Most pots without reply: 76
Points scored: 293
Average points scored per frame: 97.7
Points conceded: 34
Average points conceded per frame: 11.3
Most points scored without reply: 276
Scoring visits: 5
Average points per scoring visit: 58.6

Not too shabby for someone with no cue action I say.

Re: O'Sullivan's last three frames versus Selby: in numbers

Postby Holden Chinaski

It was one of the greatest moments in snooker history. The bottle Ronnie had in those last frames... Just unbelievable.

Looked as cool as a cucumber and played like a god. Even that red he potted to win the match, not an easy red and there was so much pressure, but he just looked at it, got in his stance and potted it. He was in his rhythm, in the zone, and he knew it. And those frames where he played those hit and hope shots, instead of slowing the game down and thinking about safeties, definitely helped him to find his rhythm and get in the zone.

Postby Iranu

rekoons wrote:Did I already mention I watched those last 4 frames live on the phone of a selby fan, together with some Ronnie minded mates?
:) Good fun!

So did Wild smash his phone?

Postby TheRocket

when you watch the last three frames never forget this has been a career defining moment. I called this match a legacy match right from the start. And its a huge win for Ronnie.

If Selby won the match there would have been a real chance he ended up winning more world titles than Ronnie or have at least the same number. In addition to that he would have had a 3:0 H2H against ROS at the Crucible.

All this might have led to a situation eventually where people rank Selby above O'Sullivan which would be crazy if you think about it but thats what could have easily happened in the future.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:In a way, Ronnie used the snooker equivalent of Muhammad Ali's "Rope-a-dope" technique to beat Selby. Brilliant.

What? He stood in the corner and let himself get punched?

I must've missed that.

"In many competitive situations, rope-a-dope is used to describe strategies in which one contender lets their opponent fatigue themself by drawing non-injuring offensive punches. This then gives the contender an advantage as the opponent becomes tired, allowing the contender to execute devastating offensive manoeuvres and thereby win."

Postby Holden Chinaski

I've re-watched this match a couple of times already, and you have to give some respect to Alan McManus. Not only did he predict the correct score, he alluded a couple of times during the mid-session interval to what eventually happened... "At some point in this match if Ronnie is two or three frames behind, Ronnie's going to think this isn't going to happen for me like this so I'm just going to completely play loose, loose as a goose, and when guys like Ronnie do that they become very dangerous."

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:In a way, Ronnie used the snooker equivalent of Muhammad Ali's "Rope-a-dope" technique to beat Selby. Brilliant.

Utter crap.
Ronnie pulled a Mike Tyson combo on Selby, not a rope a dope.

You obviously have no clue because during the match you kept saying Ronnie was an idiot and he was going to lose. I, on the other hand, said he would win. You celebrate the victory now, but you have absolutely no faith in Ronnie when he's playing. Tyson won fights quick and always had the upper hand. When fights were not going his way, he lost. Ronnie clearly did an Ali here, not a Tyson.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Utter crap.

You obviously have no clue because during the match you kept saying Ronnie was an idiot and he was going to lose. I, on the other hand, said he would win. You celebrate the victory now, but you have absolutely no faith in Ronnie when he's playing. Tyson won fights quick and always had the upper hand. When fights were not going his way, he lost. Ronnie clearly did an Ali here, not a Tyson.

Ronnie did a Tyson cause he was attacking just like Tyson, who overpowered his opponents.
Ali could never do that, so he had to tire out his opponents.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Utter crap.

Ronnie did a Tyson cause he was attacking just like Tyson, who overpowered his opponents.
Ali could never do that, so he had to tire out his opponents.

What Ronnie did against Thep was Tyson style. What he did against Selby was Ali style. He was down but came back stronger in the end. Tyson never did that.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:I like boxing, but does it really matter if he is Ali or Tyson, for bucks sake? <doh>

He's like Ronnie.

I was basically just saying that what Ronnie did against Selby reminded me a bit of the "Rope-a-dope" technique in a way. That's it.