Post a reply

Re: TOP 10 Snooker Players with the MOST Centurys From 1980-

Postby HustleKing

Holden Chinaski wrote:Great vid. Really shows how amazing Hendry and Ronnie are. John Higgins as well.

I'm not sure. With the natural ability they have (and with Higgin's and Ronnie's longevity), would they not be expected to get at least the amount of centuries they currently have? Certainly with Ronnie, it is far from a surprise that he has broken the 1000 century barrier. Still amazing achievements, but expected achievements imo

Postby Holden Chinaski

HustleKing wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Great vid. Really shows how amazing Hendry and Ronnie are. John Higgins as well.

I'm not sure. With the natural ability they have (and with Higgin's and Ronnie's longevity), would they not be expected to get at least the amount of centuries they currently have? Certainly with Ronnie, it is far from a surprise that he has broken the 1000 century barrier. Still amazing achievements, but expected achievements imo

It may seem obvious now, but who expected Ronnie to be this good and to last so long?! People were saying he was declining ten years ago.

It was obvious Ronnie and Higgins were talented when they started, but people didn't know how good they really were going to be. It's not just natural ability, it's also amazing work ethic and an ability to keep adapting to new younger rivals over and over again.

Postby D4P

Holden Chinaski wrote:It may seem obvious now, but who expected Ronnie to be this good and to last so long?! People were saying he was declining ten years ago.

I was thinking about this the other day. Stephen Hendry was 30 years old when he won his 18th (and final*) triple crown event. Ronnie only had 7 TC events at age 30. Who would have ever thought that Ronnie would win at least 13 more TC events after the age at which Hendry won his last*...?

*Barring any more TC wins during his comeback...

Postby HustleKing

D4P wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:It may seem obvious now, but who expected Ronnie to be this good and to last so long?! People were saying he was declining ten years ago.

I was thinking about this the other day. Stephen Hendry was 30 years old when he won his 18th (and final*) triple crown event. Ronnie only had 7 TC events at age 30. Who would have ever thought that Ronnie would win at least 13 more TC events after the age at which Hendry won his last*...?

A lot of people I would imagine, given that Hendry won his last TC at the age of 30

Postby Holden Chinaski

HustleKing wrote:
D4P wrote:

A lot of people I would imagine, given that Hendry won his last TC at the age of 30

I don't think there were many people who believed this would happen. Even on this forum the talk of decline has been going on for years. People were saying he wasn't going to win any more World Championships before 2012. People on this forum were saying he'll never win a Wold championship again not that long ago. There was even a thread here asking if Ronnie will ever win a ranking again.. People used to say the ranking record of Hendry would never be broken...

Postby TheRocket

In the past we always thought players would decline big time once they reach their mid 30's but now its the opposite and its Hendry who is more the expection rather than the rule from the look of things.

And its not just the class of 92 who is still going strong. The likes of Robertson,Selby,Murphy all still play to a high level despite being 37/38 now. Bingham and Hawkins have had huge success in their mid to late 30's. Especially Bingham who is 44 now and won the Masters in January.

Even a very low ranked player like Mark Davis played his best Snooker in his early 40's.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:In the past we always thought players would decline big time once they reach their mid 30's but now its the opposite and its Hendry who is more the expection rather than the rule from the look of things.

And its not just the class of 92 who is still going strong. The likes of Robertson,Selby,Murphy all still play to a high level despite being 37/38 now. Bingham and Hawkins have had huge success in their mid to late 30's. Especially Bingham who is 44 now and won the Masters in January.

Even a very low ranked player like Mark Davis played his best Snooker in his early 40's.

This just proves that Hendry could not cope with the stronger crop of players that appeared in the late 90s.. :evilgrin:

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:
TheRocket wrote:In the past we always thought players would decline big time once they reach their mid 30's but now its the opposite and its Hendry who is more the expection rather than the rule from the look of things.

This just proves that Hendry could not cope with the stronger crop of players that appeared in the late 90s.. :evilgrin:

it definitely shows the increased standard has had a big impact. I'm not having a go at Hendry and have a lot of respect for him but its not a fluke his most dominant period ended right when the likes of ROS,Higgins,Williams,Doherty,Ebdon and people like that started to enter their prime.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Hendry in his prime was very similar to Mike Tyson in his prime. Very attacking and intimidating. Tyson didn't have any longevity either. Both very hard workers and both wanted to dominate and be the best.. When people stopped being intimidated, both started losing.

Both are making a comeback now as well.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:Hendry in his prime was very similar to Mike Tyson in his prime. Very attacking and intimidating. Tyson didn't have any longevity either. Both very hard workers and both wanted to dominate and be the best.. When people stopped being intimidated, both started losing.

Tyson's downfall was the result of firing his coach, not training properly anymore, alcohol, drugs and hookers.
That does not apply to Hendry. He was still very professional, but the class of 92 surpassed his standard and few more came along that could match Hendry. That's why he stopped being top dog.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Hendry in his prime was very similar to Mike Tyson in his prime. Very attacking and intimidating. Tyson didn't have any longevity either. Both very hard workers and both wanted to dominate and be the best.. When people stopped being intimidated, both started losing.

Tyson's downfall was the result of firing his coach, not training properly anymore, alcohol, drugs and hookers.
That does not apply to Hendry. He was still very professional, but the class of 92 surpassed his standard and few more came along that could match Hendry. That's why he stopped being top dog.

That's a lot of excuses. No excuses needed for Ali, and this is coming from a Tyson fan. Hendry's downfall was his cue which he used all his life getting broken into pieces at the airport...

Postby TheRocket

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Lets put it this way. If Hendry was same age as Class of 92 he would have definitely still won World titles and other titles and be one of the very best players but he wouldnt have dominated the way he did in the early 90's. I think thats pretty obvious. I mean how are you supposed to totally dominate in an era when you have a prime Class of 92 as opposition. And a few other great players. He would have rather shared his titles than dominate it. Its just a fact.

Postby rekoons

TheRocket wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Lets put it this way. If Hendry was same age as Class of 92 he would have definitely still won World titles and other titles and be one of the very best players but he wouldnt have dominated the way he did in the early 90's. I think thats pretty obvious. I mean how are you supposed to totally dominate in an era when you have a prime Class of 92 as opposition. And a few other great players. He would have rather shared his titles than dominate it. Its just a fact.

I kind of agree with this.

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

If Hendry was the same age as the Class of 92, the Class of 92 and the like wouldn’t have been as good as they are from as young as they were, so there’s a good chance Hendry would have won exactly the same number of world titles.

Postby TheRocket

Iranu wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

If Hendry was the same age as the Class of 92, the Class of 92 and the like wouldn’t have been as good as they are from as young as they were, so there’s a good chance Hendry would have won exactly the same number of world titles.

I think Class of 92 would have adapted to Hendrys level very quickly if they were same age and started their careers at the same time

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:
I think Class of 92 would have adapted to Hendrys level very quickly if they were same age and started their careers at the same time

Not quickly enough to stop him having a good ~5 years before they caught up. Bear in mind they’d been watching him since they were kids and they still didn’t really catch up to his level until the mid/late 90s.

The whole thing is nonsense anyway <laugh> without Hendry, Davis would probably have been like 9 times World Champ and Jimmy probably a World Champ (I’m not being any more definitive than that with Jimmy!)

Postby TheRocket

You could be right about the 5 years before they caught up. Hendry was an early bloomer. I still dont think he would have won 7 World titles. However. Who cares. It is what it is.

But funnily enough Hendry only stopped Davis once at the World Championship. And that was 1994. Its like Davis got weaker mentally because Hendry arrived to the scene. He just couldnt handle it that he wasnt the best anymore.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:Not quickly enough to stop him having a good ~5 years before they caught up. Bear in mind they’d been watching him since they were kids and they still didn’t really catch up to his level until the mid/late 90s.

Don't you think that the fact that they were mere kids had something to do with him dominating ?!? <doh> :stupid:
When the class of 92 turned 20, Hendry's domination ended.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:You could be right about the 5 years before they caught up. Hendry was an early bloomer. I still dont think he would have won 7 World titles. However. Who cares. It is what it is.

But funnily enough Hendry only stopped Davis once at the World Championship. And that was 1994. Its like Davis got weaker mentally because Hendry arrived to the scene. He just couldnt handle it that he wasnt the best anymore.

Hendry would have 3 or 4 world titles at best.

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Iranu wrote:Not quickly enough to stop him having a good ~5 years before they caught up. Bear in mind they’d been watching him since they were kids and they still didn’t really catch up to his level until the mid/late 90s.

Don't you think that the fact that they were mere kids had something to do with him dominating ?!? <doh> :stupid:

... Yes, the fact that three of the best players of all time were children when they were watching Hendry when they were... children... probably helped Hendry.

You’re missing my point. They were able to learn from Hendry in the 80s as they grew up. Without that there’s no telling how they’d be as players. Just like there’s no telling how successful Hendry would have been if he didn’t have the winning machine Davis to learn from when he was developing as a kid/teenager.

Postby Wildey

Dan-cat wrote:That's amazing!!! Love the way Hendry pops up and zooms off, only to be surpassed by Ronnie in speed

Hendrys Centuries dried up considerably in the last 5 years had he made tons at same rate he would have made more than 900 by the time he retired in 2012.

It will be interesting to see if he can get his game together how much can he add to that.

Despite his senior form not been great hes still one of the few to actually make breaks

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Lets put this in to perspective

at the World Championship Stephen Hendry beat
Ronnie at 24 and 27
Mark Williams at 22, 25 and 34
John Higgins at 36

At the World Championship
Hendry 7-3 Class of 92

so he's definitely the KING of the Crucible

Postby TheRocket

ROS and Hendry are the two greatest ever.

But both, Ronnie and Hendry have weaknesses. Ronnies weakness is that he hasnt won more World titles. 6 is great with all the other titles he's won and records he broke but probably not enough yet to be the undisputed and definite GOAT in the eyes of everyone.

Hendrys weakness is that he barely won anything after turning 30. His last major was his seventh World title in 1999. He had 10 years at the very top but a poor later career which haunts his legacy a little bit.
Last edited by TheRocket on 08 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.