Post a reply

Quarter-Final Four

Poll ended at 14 Sep 2020

Ronnie O'Sullivan 17-16 Mark Selby, World Championship 2020 (2)
68%
Peter Ebdon 18-17 Stephen Hendry, World Championship 2002 (10)
32%

Total votes : 19

Re: Pink Ball's top matches: quarter-final, match four

Postby Pink Ball

Probably the easiest call of the four for me. Ebdon-Hendry was a fantastic match, but it's the only pairing from outside the top eight to make it this far, and it's up against the second-best match of all-time, and the match that's freshest in everyone's mind. O'Sullivan-Selby should win this handily enough.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:I regard O'Sullivan-Selby as one of the biggest legacy matches in Snooker history. Which has had a huge impact not only on both mens career but also on the All-Time Great/Greatest ever players list.

This is a good point actually. Neither Ebdon nor Hendry’s legacies would be hugely changed by the result going the other way (particularly Hendry’s) whereas Selby-Ronnie was effectively a “two world title swing” in terms of their relative records.

Postby TheRocket

Exactly.

If Selby had won this match he would sit on 4 World titles now, same as Higgins and one behind Ronnie. With a real chance to tie or even surpass Ronnies world title haul in the future. Selby could and probably would have reached incredible heights.

But as it is, Ronnie now put distance between him and Selby. And Higgins for that matter, his two biggest rivals. And now everyone talks about him going after Hendrys record again.

Postby Andre147

It was a legacy match sure, I fully agree 100%.

But some of you now seem to think it's impossible for Selby to reach 5 world titles and go above Higgins?

Selby's game is taylor made for that tournament and therefore I.wouldnt be surprised if he ended his career with more titles than Higgins.

But if you're saying it's unlikely he can catch Ronnie now, then yes maybe that's correct.

Postby Iranu

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Selby end up on 5 WCs. But it’s 10x harder now that he’s missed an opportunity for a slam-dunk final, and who knows how the result will affect him going forward. It could spur him on to greater success (my prediction) or it could effectively finish him. And yeah I think 3 more world titles is too much to ask from here on out.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:This one is easy. Ronnie v Selby was one of the greatest moments in human history. The last 3 frames were better than getting a blowjob.

Yeah. That time they discovered penicillin has got nothing on a snooker player winning three frames.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:This one is easy. Ronnie v Selby was one of the greatest moments in human history. The last 3 frames were better than getting a blowjob.

Yeah. That time they discovered penicillin has got nothing on a snooker player winning three frames.

I know, right? What a match.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Selby end up on 5 WCs. But it’s 10x harder now that he’s missed an opportunity for a slam-dunk final, and who knows how the result will affect him going forward. It could spur him on to greater success (my prediction) or it could effectively finish him. And yeah I think 3 more world titles is too much to ask from here on out.

It's definitely harder now. Just as it was for Ronnie when he lost to Selbo in 2014. Had he won that final, I reckon he would have at least tied Hendry by now.

Postby Andre147

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Selby end up on 5 WCs. But it’s 10x harder now that he’s missed an opportunity for a slam-dunk final, and who knows how the result will affect him going forward. It could spur him on to greater success (my prediction) or it could effectively finish him. And yeah I think 3 more world titles is too much to ask from here on out.

It's definitely harder now. Just as it was for Ronnie when he lost to Selbo in 2014. Had he won that final, I reckon he would have at least tied Hendry by now.

Well if he'd won in 2014 and having won this year, wouldn't he be on 7?

Question is had he won he 2014, I think he would reach 7 titles before 2020.

Postby TheRocket

I think he would have been on 8 if he had won in 2014. I do believe that.

I think most Ronniefans had been waiting for revenge since 2014, and,boy, its really happened. And then in the best possible way. A comeback,deciding frame, match being decided on a safety battle.
It hurt Selby big time as it was seen in the post match interview.

As a Ronniefan this is the greatest match of all time but as a Snookerfan I'd say its on third position. After Davis-Taylor 1985 and Hendry-White 1994.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I have never doubted Ronnie would get at least 6 World Titles. I've been saying this for years and I have the posts to prove it. I have also always believed he might get 7 or 8 and I still believe there's a good chance he will.

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:I have never doubted Ronnie would get at least 6 World Titles. I've been saying this for years and I have the posts to prove it. I have also always believed he might get 7 or 8 and I still believe there's a good chance he will.

That's the spirit Holden!

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:I have never doubted Ronnie would get at least 6 World Titles. I've been saying this for years and I have the posts to prove it. I have also always believed he might get 7 or 8 and I still believe there's a good chance he will.

You have tons of posts to prove it no doubt.

I had doubts, but I always believed a 6th would be his final world title and if it is then I'm more than happy with it.

Obviously would be nice if he could tie Hendry on 7.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andre147 wrote:

You have tons of posts to prove it no doubt.

I had doubts, but I always believed a 6th would be his final world title and if it is then I'm more than happy with it.

Obviously would be nice if he could tie Hendry on 7.

If he plays on until he's fifty, which I think he will, I think there's a very good chance he will win one more.

I also think he has found a new way to be comfortable at the Crucible. I really think something clicked this year. The way he beat Selby, I think this will stay with him for some time. He has found a way to not get bogged down, to play his own game.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:

That's the spirit Holden!

:hatoff:

Postby D4P

Holden Chinaski wrote:I also think he has found a new way to be comfortable at the Crucible. I really think something clicked this year.

The main thing that clicked for Ronnie was that there were no fans at the matches putting extra pressure on him to win or around the venue asking him for selfies and such.

Postby Dan-cat

D4P wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I also think he has found a new way to be comfortable at the Crucible. I really think something clicked this year.

The main thing that clicked for Ronnie was that there were no fans at the matches putting extra pressure on him to win or around the venue asking him for selfies and such.

Yeah. Maybe he'll find a way to self-isolate a bit next year, avoid the fans.

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:
D4P wrote:

Yeah. Maybe he'll find a way to self-isolate a bit next year, avoid the fans.

He won it 5 times with fans there, no reason why he suddenly can't handle it anymore.

I do agree as he gets older he may find it tougher to please his fans.

Postby D4P

SnookerFan wrote:He'll never please MDG.

To be fair, it's hard enough to be please any one of a master, doctor, or genius, so you can imagine how much more difficult it would be to please someone who is a master, doctor, and genius all in one...

Postby TheRocket

There will be a lot of pressure on him at the WC next year and the years after that. Even more than normal for obvious reasons. He will be asked after every match what it would feel like to tie Hendrys record. Needs to blank that out when he plays. And if he could get to 7 , the run for number 8 would be even bigger. The hype would be massive.

Postby Dan-cat

D4P wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:He'll never please MDG.

To be fair, it's hard enough to be please any one of a master, doctor, or genius, so you can imagine how much more difficult it would be to please someone who is a master, doctor, and genius all in one...

StudentNurseNumpty.

Postby D4P

TheRocket wrote:He will be asked after every match what it would feel like to tie Hendrys record.

He'll have to come up with a new deflection shtick to this season, unless he wants to use an old one (e.g. robot voice, Aussie Ronnie, or Cue Action Man).

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:There will be a lot of pressure on him at the WC next year and the years after that. Even more than normal for obvious reasons. He will be asked after every match what it would feel like to tie Hendrys record. Needs to blank that out when he plays. And if he could get to 7 , the run for number 8 would be even bigger. The hype would be massive.

I dunno. I think the 2014 loss was probably the biggest source of pressure for him more than fans or records. Now he’s avenged that I can see him having a much better WC record going forward than from 2015-2019. Not to say I expect him to definitely win another but the semi win must have been such a huge monkey off his back. As we’ve seen over the last couple of years, equalling and breaking records isn’t something that gives him difficulty. He’s been constantly asked about the 37th ranking win and he beat it on the biggest possible stage.

I’m confident in him going forward.