Post a reply

Re: Ronnie O’Sullivan: 'I’m only 70% of the player I was'

Postby D4P

Iranu wrote:I don’t think this is true. Just because he hasn’t done it in a while that doesn’t mean he’s incapable of performing like that for a whole match anymore.

It’s not like he used to do it all the time.

I think it's hard to know much about the state of Ronnie's "peak" game these days because it has been a long time since he wasn't rusty. After winning in Shanghai almost a year ago, he essentially took the season off and didn't really start trying hard again until the Shootout, after which he had a longish break before looking really good at the Covid Classic and then having another long break before the WC...

Postby eraserhead

Iranu wrote:I don’t think this is true. Just because he hasn’t done it in a while that doesn’t mean he’s incapable of performing like that for a whole match anymore.

The problem with Ronnie is he's a touch player. When it doesn't click it effects every part of his game. If he's not playing well it's really noticeable as he's constantly leaving reds over the pocket, hitting safeties too thick or missing long pots by a mile.

The great thing about Ronnie is he's a touch player. It's why I wasn't worried in the last session against Selby because you could just tell he was in the zone. When he's in that mood it's just magic to watch.

Another player could have really punished Ronnie in the second session of the final as he was struggling that badly. That's what I love about his performance this tournament though, it was about forgetting the bad sessions and putting in the right performance when he had to.

Postby LC

Iranu wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
LC wrote:It was C game ROS for large parts of the tournament, only in patches he hit the high level only a handful of players can, like the 2 and a half frames at the end of selby match.
Wonder if he can hit that high level consistently anymore?

He can, but only in short bursts.

I don’t think this is true. Just because he hasn’t done it in a while that doesn’t mean he’s incapable of performing like that for a whole match anymore.

Yeah but as someone who’s watched him for over 20 years his bad patches have been a lot more noticeable in the last year, but I’m being super harsh because we’ve being spoilt with his high level of play over the years.

Postby TheRocket

will be interesting to see how he'll perform in next years World Championship. Things have definitely changed now. He wont enter the World Championship as someone who had a very poor record in recent time. He will be the defending champion which is a confidence boost. And as number one seed he should get a good draw. Trump definitely did this year but couldnt convert it.

Postby eraserhead

I think he's just a lot more vulnerable as time goes on. Give him enough chances amongst the balls and he's going to win frames. The problems start when he has to rely on his opponents missing rather than creating his own chances.

Postby D4P

I tend to think that Ronnie feels like he has 2 choices these days: try hard throughout the season and win 3-5 tournaments but then experience a bad combination of high expectations and low energy/enthusiasm at the WC, or play exhibition-style snooker throughout the season (and probably not win any tournaments) in order to save energy for maximizing his chances at the WC.

At least for now, he seems to have chosen the second option...

Postby TheRocket

he'll try even harder to peak for the WC and solely for the WC now. He talked about chasing Hendrys record before Rob Walker asked him in the post match interview. He knows thats the only record left to be equalled or broken now. Its like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic battling it out and going for the most grand slam titles.

The World Championship will be even more exciting now thats for sure.

Postby D4P

TheRocket wrote:he'll try even harder to peak for the WC and solely for the WC now. He talked about chasing Hendrys record before Rob Walker asked him in the post match interview. He knows thats the only record left to be equalled or broken now. Its like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic battling it out and going for the most grand slam titles.

If he thinks to himself that he can give 100% at the WC for the next 10 years, he would have to like his chances of being able to win at least 1 out of 10...

Postby TheRocket

D4P wrote:
TheRocket wrote:he'll try even harder to peak for the WC and solely for the WC now. He talked about chasing Hendrys record before Rob Walker asked him in the post match interview. He knows thats the only record left to be equalled or broken now. Its like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic battling it out and going for the most grand slam titles.

If he thinks to himself that he can give 100% at the WC for the next 10 years, he would have to like his chances of being able to win at least 1 out of 10...

cant see him winning it in his mid 50's. that would be too much.

I think he has to do it in the next 4-5 years. ideal scenario would be if he really takes advantage from being the number one seed next year and possibly having an easier draw and immediately wins his 7th straightaway.

The hype would be massive if he goes for number 8. But whatever happens. He has a real shot at equalling Hendry at the very least now and get to 7.

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:I just don't agree that he's that much worse than he ever was. Combined with his new mental approach, he's as dangerous as he ever has been. He just won the Worlds.

He's not worse, but his bad patches are more noticeable and his brilliant frame bursts don't happen that often.

That's one of the reasons he had to battle very hard to win this World Champs, he wasn't blowing his opponents off the table easily, apart from the first match where he was awesome.

Postby Pink Ball

He isn't as good as he used to be, but he hasn't declined anywhere near as much as Williams and Higgins, who are also still competitive because the newcomers are so rubbish.

He doesn't need to be as good as he used to be anyway. That would be just ridiculously good.

Postby Wildey

D4P wrote:
Iranu wrote:I think the noticeably tighter pockets made the standard seem worse than it actually was.

And the hot/humid weather led to poor table conditions...

Yea but if you remember the weather we actually got in April and early may was just as hot if not hotter so i dont think tha would have made any difference if the tournament had been played then

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:It was a bucking brilliant championship. One of the best ever.

Last 16 matches and the Semis were the obvious highlight.

First round was very strong as well. The quarters and final were a bit flat, but the semis were so good that it didn't feel as big a letdown.

Postby TheRocket

Ronnie is undoubtely past his prime but he is still the 2nd best player of the World. Like the rankings also demonstrate.

The only player I make favourite against Ronnie in a big match now is Judd. Judd is the only player out there who can outscore and outplay him regularly.

But who else can you say is really better than him? Robertson,Selby,Higgins,Allen,Ding? Nope. They can all beat him dont get me wrong. Thats not my point. But are they more steady or consistent than Ronnie? Definitely not.

Postby mantorok

70% of his ability, in terms of wining titles, is still on level with Judd and above the rest of the field. 70% means he can win scrappy matches and grind it out when he's not as his best with his occasional "best" making an appearance once in a while. That's just a reflection of how much ability he has.

We know age affects concentration, that's what the missed sitters and bad safety shot are about, which is nothing to do with ability.

Winning the world championship at 44 is almost laughable for any other player, but it was on his bucket-list.

Postby Iranu

mantorok wrote:Winning the world championship at 44 is almost laughable for any other player, but it was on his bucket-list.

Not sure about this. Williams won it at 43 and Higgins came close from 41-43.

I imagine it’s something we’ll see more of over the coming years, unless something drastic changes with the younger players.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I'm very interested to see if Ronnie will keep using this new mental approach and tactics he used against Selby. I think he's really on to something. It makes matches more enjoyable for himself and it's very confusing and frustrating for the opponent. Of course, he has to be playing great to be able to turn it on in frames that aren't scrappy.

Postby mantorok

Iranu wrote:
mantorok wrote:Winning the world championship at 44 is almost laughable for any other player, but it was on his bucket-list.

I imagine it’s something we’ll see more of over the coming years, unless something drastic changes with the younger players.

Didn't realise Willams was 43, but let's be honest this was Ronnies 6th and Williams 3rd with John sat on 4. It's not just about this one win, it's the consistency over the years as well, everyone expects him to win it every year as well as being favourite in every tournament.

Huge difference.

Postby Iranu

mantorok wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Didn't realise Willams was 43, but let's be honest this was Ronnies 6th and Williams 3rd with John sat on 4. It's not just about this one win, it's the consistency over the years as well, everyone expects him to win it every year as well as being favourite in every tournament.

Huge difference.

Well, yeah. Ronnie’s better than Higgins or Williams. But my point was that winning at 44 isn’t “almost laughable for any other player.”

His consistency is another conversation entirely.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Ronnie is undoubtely past his prime but he is still the 2nd best player of the World. Like the rankings also demonstrate.

The only player I make favourite against Ronnie in a big match now is Judd. Judd is the only player out there who can outscore and outplay him regularly.

But who else can you say is really better than him? Robertson,Selby,Higgins,Allen,Ding? Nope. They can all beat him dont get me wrong. Thats not my point. But are they more steady or consistent than Ronnie? Definitely not.

Yes definately, Trump is the only player out there who can outscore him and win most of their big matches.

Despite this, and Judd being in his prime, their h2h is still pretty close, and I still expect Ronnie to win the odd against him.

Postby mantorok

Iranu wrote:
mantorok wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Huge difference.

Well, yeah. Ronnie’s better than Higgins or Williams. But my point was that winning at 44 isn’t “almost laughable for any other player.”

His consistency is another conversation entirely.

I'll rephrase it, "laughable for any other player not in the class of '92" <laugh>

Postby mantorok

Holden Chinaski wrote:
mantorok wrote:everyone expects him to win it every year .

Except most of his fans. On this forum it's probably only me, SnookerFan, and Dan, who think Ronnie will win every year.

I think there's a difference between thinking he will win it and thinking he can win it :-)

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:I can see Selby winning a world title once he's past 40.

I initially thought this but I'm not so sure, Selbys game is very much based on focus and concentration, he has to try very hard. Sure his safety game is probably the best there's every been, but you still have to choose the right shots to play.

That's not going to get easier with age.