Post a reply

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby mantorok

That look, says it all really, just as ROS pots the yellow thus clinching the match:

That's all for me on this rubbish, I enjoyed watching that semi from the start again, very good match.

Postby Dan-cat

I've watched it three times, and the final twice. Over the weekend I Re-watched the Teppy Lad match - Ronnie played a lot better than I remember! Despite not being put under pressure, his scoring was outstanding. The signs were there.

Now gonna watch the Ding match from Round 2

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:Do you have to make appointments to go to the barber now? Is that a Covid thing? What do you do, ring them up?

My barber shop (which has turned into a salon) didn't use to accept walk-ins because they were always too busy, so I'm got in the habit of making appointments.

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:I've watched it three times, and the final twice. Over the weekend I Re-watched the Teppy Lad match - Ronnie played a lot better than I remember! Despite not being put under pressure, his scoring was outstanding. The signs were there.

Now gonna watch the Ding match from Round 2

Ronnie made that Thepps match look very easy, but his opponent was actually the highest ranked qualifier wasn't he?

We all saw how he very nearly dumped Trump out first round last year.

Ronnie played superb, and even if Thepps had played better the score would still be one sided, probably 10-3 or 10-4.

I rewatched the MJW match and from 7-2 and especually 8-4 down Ronnie was very good, showed all his battling qualities. He showed his battling qualities 3 matches in a row, v Ding, against MJW and of course against Selby.

One of his best WC wins, especially the opposition he faced.

Postby shanew48

Iv'e never heard anyone ask him about "THAT PINK" in the final frame of the 3rd session which if he has potted would have given him a 12-11 lead going into the 4th and final evening session

He played it like he thought he needed the black? but didn't actually get on the black anyway, I honestly think even with all the pressure involved just needing to drop the pink in dead weight, most of us would be able to pot that pink?

I guess his mind was most probably just scrambled from all of the gamesmanship he has to endure in those 3 sessions leading up to that pink? you don't hear it spoken about it the way way as the Thorne missed blue but in a way it was a worse miss when you think that you don't need the black so no need to play it with any pace which makes it unmissable?

Here is the link to it anyway, maybe I'm being unfair in saying that it was an unmissable shot for any professional and almost all able bodied amateurs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG2S8eN ... ooker4Free

Postby SnookerFan

To be honest, I suspect that whole pink thing is only really mentioned on this site. I don't remember hearing anything much said about it anywhere else.

I think we make a bigger deal of it than it was. Ronnie was a 5 time World Champion who missed a routine ball, in a frame that wasn't a decider.

Yes, I get that he could've had a three frame lead rather than just a one-frame lead, and it was a big miss. But the way people go on about it you'd think Ronnie had never won The World Championship and that pink was all that he needed to seal his only ever Crucible win.

Not a 5-time at the time, and 6-time now, World Champion who missed a ball in a non-deciding frame.

At least with the Black Ball we keep hearing about from 1985, it was 17-17 and gave one player his only ever Crucible trophy.

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote: Ronnie was a 5 time World Champion who missed a routine ball, in a frame that wasn't a decider.

It wasn't just that he missed: it was that he missed while playing the shot in a way that was completely unnecessary and that greatly increased the chance of missing. Why did he play it that way...?

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote: Ronnie was a 5 time World Champion who missed a routine ball, in a frame that wasn't a decider.

It wasn't just that he missed: it was that he missed while playing the shot in a way that was completely unnecessary and that greatly increased the chance of missing. Why did he play it that way...?

Because he's a tit?

Postby Iranu

I’m not sure dead weight would have been the play to play it, as that sort of pace makes it more likely that you’ll decelerate and miss. Deadweight would have been the way to go if it was along a cushion or something. Plus I’m sure Ronnie’s said he prefers to punch balls in than roll them in so it makes sense he’d play it the way he felt more comfortable. The problem was playing for the black as Shane says.

Postby shanew48

Iranu wrote:I’m not sure dead weight would have been the play to play it, as that sort of pace makes it more likely that you’ll decelerate and miss. Deadweight would have been the way to go if it was along a cushion or something. Plus I’m sure Ronnie’s said he prefers to punch balls in than roll them in so it makes sense he’d play it the way he felt more comfortable. The problem was playing for the black as Shane says.

I accept that the phase dead weight was the wrong choice of phase, I meant more the pace where he would leave the white not far away from where the pink was, so not playing any position, he must have thought that he needed the black that's the only explanation that I can think of, his brain was probably all over the place.

I am surprised that someone like Goldstein hasn't brought it up at some point in the sense that he could get away with bringing it up out of anyone i would say, really would be interesting to know if he thought he did need the black or not.

Postby Andre147

Missed black off its spot at 10-5 up was far more important miss. He had all the momentum and should have led that session 11-6 or 12-5.

Missed pink didn't change much, Selby had done all the damage in the painful 3rd session and would still win the match regardless.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ronnie lost that 2014 match because he let Selby get in his head. There's no point in discussing how he should have played this or that shot.. The problem was in his head, he let Selby grind him down.

He refused to let Selby grind him down this time. He played his own game this time and now it was him who got in Selby's head. And look what happened, Ronnie potted every single pressure pot when the time was there. It's crazy how many pressure shots Ronnie potted in those last 3 frames. So much bottle, just because his head was in the right place. Cool as a cucumber, potting everything in sight. Because he played HIS game, not Selby's game. Selby had a chance to win in the last frame, but he wasn't able to play a good positional shot to free the last red. Ronnie would have definitely played that shot right if it was him. The momentum was with Ronnie this time.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Andre147 wrote:Missed black off its spot at 10-5 up was far more important miss. He had all the momentum and should have led that session 11-6 or 12-5.

Missed pink didn't change much, Selby had done all the damage in the painful 3rd session and would still win the match regardless.

Disagree. yeah he missed a big chance to lead bigger than 10-7 but the last frame of a close session can be a momentum changer just Selby proved it by winning the last two frames in the first session. Ronnie was on his way to win 2 frames in a row after losing 6 frames in a row. Would have felt like the momentum is back to Ronnie

Just like this year, losing the last two frames of the 3rd session hurt Selby big time.

Postby Johnny Bravo

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Missed black off its spot at 10-5 up was far more important miss. He had all the momentum and should have led that session 11-6 or 12-5.

Disagree. yeah he missed a big chance to lead bigger than 10-7 but the last frame of a close session can be a momentum changer just Selby proved it by winning the last two frames in the first session. Ronnie was on his way to win 2 frames in a row after losing 6 frames in a row. Would have felt like the momentum is back to Ronnie

Just like this year, losing the last two frames of the 3rd session hurt Selby big time.

True, but if Ronnie would have have come out with an 11-6 rather than 10-7, he'd have had a 5 frame advantage, therefore he could have afforded to loose the following session 6-2 and still would have come out with a 13-12 lead.

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:Missed pink didn't change much, Selby had done all the damage in the painful 3rd session and would still win the match regardless.

Was about to say the exact same thing, it would not have made any difference to the outcome.

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

His fans are still hurting more like. He's probably forgotten about it. And yet, here we are, bellyaching about it, even though he just won his 6th.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

His fans are still hurting more like. He's probably forgotten about it. And yet, here we are, bellyaching about it, even though he just won his 6th.

Beating Selby the way he did was the best possible way to forget about it.

Postby Dragonfly

Regarding O'Sullivan's dreadful miss on that pink. And it was a shocker. But at least it's not a career defining miss like the Thorne blue or the White black.

People won't look back in years to come and say remember he missed a sitter. He already had won plenty before and plenty since. I don't think that pink changed the match outcome. Selby was already inside his head and was driving him up the wallsun.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:

I'd be surprised if Ronnie cared about it that much even before.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

He did.

Maybe not the pink itself but of course losing the actual Final. He said in an interview if there was one match in his career he would like to play again, was this one. And his approach to the match would have been different, especially 3rd and 4th sessions.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Why?

Do you think Hendry didn’t care about 1997?

I’m sure he got over it better than many of his fans but any player with a winning mentality would be distraught to lose in a world final, with the possible exceptions of instances like Higgins last year.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Why?

Do you think Hendry didn’t care about 1997?

I’m sure he got over it better than many of his fans but any player with a winning mentality would be distraught to lose in a world final, with the possible exceptions of instances like Higgins last year.

I'm sure he cared when it happened. But like you say, he'll have gotten over it by now.

I do wonder if he put as much meaning onto that pink as people do on this forum do.

I also wonder if Ronnie's mindset is the same as Hendry's. I'm not going to start another Ronnie vs Hendry debate on here, partly because it's dull and partly because Ronnie's already done enough to convince me he's the greatest of all time. But their mindset strikes me as different to each other. Ronnie tends to fall in and out of love with the game. Hendry in his prime wanted to win everything. Ronnie has taken most of a season off, walked out of a match once because he wasn't feeling it etc. Strikes me as somebody who isn't agonising about one loss more than six years ago, in the same way that Hendry probably would have.