Post a reply

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby NNear

NNear wrote:Unfortunate for Ronnie but what an outstanding result for him last night in the final of the 2014 UK Championship!!!!!

A great response from Ronnie and maybe there's more in the tank.

It's good to see that he's still winning Major titles. I doubt he'll reach Hendry's 18 or 7 WC titles, though.

Postby TheRocket

vodkadiet wrote:GreenRiver

I don't blame O'Sullivan for saying what he did. He hurts him to lose to Selby and it has affected him greatly. When he goes for a run, when he goes to bed, when he goes for a drive, he is forever thinking about the number 6. He sees a number 6 bus going down the road and he loses concentration for a minute. The sees a clock in Chigwell town centre chiming for 5 o'clock, and he thinks, 'if only that clock could have chimed one extra time'. He has images of Selby's winning fist pump going through his mind on a daily basis. It hurts him, and it a form of release to attack Selby's style of play. It is therapy for him.

Selby has done O'Sullivan twice at The Crucible after O'Sullivan has thrown away massive leads and it won't be until O'Sullivan has finally beaten Selby on snooker's biggest stage that he will be able to fully look forward rather than backwards, Therefore, we should cut O'Sullivan some slack here and understand his mental torment.

Selby beating O'Sullivan in the World final and stopping O'Sullivan from winning the sixth World title is hugely annoying for O'Sullivan,as everbody thought, he makes it 6 now.

But you know as well, that O'Sullivan beat Selby in 2 Mastersfinals and two times at the UK as well(Selby hasn't beaten him at the UK so far) with O'Sullivan leading the H2H overall.

Selby can't stand O'Sullivan either, the difference is just that O'Sullivan is rather the person , who makes it public and doesn't hide his feelings, while Selby keeps it for himself.

O'Sullivan and Selby were and never will be friends, that was already the reality long before the World final.
And it's allright how it is. Rivalries are good and little digs at each other is fine as well. That's what you want in professional Sport.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

vodkadiet wrote:GreenRiver

I don't blame O'Sullivan for saying what he did. He hurts him to lose to Selby and it has affected him greatly. When he goes for a run, when he goes to bed, when he goes for a drive, he is forever thinking about the number 6. He sees a number 6 bus going down the road and he loses concentration for a minute. The sees a clock in Chigwell town centre chiming for 5 o'clock, and he thinks, 'if only that clock could have chimed one extra time'. He has images of Selby's winning fist pump going through his mind on a daily basis. It hurts him, and it a form of release to attack Selby's style of play. It is therapy for him.

Selby has done O'Sullivan twice at The Crucible after O'Sullivan has thrown away massive leads and it won't be until O'Sullivan has finally beaten Selby on snooker's biggest stage that he will be able to fully look forward rather than backwards, Therefore, we should cut O'Sullivan some slack here and understand his mental torment.

<laugh>

Postby GreenRiver

I agree that rivalries are a good thing and I wouldn't even have a problem with a bit of trash talking BEFORE the match. It could actually be quite funny and add a bit of spice to see snooker players bragging about how they are going to destroy their opponent and predicting how quickly they will win a la Muhammad Ali. However, I believe that, once the match is over, the loser should be gracious in defeat.

I accept the point that it must have hurt Ronnie to lose against Selby, but when other snooker players lose matches it must hurt them too yet they don't (for the most part) have a go at the person who has beaten them afterwards and try to tarnish their win. I believe, when all is said and done, you have to find it within yourself to congratulate the winner on his victory no matter how disappointed you might be or how hard done by you might feel. Just my opinion of course. I don't want to be too hard on Ronnie. I do like him and was hoping he would beat Selby and I usually find his outspokenness very refreshing. I just think it would have been better if he had stuck to congratulating Mark on his victory on this occasion and left it at that.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
Yes, because it means Sourface's record is probably now out of reach.

Still think this way?

Surely Ronnie is favourite for The Crucible this year? Meaning Ronnie would only need one more to tie the record.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Still think this way?

Surely Ronnie is favourite for The Crucible this year? Meaning Ronnie would only need one more to tie the record.

I can see Ronnie breaking Hendry's record now. If he had beaten Selby it would have been a formality though

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Still think this way?

I can see Ronnie breaking Hendry's record now. If he had beaten Selby it would have been a formality though

You should discuss all this here viewtopic.php?f=553&t=5087 :wave:

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:I Honestly cant see him potting Selby off the table because when Selbys on form Ronnie wont see many pots to go for. Playing Selby he has to be extremely patience and bide his time and compete with safeties.

Selby's Safety play in that final was immaculate at times and now as World Champion his confidence will be right up there aswell.

Took six years but he did it.

Postby Holden Chinaski

mantorok wrote:
Wildey wrote:I Honestly cant see him potting Selby off the table because when Selbys on form Ronnie wont see many pots to go for. Playing Selby he has to be extremely patience and bide his time and compete with safeties.

Selby's Safety play in that final was immaculate at times and now as World Champion his confidence will be right up there aswell.

Took six years but he did it.

Aye, Wild was completely wrong there. Ronnie didn't have to compete with the safeties. Just play his attacking game and outscore Selby, as he did.

Postby TheRocket

Selby is vulnerable to agressive play and powerscoring. Trump has been proving that all the time.
It upsets Selby rhytm and gets him out of the comfort zone. He rather wants his opponents to play roll up shots and containing safeties.

And thats what ROS did in the 2014 World Championship final. He played the way Selby wanted him to play and it backfired. He tried to change that in this semi-final and the one session where he went full attack (last session) it worked. He won and even recovered from a deficite.

The recent events + Trumps record against Selby makes me think that the agressive and younger version of ROS (like the 2001 version) would destroy Selby almost everytime.

Postby HustleKing

mantorok wrote:It’s no coincidence that the greatest player of all time just happens to be an attacking player.

Well yes, that is about as obvious a fact as you can get <cool>

Postby D4P

mantorok wrote:I just started watching the semi from the start, I missed the 3rd session, looking forward to it.

I have a haircut appointment today. My last haircut appointment was on the day of the 4th session, and I had to start walking to the appointment when Ronnie led 64-34 in the decider, with 35 points still on the table. I'll never forget the exact location I had reached along the (5-minute) route and the feeling I had when I refreshed Live Scores on my phone to see that Ronnie had potted the final red...

Postby SnookerFan

D4P wrote:
mantorok wrote:I just started watching the semi from the start, I missed the 3rd session, looking forward to it.

I have a haircut appointment today. My last haircut appointment was on the day of the 4th session, and I had to start walking to the appointment when Ronnie led 64-34 in the decider, with 35 points still on the table. I'll never forget the exact location I had reached along the (5-minute) route and the feeling I had when I refreshed Live Scores on my phone to see that Ronnie had potted the final red...

Do you have to make appointments to go to the barber now? Is that a Covid thing? What do you do, ring them up?

I've been home-doing it at the moment.

Postby mantorok

Holden Chinaski wrote:

Watching that semi gives me a semi.

It's not giving me a semi right now, Ronnie sat in his chair while Mark is at the table with a chance to go 13-9 up. Ronnie looks despondent, he can't get going, this is slipping through his fingers.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

It's not giving me a semi right now, Ronnie sat in his chair while Mark is at the table with a chance to go 13-9 up. Ronnie looks despondent, he can't get going, this is slipping through his fingers.

buck sake.

You still worried that Ronnie won't win it? rofl

Postby mantorok

SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

buck sake.

You're not quite bonding with this type of humour, are you? ;-)

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

buck sake.

You're not quite bonding with this type of humour, are you? ;-)

Well, I'm not getting a boner every time I see Ronnie, if that's what you mean.

Postby mantorok

mantorok wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Frame 23, definitely the highlight so far, important frame, both missing some crazy balls, I can see why it was causing a lot of meltdowns on here.