Post a reply

Ronnie's loss to Ricky Walden. Most bizzare?

Postby Acé

So I was going through all the ranking final losses an all-time great of Snooker has had after they became an established all-time great, gone through every ATG and this was the most bizarre loss I came across

is this the most bizarre? that makes you stop and go "huh?"

yeah every all-time great had losses obviously but they were all to household names after they became world champion, Hendry, Davis, Higgins, Williams, Selby etc haven't got a loss that sticks out bizarrely like Ronnie's loss to Walden

i've never watched a single frame of that match, wtf happened there?

Was Ricky GOATing or something?
Last edited by Acé on 06 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ronnie's loss to Ricky Walden. Most bizzare?

Postby Acé

SnookerFan wrote:
Acé wrote:I don't see any other "out of the box" loss like this with the other all-time greats

Everybody loses sometimes.

So you don't think it's the most bizarre?

LMAO okay, bet you think everyone is a world beater.

Postby TheRocket

Its came as a surprise as Ronnie was the reigning World Champion and he usually doesnt lose finals to non-All time Greats but if you look at Waldens draw its quite incredible who he beat on his way to win the title.

He had to win 3 matches to qualify for the tournament and then he beat Hendry, Robertson,Davis,Selby,Ronnie.

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:Its came as a surprise as Ronnie was the reigning World Champion and he usually doesnt lose finals to non-All time Greats but if you look at Waldens draw its quite incredible who he beat on his way to win the title.

He had to win 3 matches to qualify for the tournament and then he beat Hendry, Robertson,Davis,Selby,Ronnie.

Fair enough so it was a player having his day/run

still weird you'd think Ronnie would pull it out at the end

Postby D4P

TheRocket wrote:He had to win 3 matches to qualify for the tournament and then he beat Hendry, Robertson,Davis,Selby,Ronnie.

That must be the single most impressive group of players anyone has ever beat to win a tournament.

Postby TheRocket

Acé wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Its came as a surprise as Ronnie was the reigning World Champion and he usually doesnt lose finals to non-All time Greats but if you look at Waldens draw its quite incredible who he beat on his way to win the title.

Fair enough so it was a player having his day/run

still weird you'd think Ronnie would pull it out at the end

I definitely thought Ronnie would destroy him. Turned out that I was completely wrong. Cant really recall the match itself but Cuetracker says, both made six 50+ breaks. Seems to be an ok match.

Walden definitely has had his most success in China. Won all of his 3 rankers in China and also got to the China Open final where Trump destroyed him.

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:I definitely thought Ronnie would destroy him. Turned out that I was completely wrong. Cant really recall the match itself but Cuetracker says, both made six 50+ breaks. Seems to be an ok match.

Walden definitely has had his most success in China. Won all of his 3 rankers in China and also got to the China Open final where Trump destroyed him.

Yeah as I was going through ranking final losses for all-time greats this one stood out the most against a non ATG opponent, it'd be like Federer losing to Ferrer in a final lol

never seen the tournament myself but I guess with that run Walden had it made sense usually if a upset happens against a top player they crash out the next but he kept going

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ronnie has talked about this when he was talking about the lack of quality in some players. He said most players can beat any player on their day. But they can't do it 5 times or 10 times or every time. They don't have the consistency only the top players have. But a player like Ricky Walden can beat anybody on his day. He's just not the kind of player who can do it over and over again, on a regular basis.

Postby D4P

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Snooker is one of the sports where surprise results are more likely to happen as there's so more things that are hard to control.

Yep, the highest match win% for any player is just 75%, and everyone else is below 70%. So even the very best players lose at least one out of every four matches on average...

Postby SnookerFan

Acé wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I definitely thought Ronnie would destroy him. Turned out that I was completely wrong. Cant really recall the match itself but Cuetracker says, both made six 50+ breaks. Seems to be an ok match.

Yeah as I was going through ranking final losses for all-time greats this one stood out the most against a non ATG opponent, it'd be like Federer losing to Ferrer in a final lol

never seen the tournament myself but I guess with that run Walden had it made sense usually if a upset happens against a top player they crash out the next but he kept going

Dave Farrar?