Post a reply

Dave H focus on... Stephen Hendry

Postby N_Castle07

This season is Stephen Hendry’s 26th as a professional and his 23rd in succession as a member of the elite top 16.

It could also be the campaign that tells us whether his career in the top flight is set to continue or whether his days are numbered.

There is certainly no disgrace in being ranked 11th at the age of 41 but I suspect Stephen doesn’t derive much pleasure from now being a member of the supporting cast after so many years in the starring role.

He is snooker’s greatest ever champion and, like all born winners, wants to keep on winning.

In fact, it’s now five years since his last ranking title and almost four since his last ranking final.

Hendry’s essential problem is that all of the players above him in the rankings have copied how he played in his heyday but they are now playing it better than him.

When Steve Davis began to drop down the list he changed his game and became much more tactical, happy to scrape wins rather than try and pot his opponents off the table.

Hendry has never been a fan of safety play and frames that get drawn out and is still playing the same game as he always did, just with less success.

I know he hates people saying he isn’t as good as he once was but the evidence of the last two years suggests that this is the case.

It is hard for any player to accept this but especially difficult for an all time great.

It took Davis a number of years to come to terms with the fact that Hendry had overtaken him as snooker’s dominant force. When he did he relaxed and did not put himself under pressure trying to force results.

And then, out of nowhere and with little personal expectation, he won the Wembley Masters in 1997.

Since then Davis has put together several memorable performances, defying Old Father Time. He reached the 2004 Welsh Open final, the 2005 UK Championship final and, of course, beat John Higgins in the second round of last season’s Betfred.com World Championship.

In the same tournament Hendry struggled past young Zhang Anda before suffering a heavy defeat to Mark Selby.

His aura of invincibility is now gone. His performances of late have even seen him dropped from the Premier League.

But I think it’s dangerous to write him off completely. Truly great players in any sport have a tendency to, as the old cliché puts it, roll back the years every now and again.

It’s entirely conceivable Hendry could win tournaments in the future but I don’t think he will until he accepts he is no longer as strong a player as he was at his remarkable peak.

What he needs is an injection of self belief. I don’t know if Hendry feels the new Players Tour Championship is beneath him but it is actually an ideal chance to rebuild confidence.

There’s nobody watching, if he loses he can point to the short format but it’s matches against good players and will toughen up his game more than by playing alone in his snooker room.

Furthermore, if he misses many more PTC events his ranking position will suffer and it may be that he will have to go to the Academy in Sheffield – to qualify for tournaments.

In such a scenario, Hendry may prefer a dignified retirement. If that happens he will hang up his cue safe in the knowledge that his career has been more successful than any other player in the modern age.

But I sense he isn’t ready to give up just yet.

Re: Dave H focus on... Stephen Hendry

Postby N_Castle07

I think Dave has hit the nail on the head its not looking good for Hendry his stubbornness is his downfall. Love him or hate him nobody can deny how great a champion he really was. The dedication and will he showed to practicing in the 90’s was admired by many fellow professionals many fans and many sportsmen and sportswomen from different sports. For this reason I believe he deserves a dignified retirement but the way things are going that is looking unlikely. I might be wrong but maybe he feels a bit of bitterness for not getting invited to the PL after so many years. Was this to do with him publicly backing John Davison??? Who knows. But it is a fact that Hendry is still a better player now than White and Davis was when they last competed in the PL. As Dave has pointed out by not going to the first three PTC events (for what ever reason other commitments holidays ect) he will suffer in the rankings. Nobody believes that Hendry will continue playing if he falls from the top 16 and has to qualify for events. For me I think he has two options.

1) Have a good run for a couple of seasons and retire whilst being in the top 16, or
2) Change his ways realize he is not the player he was and enjoy playing for many years to come like Davis.

Postby Wildey

Stephen Hendry playing Mark Selby at the crucible although Mark Played very well i just felt there was no real spark from Stephen it was a pitiful sight at times. im not sure if he has the heart for snooker any more.

Postby Caledonian Craig

Quite simply Stephen Hendry has been on a downward slope in his career now for a number of years now and is victim of the 'Age Factor' which invariably hits all snooker players in time. I cannot see him winning the world title again purely because he has past his best and nothing to do with this being a stronger era.

Postby randam05

Is he the best over 40 player at the moment?

His ranking would suggest so, but at the moment, ebdon is having the better results. A china open win last season, a semi at the world open this season.

I think other than ebdon, hendry is still the best over 40 player. Others that could compete are Doherty and possibly Davis. I would like to see hendry vs ebdon or doherty at the crucible in a long match to see who wins. Would be a very good match.

I think the problem is, is him being stubborn and possibly thinking hes still too good, which I think everyone is in mutual agreement with. By being stubborn, he thinks the ptc events are to low for him to go, which is stupid. I believe a PTC is the only event he could win anymore. He does need to change his game slightly to be playing well enough in the top 32 for the next ten years. I admire steve davis for changing his game and still staying inside the top 32 over 50 and playing to reasonable standard.

Postby Wildey

randam05 wrote:But steve has got to a UK final and Masters final when over 40.

he was 48 when he did that hendry still got 7 years on him but at 41 Davis was Further Gone down the Path than Hendry is today.

the talent is still there i believe the pressure of holding on to his past is dragging him down i think 1 of 2 things will happen when he drops out of the top 16 Retire or Relax and start to play his Natural game which he has not done for years.

Postby randam05

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:at 41 Stephen is playing better than steve was at 41.

Steves almost playing better at 53 than Stephen is at 41 though <cool>

<cool> <ok> ALMOST yes ALMOST...

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:

yes i bet stephen would just love to play as well as Steve is Provisional 34 <doh>

get your head from your ass you tit <ok>

as a hendry fan id die and gone to heaven if Hendry could carry Steve and Jimmy around with him every tournament to play them.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

yes i bet stephen would just love to play as well as Steve is Provisional 34 <doh>

as a hendry fan id die and gone to heaven if Hendry could carry Steve and Jimmy around with him every tournament to play them.

Wake up and smell the coffee :john:

come back to me when Hendry does all of these things....... :bowdown:

Wins the Masters this year (when hes 41)
Reaches the UK final in the year 2017 (when hes 48)
Still in the top 16 in the year 2019 (when hes 50)
Reaches the quarter finals of the Worlds in the year 2022 (when hes 53)

:rude:

Postby Witz78

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

Wake up and smell the coffee :john:

come back to me when Hendry does all of these things....... :bowdown:

Wins the Masters this year (when hes 41)
Reaches the UK final in the year 2017 (when hes 48)
Still in the top 16 in the year 2019 (when hes 50)
Reaches the quarter finals of the Worlds in the year 2022 (when hes 53)

:rude:

PS - One comment from me thats not even that unrealistic and you lose the plot and launch into a tirade of expletives. Its always a sign that you know your struggling to argue your point so have to resport to turning it into a slanging match rofl

Postby Tubberlad

To be honest, I think Davis pisses on Hendry for longevity. Hendry will never do the things Davis has done at his age.

Postby Wildey

Hendry has already Pisses on Davis for Longjevity ..in every Stat Going

No1
Top 4
Top 8
Top 10
Top 16 For Most Consecrative Years

Steve Davis isnt Fit to be mentioned in the Same Breath as Stephen for Longjevity <doh>

Postby Tubberlad

Hendry will not win the Masters, or any major, at 41.
Hendry will not make a ranking final at 48 or older
Hendry will not be top 16 at 50
Hendry will not make the quarter-finals of the World Championship at 53
Hendry will not play across five decades at the Crucible

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Hendry will not win the Masters, or any major, at 41.

Davis won the Masters at 38

As for others we dont know and wont know for 11 Years

Postby randam05

thetubberlad wrote:Hendry will not win the Masters, or any major, at 41.

<ok>

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:Hendry has already Pisses on Davis for Longjevity ..in every Stat Going

No1
Top 4
Top 8
Top 10
Top 16 For Most Consecrative Years

Steve Davis isnt Fit to be mentioned in the Same Breath as Stephen for Longjevity <doh>

Your just making yourself look daft now Wild, why cant you just debate in a normal manner <doh>

your kidding yourself on now with some of these statements rofl

Postby Tubberlad

Wild, you're kidding yourself if you think Hendry is going to do those things. Absolutely kidding yourself.

Was it 38? Well, Hendry has already failed on that one.

This is not a question of who was greater. In that reguard, it's Hendry every time. Davis is the greatest player in terms of longevity.

Postby Wildey

all i know as of now 41 years of age Stephen had a longer more successfully career than Davis what will happen in the future we dont know if someone had told me Steve would have got back in the top 16 at 45 id have laughed at them he was well gone at that stage missed the crucible in 2001 and 2002 he was on a very long slide to oblivion so we dont know what the future holds.

Postby Witz78

thetubberlad wrote:Wild, you're kidding yourself if you think Hendry is going to do those things. Absolutely kidding yourself.

Was it 38? Well, Hendry has already failed on that one.

This is not a question of who was greater. In that reguard, it's Hendry every time. Davis is the greatest player in terms of longevity.

Jan 1997 Davis won the Masters so he was 39 and a half <ok>

I wouldnt say Hendry wins in every WHOS THE GREATEST DEBATE against Davis.

Davis won 73 pro titles to Hendrys 64 (that might not be exactly correct figure but its something like that)

Also, although Hendry has 8 more ranking titles to his name, dont forget that a lot of Davis early 80s titles were won in the era when only the World Championship was a ranking event. Some of Davis's UK wins dont even count in his ranking titles count <doh>

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
randam05 wrote:But steve has got to a UK final and Masters final when over 40.

he was 48 when he did that hendry still got 7 years on him but at 41 Davis was Further Gone down the Path than Hendry is today.

the talent is still there i believe the pressure of holding on to his past is dragging him down i think 1 of 2 things will happen when he drops out of the top 16 Retire or Relax and start to play his Natural game which he has not done for years.

i note from your last paragraph youve changed your tune a bit Wild.

You always used to say Hendry would never reinvent himself or relax like Davis has :john:

Postby Eirebilly

Lets face, Steve Davis is a freak of nature. To still be able to cut it with the top players at his age is a credit to him. Who knows what Hendry will do in the future? You never know with a great like Hendry, maybe in a tournement all will click again and he will win. He may not win anything again either. Both have been incredible servents to the game.

Postby Wildey

under the old Ranking system Hendry would have gone as soon as he drops out of the top 16.

although he isn't keen on the ranking system now as a top 16 player once he drops out he can see the benefit of it and just might stick around and relax a bit .

i think he is trying to hard to protect his unblemished top 16 record of 23 years unbroken 3 years longer than Steve and its putting pressure on him while he is looking over his shoulders constantly once that's gone then we can start to put the comparisons between both players longevity in the game in the twilight of their years.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:under the old Ranking system Hendry would have gone as soon as he drops out of the top 16.

although he isn't keen on the ranking system now as a top 16 player once he drops out he can see the benefit of it and just might stick around and relax a bit .

i think he is trying to hard to protect his unblemished top 16 record of 23 years unbroken 3 years longer than Steve and its putting pressure on him while he is looking over his shoulders constantly once that's gone then we can start to put the comparisons between both players longevity in the game in the twilight of their years.

if hes trying that hard though, he should be entering all the PTCs and taking them seriously, theres a heck of a lot of ranking points to be won and lost there which will make a big difference.

Its similar to Mark Allen, his latest ramblings on 110sport <doh> are about the PTC not really affecting him and the higher ranked players as a few points here and there doesnt make much difference to them, as much as it does to lower ranked players who can jump up a few places alone thanks to a couple of hundred points.

Allens currently sitting 15th now in the provisional rankings <doh>

In serious danger of dropping out of the elite and also what he (and Hendry perhaps) havent grasped is that come next season, the people around them in the rankings will still have lots of points from this seasons PTC counting towards their total points whilst they will have little. Slowly but surely the full effect of the PTC points will become evident.

Postby Wildey

in 2001 Steve was on the brink of falling out of the top 32 Stephen has not fallen that far down and he wont this season either next season might be a different story.

but its laughable how people forget just how far steve fell before he got back so we cant really compare them.

Stephen Hendry this week is at 13th provisional his lowest provisional ranking he has been since 1987 even John Higgins been lower than that in the last 5 years.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:in 2001 Steve was on the brink of falling out of the top 32 Stephen has not fallen that far down and he wont this season either next season might be a different story.

but its laughable how people forget just how far steve fell before he got back so we cant really compare them.

Stephen Hendry this week is at 13th provisional his lowest provisional ranking he has been since 1987 even John Higgins been lower than that in the last 5 years.

ive not forgotten how far Steve fell, thats whats make it all the more impressive how he regrouped and came back, rather than taking the easy option and packing the game in.

I actually feel Davis is the motivation for Hendry to continue as he will think, if Davis can do what hes done in his 40s and now into his 50s then that should be my target too. It gives Hendry a new focus in his career, since its unrealistic for him to expect to hit his previous heights in his 40s if he couldnt even manage to get close to doing that in his 30s.

Postby Wildey

all im saying mate we can not compare what steve done in his mid 40s to what stephen done because hes not reached that yet.

as i said if stephen fell OUT of the top 16 with the old system i could not have seen him carrying on but just like Ebdon has he might then embrace the PTC embrace the ranking system then as the hunter rather than the hunted and could climb back sooner and everything would be in his hands then not waiting a year as a qualifier.

Steve was in a very similar situation to Stephen is today 10 years ago make no mistake about it and he was falling so hard until that happens to stephen we really dont know do we.