18%
2020 Worlds Quarter-Finals Ronnie O'Sullivan 13-10 Mark Williams
7%
2020 Worlds Semi-Finals Ronnie O'Sullivan 17-16 Mark Selby
32%

Total votes : 28

Ronnie O'Sullivan's best career comebacks

Postby Andre147

Pick 3 of the matches you think are Ronnie O'Sullivan's best career comebacks.

1996 World Quarter-Finals O'Sullivan trailed 8-4, 10-6 and 12-10
2001 UK Championship Quarter-Final O'Sullivan trailed 8-4
2004 Welsh Open Final O'Sullivan trailed 8-5
2007 UK Championship Semi-Final O'Sullivan trailed 6-3 and 7-5
2012 German Masters Last 32 O'Sullivan trailed 4-0
2019 Tour Champs Semi-Finals O'Sullivan trailed 6-2, 7-4, 8-5 and 9-8
2020 World Quarter-Finals O'Sullivan trailed 7-2 and 8-4
2020 World Semi-Finals O'Sullivan trailed 13-9 and 16-14

Pick your top 3, you can explain the reasons why and please if you think of more O'Sullivan's matches like this please post them here, at the moment these were the ones I remembered.

Re: Ronnie O'Sullivan's best career comebacks

Postby Johnny Bravo

His match against Selbo this year is his best comeback. He wasn't playing his A game, and Selbo is a torturing grinder that annoys Ronnie, so it was incredible the way Ronnie played and won.
2nd place goes to his match in 2012 against Andrew Higginson. That match revived his career.
3rd place goes to his match against Trump.

Postby Cloud Strife

The Selby win is number 1 for the sheer importance of it, if nothing else. It was a career defining win in many ways.

The other two I went for are personal favourites of mine. The 1996 victory over Higgins and the 2012 German Masters win over Higginson. Both had me out of my seat with excitement for different reasons.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:The Selby win is number 1 for the sheer importance of it, if nothing else. It was a career defining win in many ways.

Career defining? What?

Revenge for 2014, maybe. But career defining? Because he beat Selby in a semi-final match? The Six World titles mean buck all. But beating Selby has defined his career.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:The Selby win is number 1 for the sheer importance of it, if nothing else. It was a career defining win in many ways.

Career defining? What?

Revenge for 2014, maybe. But career defining? Because he beat Selby in a semi-final match? Now Ronnie is really big time. Hey. He's beaten Selby.

Why do you always have to be so flippant about things all the time?

Do you really think having a 0-3 head-to-head against one of your greatest rivals at the most important tournament, something that can be brushed aside so easily when we retrospectively look back on his career?

People have spent the last 3 days explaining why the win over Selby was so important. Go back and read through those threads if you still don't understand.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:

Career defining? What?

Revenge for 2014, maybe. But career defining? Because he beat Selby in a semi-final match? The Six World titles mean buck all. But beating Selby has defined his career.

Beating Selby basically was winning his 6th world title. Kyren was never gonna win the final, let’s be honest.

So in that sense it literally is career defining in that it ultimately defined him as a 6-time world champion.

Postby mantorok

IMO the Higginson comeback, yes it was Higginson, but ROS was at a low-point, trying to get his career back on track, then won the title and followed up with 2 world titles.

Postby Acé

Comeback vs Selby his nemesis without a doubt and the manner he did it in, that was pure attacking Snooker at its finest that you could ever hope to see. Selby was fried mentally and was frozen out 270 points, not only it got him revenge for 2014 and won his 6th world title but it made a difference of 1 and 3 world titles between those 2 rivals

As i said to the Rocket here, that was his Rocky moment and the tournament was just like Federer's AO 17. Fed was down to Nadal 4-2 and came back and won

Postby Dan-cat

We probably have recency bias, but I can't see past last Friday's Selby SLAMMING!! YEESSSSS!!! HE GOT INSIDE YOUR HEAD AND YOU GOT SLAYED, MAN. EAT CROW FOOL! GO BACK TO LEICESTER AND LOVELY VICKI EMPTY HANDED! RONNIE IS THE KING!!! HE WILL ALWAYS BE THE KING!! EVEN WHEN HE'S RETIRED HE WILL STILL BE THE KING!

<laugh>

Great thread Andre.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:We probably have recency bias, but I can't see past last Friday's Selby SLAMMING!! YEESSSSS!!! HE GOT INSIDE YOUR HEAD AND YOU GOT SLAYED, MAN. EAT CROW FOOL! GO BACK TO LEICESTER AND LOVELY VICKI EMPTY HANDED! RONNIE IS THE KING!!! HE WILL ALWAYS BE THE KING!! EVEN WHEN HE'S RETIRED HE WILL STILL BE THE KING!

<laugh>

Great thread Andre.

:clap:

Postby SnookerArcher

Iranu wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Career defining? What?

Beating Selby basically was winning his 6th world title. Kyren was never gonna win the final, let’s be honest.

So in that sense it literally is career defining in that it ultimately defined him as a 6-time world champion.

KEKEKE if Kyren goes up against Trump I suspect Kyren will win! He seems to be a bad matchup for Trump.

Utter recency bias as I haven't seen any of those comebacks besides the most recent 3 here but I thought the one vs Trump was incredible and it was very very apparent how much fear it put on the young pretender, who's said not to be afraid of Ronnie! Though yeah Ronnie wasn't on the precipice of defeat when he mounted that comeback vs Trump. That reaction of his was priceless though when he clinched the decider with the final black. What he pulled off vs Selby is something I imagine Hendry doing and I'm sure he has done when he was dominating albeit without the flair.

Postby SnookerArcher

Dan-cat wrote:We probably have recency bias, but I can't see past last Friday's Selby SLAMMING!! YEESSSSS!!! HE GOT INSIDE YOUR HEAD AND YOU GOT SLAYED, MAN. EAT CROW FOOL! GO BACK TO LEICESTER AND LOVELY VICKI EMPTY HANDED! RONNIE IS THE KING!!! HE WILL ALWAYS BE THE KING!! EVEN WHEN HE'S RETIRED HE WILL STILL BE THE KING!

<laugh>

Great thread Andre.

I'm an honourable guy and usually won't rub in a defeat but with Selby's detester from Leicester moan of Ronnie being 'disrespectful' and not one word of how well he played to get back in and win it's all DESERVED! Plus all the toxic Selby fans and I am some twats (Chuck in toxic Hendry and Higgins fans too (And lesser extent Trump) using any Ronnie defeat against him) asked for this outcome.