Post a reply

Player of the Year for 2020-21

Postby Prop

Hijacking D4P’s post reviewing the past season’s form players, I thought it’d be interesting to hear predictions for the coming season.

Who do you think will be most successful, or arguably the best player of 2020-21?

Can Judd raise his game back to the form we saw in lifting his first WC in 2019, and again lift multiple trophies?

Is Ronnie going to play with a fresh enthusiasm after his fairytale 6th WC win and place at number 2 in the rankings?

What about Selby? Surely he’s got something to prove now? Beware the wounded beast, and all that.

Will Ding, Robertson, Murphy step up? What about the rest of the pack?

I predict Judd Trump will be the most successful player, picking up 2 or 3 titles. I don’t see him being a clear head and shoulders above the rest, but still marginally more successful.

Post your predictions...

Re: Player of the Year for 2020-21

Postby Holden Chinaski

Should be Judd. He's the man to beat and he's working hard to be nr. 1. Ronnie will probably pick and choose his tournaments. He could win a few big ones though. Selby, I'm not sure. I think the loss against Ronnie will be in his head and he wasn't doing very good to begin with. Kyren Wilson might have a good season.

Postby TheSaviour

I think that Judd was the player of the last season. He has the cue ball on the string during the finals, something which can´t be said regarding Ronnie O´Sullivan. Or Kyren Wilson. And so on..

Judd dominated the last season, Ronnie was a no-show. Fair play to Kyren as he got better of on-song Martin Gould and Judd Trump during the long formats! That´s brilliant, for sure. McGill can´t pot a serious ball from the distance, no idea why he wasted his energies during that tartan-battle. Kyren was a mess, tried too difficult stuff with the cue ball, but I knew he would get better. As he can learn.

Kyren can learn, so....

2020-21. My guess still will be Judd. He has amazing head during the finals, the cue ball is on the string.

Mark Selby and John Higgins both played some seriously good and great stuff during the last season. Selby played like 50 brilliant counter-snookers, which ain´t easy at all. Higgins has had 5 or so great years now on the trot. Every year he has done something really great in Sheffield. Mostly it has been his trademark pack-split of the black. This time he made 147 also.

I feel that my critics towards Ronnie was correctly done, as he can´t keep his level during the big finals. Obviously he played well during the route, surely I also knew that. But compare Ronnie to current and modern Judd Trump, and you probably got it.

So much to see, so little time. How to choose?

Belgium falls through the cracks. Wedged between Germany, France and the Netherlands. But Belgium rewards with richer sights than you might expect - and fewer tourist crowds. you´ll encourter some of the Europe´s finest cuisine, including the best beer, creamiest chocolates, and tasties French fries. With nearly 950 people per square mile, Belgium is the second most densely populated country in Europe (after the Netherlands). When viewed from space, Belgium shines at night as a single patch of light - a phenomen NASA astronauts call the "Belgium Window".

Belgium is a melting pot. One-third English for their sense of humour, one-third of French for their love of culture and good living, and one-third German for their work ethic.

Belgians have sardonic sense of humour - it can be hard sometimes to tell whether they´re putting you on.

Postby Holden Chinaski

TheSaviour wrote:Belgium falls through the cracks. Wedged between Germany, France and the Netherlands. But Belgium rewards with richer sights than you might expect - and fewer tourist crowds. you´ll encourter some of the Europe´s finest cuisine, including the best beer, creamiest chocolates, and tasties French fries. With nearly 950 people per square mile, Belgium is the second most densely populated country in Europe (after the Netherlands). When viewed from space, Belgium shines at night as a single patch of light - a phenomen NASA astronauts call the "Belgium Window".

Belgium is a melting pot. One-third English for their sense of humour, one-third of French for their love of culture and good living, and one-third German for their work ethic.

Belgians have sardonic sense of humour - it can be hard sometimes to tell whether they´re putting you on.

:goodpost:

Postby Prop

I’ve got to admit it, for once I was hanging on to every word of Savior’s post! Balanced analysis and opinion followed by a delightful little sketch of Belgium. What more could we ask for?! :-)

Postby Holden Chinaski

Prop wrote:I’ve got to admit it, for once I was hanging on to every word of Savior’s post! Balanced analysis and opinion followed by a delightful little sketch of Belgium. What more could we ask for?! :-)

Yes, definitely one of his best posts.

Postby Prop

Holden Chinaski wrote:Should be Judd. He's the man to beat and he's working hard to be nr. 1. Ronnie will probably pick and choose his tournaments. He could win a few big ones though. Selby, I'm not sure. I think the loss against Ronnie will be in his head and he wasn't doing very good to begin with. Kyren Wilson might have a good season.

Selby is definitely going to be one to watch for me. Simply to see how he reacts. It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if he comes out fighting and picks up trophies.

Postby Prop

HappyCamper wrote:yan bingtao - i hear he's one to watch.

Yeah, I’m surprised his name doesn’t come up more often.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Prop wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Should be Judd. He's the man to beat and he's working hard to be nr. 1. Ronnie will probably pick and choose his tournaments. He could win a few big ones though. Selby, I'm not sure. I think the loss against Ronnie will be in his head and he wasn't doing very good to begin with. Kyren Wilson might have a good season.

Selby is definitely going to be one to watch for me. Simply to see how he reacts. It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if he comes out fighting and picks up trophies.

You are right about that. Selby is hard to predict and like Higgins, you should never count him out.

Postby Prop

Holden Chinaski wrote:I think Martin Gould will probably be the best single ball potter of the year.

Now there’s an opinion you don’t often hear banded about. Fair play for sticking your neck on the line.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Prop wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I think Martin Gould will probably be the best single ball potter of the year.

Now there’s an opinion you don’t often hear banded about. Fair play for sticking your neck on the line.

:hatoff:

Postby TheRocket

should be Trump. He'll put in the hours and come back to form again and win a lot of tournaments.

ROS will probably pick and choose again and do relatively well in the tournaments he enters.

Robbo will also win a few.

They have been the three most successful players over the last two seasons and I expect that to continue.

Postby McManusFan

I get the feeling Trump will be in the doldrums for a little while. His attitude at the worlds just seemed a little off, he just assumed he'd start playing brilliantly and it didn't happen. After he lost to Kyren, he proclaimed him tournament favourite as if he'd not played badly. I think it will take him some time to reach the extraordinary heights he's hit this season - especially with his unorthodox cue action.

I expect Higgins and McGill to have a better season that last year, that unit of theirs has already proved great for Maguire. Hopefully Ding will be back at the fore, although that's me talking more with my heart than my head!

Postby Acé

Judd but he won't win 6 ranking titles the next season

Ronnie might free up his arm now after winning the worlds, should have more confidence

Murphy, Robertson, Ding, Selby etc will win the usual title here and there

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:

Yeah I thought about this too. Could easily see him winning one of the TCs next season.

Another one is Williams - he’s back practising again, he’s happy with playing snooker and has set himself a longterm goal. You could see flashes of his form returning at the WC.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:

Yeah I thought about this too. Could easily see him winning one of the TCs next season.

Another one is Williams - he’s back practising again, he’s happy with playing snooker and has set himself a longterm goal. You could see flashes of his form returning at the WC.

Agreed, and I’ve put Williams in my Think Pink debut team. I’ll probably fall flat on my face, but sometimes you see little signs that a player is getting back to good form.

Postby The_Abbott

Now that the curse has done its job, Trump should win his second WC next year beating Selby in the final

I think Ronnie will win a least one non ranking title

One to watch - Bingtao. He will win another title

Dropping out of Top 16 - bye bye Barry Hawkins, Jack Dreamboat and Dave Gilbert.

Mark Joyce to make up with his mum

Matthew Selt to become a SI favourite