Post a reply

Quarter-Final Four

Poll ended at 14 Sep 2020

Ronnie O'Sullivan 17-16 Mark Selby, World Championship 2020 (2)
68%
Peter Ebdon 18-17 Stephen Hendry, World Championship 2002 (10)
32%

Total votes : 19

Re: Pink Ball's top matches: quarter-final, match four

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:I think he would have been on 8 if he had won in 2014. I do believe that.

I think most Ronniefans had been waiting for revenge since 2014, and,boy, its really happened. And then in the best possible way. A comeback,deciding frame, match being decided on a safety battle.
It hurt Selby big time as it was seen in the post match interview.

As a Ronniefan this is the greatest match of all time but as a Snookerfan I'd say its on third position. After Davis-Taylor 1985 and Hendry-White 1994.

Davis-Taylor was a garbage match.

Man that fart Taylor is a complete idiot and so annoying, I just pray they fuckin' get rid of him. :td:

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:I have never doubted Ronnie would get at least 6 World Titles. I've been saying this for years and I have the posts to prove it. I have also always believed he might get 7 or 8 and I still believe there's a good chance he will.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I think he would have been on 8 if he had won in 2014. I do believe that.

I think most Ronniefans had been waiting for revenge since 2014, and,boy, its really happened. And then in the best possible way. A comeback,deciding frame, match being decided on a safety battle.
It hurt Selby big time as it was seen in the post match interview.

As a Ronniefan this is the greatest match of all time but as a Snookerfan I'd say its on third position. After Davis-Taylor 1985 and Hendry-White 1994.

Davis-Taylor was a garbage match.

Man that fart Taylor is a complete idiot and so annoying, I just pray they fuckin' get rid of him. :td:

To be honest, the Selby-O'Sullivan match was a massive letdown for most of it. More so than Taylor-Davis.

Doesn't matter. The endings of both ensured that they are, in my opinion, the two greatest matches ever played. I can't remember much about the quality of Higgins-White in 1982, but regardless, it too is one of the top three matches ever. All three matches have magic moments and spells that put them ahead of the rest of the pack.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Here's a post I made on 25 may 2014, in a thread called "Ronnie still hurt by losing WC final". In this thread, many people were saying Ronnie will probably never win the World Championship again.

This is what I had to say about it 6 years ago:

Holden Chinaski wrote:Of course Ronnie will bounce back. People are making a very big deal of this. He lost a final. It happens. So he didn't perform at the worlds, no big deal. He's had a great season, winning the CoC, Masters and Welsh in great style.

If Ronnie keeps playing like he has done these last couple of years, and he keeps himself motivated and keeps practising, I see no reason why he couldn't break Hendry's record of 7 world titles.

Ronnie is right, he needs to keep playing his attacking style of snooker. When he has an off day he might lose. But when he's in form he will blow everyone, including Selby, off the table. Like Alex Higgins, Ronnie has a passion for a certain type of snooker. Just like Alex did, Ronnie feels snooker should be played with panache! I'm glad he still feels that way. This doesn't mean they don't believe in playing safe, in fact, Alex was a brilliant safety player and so is Ronnie, it's just about putting yourself on the line and wanting to play a game that is great to watch and is exciting. Like I said, panache.
Ronnie played his B game throughout this world championship and he still got to the final. That's how easy it is for him. There is no other player who can destroy top 16 players and make it look so easy like Ronnie did in this year's Masters and Welsh. At 38 years of age he still goes for the long pots and still wants to open up the balls and play an attacking game against young guys like Robbo and Ding who can pot long pots like it's nothing and can clear the table in two minutes. It takes guts to play like Ronnie does!