Post a reply

Re: Ronnie O’Sullivan: 'I’m only 70% of the player I was'

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:I'm very interested to see if Ronnie will keep using this new mental approach and tactics he used against Selby. I think he's really on to something. It makes matches more enjoyable for himself and it's very confusing and frustrating for the opponent. Of course, he has to be playing great to be able to turn it on in frames that aren't scrappy.

That approach worked in the semis but you will lose more than win playing like that and once the shock factor is past then players will adapt and play negatively to get Ronnie to hit and hope out of snookers.

Not the first time Ronnie played like that but the shocking thing was that was the World championship

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:I can see Selby winning a world title once he's past 40.

Anyone else outside the class of 92? Can't see it.

The slow boring grinder's winning days are over.
His style is too exhausting and he won't win anything anymore, retire and make my day. :mosh:

Postby D4P

Johnny Bravo wrote:

His style is too exhausting and he won't win anything anymore, retire and make my day. :mosh:

I'm expecting Selby's work with Chris Henry to pay off in terms of more trophies.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Wildey wrote:Standard wise the World Championship this year was lacking but that equated to a lot of exciting matches the final the exception Ronnie took advantage of that because no player can play as little and still perform like Ronnie.

Don't think he would have won playing like he did in a normal season he took advantage of Covid situation and won Well deserved but i would go further than him id say he's only 55 to 60% of the player he was. and that will fall further over the coming years its inevitable.

55 to 60 % was enough to beat your boring grinder :win:

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:

Selby won two ranking events this season and reached the world semi finals.

Underestimate him at your peril. I have a feeling he’ll be fired up by his loss to Ronnie.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Wildey wrote:Standard wise the World Championship this year was lacking but that equated to a lot of exciting matches the final the exception Ronnie took advantage of that because no player can play as little and still perform like Ronnie.

Don't think he would have won playing like he did in a normal season he took advantage of Covid situation and won Well deserved but i would go further than him id say he's only 55 to 60% of the player he was. and that will fall further over the coming years its inevitable.

You sure like to celebrate Ronnie's victory but I remember you being very negative and having no confidence in Ronnie beating Selby during the match... I remember you calling Ronnie dumb and saying he was playing stupid shots. Should have listened to me, I told you Ronnie would win. Not the first time either.

Postby TheRocket

Past his prime Higgins could be called a grinder as well and he got to three consecutive world finals in his early 40's. So Selby has a chance to win another World title.

With Selby its obvious that he's the most vulnerable in the first two rounds. But once he gets to the one table stage he is always very tough to beat over that distance as it was shown again this year.

Postby Wildey

Johnny Bravo wrote:

You're the boring one mate its like a stuck bucking record recycling the same old rubbish time after time after time :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Postby Johnny Bravo

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

Selby won two ranking events this season and reached the world semi finals.

Underestimate him at your peril. I have a feeling he’ll be fired up by his loss to Ronnie.

I hope he's devastated and cuts his own throat <laugh>

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:Past his prime Higgins could be called a grinder as well and he got to three consecutive world finals in his early 40's. So Selby has a chance to win another World title.

With Selby its obvious that he's the most vulnerable in the first two rounds. But once he gets to the one table stage he is always very tough to beat over that distance as it was shown again this year.

Well I think Higgins plays negatively far less often than Selby (although I don’t think Selby does it as often as some people like to make out). So I guess it depends on your definition of grinder. Even when Higgins is playing badly he rarely actively tries to make the game scrappy and negative.

Higgins and Selby are similar in that they win far more matches playing badly than pretty much any other player. Especially in terms of not being able to score (players like Ronnie and Judd still score even when they’re playing below par so it’s a bit different). This means we see a lot more of them playing badly than we do most players, which gives the impression, especially with Selby, that they’re not very good and intentionally bring players down to their level. When in reality the fact that we see so much of this from them is actually a testament to how good they are.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:I hope he's devastated and cuts his own throat <laugh>

I know you’re joking but that’s still a pretty horrendous thing to say.

And he will serve a 7 day ban for being a sick bastard.

Postby Acé

TheRocket wrote:Past his prime Higgins could be called a grinder as well and he got to three consecutive world finals in his early 40's. So Selby has a chance to win another World title.

Nah no way past his prime Higgins is still watchable and can still score like he was doing vs Maflin, he just misses ALOT but even then he never plays snooker like Selby making EVERYTHING negative and safety ridden with 40-50 minute frames

This only happens with Selby for some reason and it's due to him

Selby's approach to Snooker is put everything on the cushion.

While guys like Ronnie, Judd, Higgins, Williams, Ding etc all the attacking players want to use the holes the tables has and try and pot a ball. They take the initiative, play aggressive, and that's the HARDEST way to play Snooker, when you play aggressive because so many things can go wrong but they pull it off.

Higgins never bogged down Ronnie in fact Ronnie never ever said throughout their 30 year rivalry that he's never gonna get bogged down vs Higgins or that he lost rhythm vs Higgins like the way he talks about Selby. Because he knows what clash of styles is and what grinder vs attacking player is

They're on the complete opposite end of the spectrum

Postby Acé

There's a reason why Selby doesn't put bum on seats, gets put on non tv tables and gets no crowd support, he built up his reputation himself and plays a brand of snooker no one likes

Fans will ALWAYS be right cuz they know what's real.

He's basically the Djokovic of Snooker. Champion but they never received the praise that they should've got based on their accomplishments.

Postby TheRocket

Yeah you're right. The thing with Higgins these days is that he just cant score well consistently as he used to do in his prime and he misses a lot of sitters. Thats why he gets involved into tactical frames even if he doesnt want to.

But he definitely doesnt drag down opponents or create scrappy frames on purpose. Thats true.

Postby Wildey

Acé wrote:There's a reason why Selby doesn't put bum on seats, gets put on non tv tables and gets no crowd support, he built up his reputation himself and plays a brand of snooker no one likes

Fans will ALWAYS be right cuz they know what's real.

He's basically the Djokovic of Snooker. Champion but they never received the praise that they should've got based on their accomplishments.

Believe me Selby puts bums on seats just go to Selby exhibition to see how many im a bit sick of idiots like you using this forum to talk crap without factual evidence to back it up

Postby Iranu

I’m pretty sure Selby’s one of the most popular players outside of the snooker hardcores. There are only a handful of top players who are more well-known than him to the casual snooker fan, and three of those are the CO92.

Same goes for Djokovic actually.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:I’m pretty sure Selby’s one of the most popular players outside of the snooker hardcores. There are only a handful of top players who are more well-known than him to the casual snooker fan, and three of those are the CO92.

Same goes for Djokovic actually.

Exactly

Ronnie O'Sullivan is without doubt one of the most popular players ever as was Jimmy White and Alex Higgins before him but ive been to a Anthony Hamilton v Dave Harold Match few years back and the place was packed someone has to be on a non TV Table and very very rearly Mak Selby isnt on the TV Table but obviously if Ronnie or Judd is there then hes on a outside table.

Postby Wildey

LC wrote:Wow some people get really touchy when you criticising their favourite player, but as the dude says that’s just like my opinion man

Im being touchy when pin ends talk bucking rubbish it really that simple got buck all to do with Selby or anyone else.

Postby Andre147

Mark Selby is a fantastic player, and him working with Chris Henry will I think be good for him the coming season.

Regarding Ronnie, Wild is spot on.. the tactic he used worked at the worlds, but if he starts using it too much his opponents will try to snooker him everytime and more often than not Ronnie's hit and hope shots would work against him.

Postby TheRocket

This hit and hope thing gets more attention than it deserves. He did it only 3 or 4 times and the only time he actually got away with it was the last one in the decider.

When you watch Selbys salty interview you'd think he did it throughout the whole match.

It was the agressive style of play in general which was the key to win this match. And thats a very legit strategy. Going for a few risky pots and shots changed the rhytm of the match and put Selby out of his comfort zone.

He overpowered and outscored Selby in the final session.

Postby Acé

Wildey wrote:Believe me Selby puts bums on seats just go to Selby exhibition to see how many im a bit sick of idiots like you using this forum to talk crap without factual evidence to back it up

No he doesn't he doesn't fill out any snooker matches like attacking players do and that's a fact, nor does he get any crowd support whatsoever heck even Higgins in 2017 had more crowd support against Selby in the WC final and we all know the absolute difference in crowd support between Selby and Ronnie matches when they play each other, despite Ronnie have won so much more than him he still gets x1000 more cheers and willingness from the crowd

I don't need to go to exhibitions lmao it's clear for anyone to see the reputation Selby has just by looking at how the crowd reacts to him. Do you ever hear "GO ON SELBY"?

Does Selby invoke that type of reaction from the crowd?

NO

No one wants him to win it's just the way it is

and don't even get me started on social media. the amount of casual fans that despise Selby by calling him boring is over the roof it doesn't take long to see who wants who to win, just one click on a Selby link through WST Twitter and you'll see 90% of them being negative comments while you click a Judd or a Ronnie Tweet from WST and ther'd be people that actually want them to win

they are the facts, Selby isn't a flair player that invokes the crowd to support him nor does he put bums on seats otherwise he wouldn't have the reputation that he has

it's fine tho, every sport has a villain. No one cares about "good guy Selby" it's what you do on the table and how you do it that counts and gets the crowd going

Postby Pink Ball

Acé wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:I can’t bucking stand Selby, but I rarely miss one of his matches for that exact reason. He’s box office in his own way.

Selby would make turning the tap water on look like climbing mount Everest

I agree. If he tried eating an ice cream, he'd wait until it started melting until he'd dig in.

That's part of the reason why I hate watching him. There's zero flair there at all, and that's generally not the kind of snooker I prefer. But tuning in and wanting him to be beaten is in itself hugely entertaining. To me at least.

He is a class snooker player, by the way, regardless of what I may think of him.