Post a reply

Ding doesn't enter championship league

Postby D4P

Championship league snooker is returning in September, and Ding Junhui has not entered! He won't be one of 128 players battling it out in the group stage, looking to secure a place in the last 32.

Re: Ding doesn't enter championship league

Postby SnookerEd25

D4P wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:I’d be surprised if the World Champ bothered...

The World Champ is in the field.

And, as predicted, I am surprised <ok>

Postby SteveJJ

snoopy2608 wrote:not surprised - prize money pretty low. Only 7 pros missing - Ding, Mifsud presumably and who else?

Depending on the crowd situation, possibly Hamilton

Postby Acé

SnookerEd25 wrote:
D4P wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:I’d be surprised if the World Champ bothered...

The World Champ is in the field.

And, as predicted, I am surprised <ok>

I'm surprised too

doesn't bother with tournaments like International Championship, China Championship, China Open in the past or even bother to qualify for German Masters

but play in the CL?

lol

Postby Ck147

McManusFan wrote:
Acé wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:What is the point of Steve Mifsud?

What is the point of life?

To sit on the sofa and watch snooker.

...and blow the froth off a cold one

Postby SnookerFan

Ck147 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Acé wrote:

Would you then go on to drink it? Or would you be content blowing the froth off?

Postby Ck147

SnookerFan wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:
Acé wrote:

Would you then go on to drink it? Or would you be content blowing the froth off?

I think you know the answer to that

Postby lhpirnie

Well, let's face it, this Championship League is not a big tournament. For each player it just consists of 1 day of matches, then if lucky another day several weeks later...

The strengths are that it's tailor-made for TV, with just 2 tables, most of the players can earn some money (the group structure means that almost all players will earn something), and it keeps snooker running without large gaps between tournaments.

Ronnie might like the idea of just 1 night in the isolation hotel. Ding might consider it not worth the effort, especially if he's working on his game, which looked a bit rusty in the WC.

Postby chengdufan

snoopy2608 wrote:draw now out...

Tour non-entrants:

Ding, Fu, Mei Xiwen, Bai Langning, Hicks, Mifsud, Pagett

replaced by top 7 from Q school order of merit:

Ochoiski, White, Davison, Fernandez, Curtis-Barrett, Johal, Brown

It's surprising that Mei Xiwen and Bai Langning haven't entered, given that the other Chinese players have. I wonder if LHPirnie has the skinny on that?
Hicks and Pagett not playing is another headscratcher. Pagett has only just got back on tour. Maybe he has work commitments to his employer? Or did he just miss the entry deadline?
Anyway, good to see Ochoiski and Brown getting a game.

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:ITV have the French Open and Tour De France, let alone any horse racing at the same time as some of the early stages, so I wonder if they will pass up showing this

Oh really?

I was wondering earlier who'd show it.

Isn't the Tour De France on Eurosport as well? Could probably stick it on Eurosport 2, I guess.

I can't see the BBC taking it, but then I was suprised that The Seniors was on the BBC.

Postby lhpirnie

chengdufan wrote:
snoopy2608 wrote:draw now out...

Tour non-entrants:

Ding, Fu, Mei Xiwen, Bai Langning, Hicks, Mifsud, Pagett

replaced by top 7 from Q school order of merit:

Ochoiski, White, Davison, Fernandez, Curtis-Barrett, Johal, Brown

It's surprising that Mei Xiwen and Bai Langning haven't entered, given that the other Chinese players have. I wonder if LHPirnie has the skinny on that?
Hicks and Pagett not playing is another headscratcher. Pagett has only just got back on tour. Maybe he has work commitments to his employer? Or did he just miss the entry deadline?
Anyway, good to see Ochoiski and Brown getting a game.

I don't know for sure, but Mei Xiwen is from Wuhan, the centre of the Covid-19 outbreak. He was doing charity work earlier this year. Bai Langning is from Jilin, which borders Russia and North Korea, and subject to some travel restrictions. The other Jilin player, Lu Ning, moved to Shanghai to get away from it, and was able to come back for the World Championship on Ding's flight. Marco Fu's eye problems remain, and I wonder if we will ever see him again. Andy Pagett has been unwell, as was noted.