. Had to go with the Ronnie match in the end. I love matches like this, with heroic and exciting endings. Very Hollywood. If the Rocky movies would be about snooker instead of boxing, they would have matches just like these two.

#boxingcomparison #ban

Just kidding. I've often thought that a Rocky-style movie about snooker would actually be worth a watch. You could certainly make a montage to music of a heroic comeback from several frames down, or having a young unknown winning The Crucible. Yes, it's not massively realistic, but Rocky was nothing like actual boxing either.

I guess there's not the demand for a film like this, but if they did make one I'd love to watch it.

Have you seen The Rack Pack? Haven't seen it yet myself.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:#boxingcomparison #ban

Have you seen The Rack Pack? Haven't seen it yet myself.[/quote]

Yes, it's very good.

And I am getting that new Break, or whatever it's called, for my birthday. The one with Rutger Hauer in.

The Rack Pack is more about Alex Higgins and Steve Davis. (And the 1980s snooker boom in general.) Not really a fictionalised, over sensational move like Rocky. But is very worth a watch, in my opinion.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
The Rack Pack is more about Alex Higgins and Steve Davis. (And the 1980s snooker boom in general.) Not really a fictionalised, over sensational move like Rocky. But is very worth a watch, in my opinion.

I have to check it out. I'm sure I'll love it.

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:I've voted Alex vs Jimmy, just because I didn't think anybody else would.

My father-in-law claims to have voted for Donald Trump in 2016 because he was worried that Donald wouldn't get very many votes and he didn't want Donald to feel bad...