Post a reply

Player of the Year for 2019-20

Postby D4P

So: who's your Player of the Year for 2019-20?

Is it Judd, who became the first player to win 6 ranking events in a season, but didn't perform well in the season's biggest events?

Is it Ronnie, who won the Shanghai Masters and World Championship, but more-or-less took the rest of the season off?

Is it someone else?

Re: Player of the Year for 2019-20

Postby HustleKing

Has to be Judd for overall consistency, even if he flat lined at the most important event

Postby Iranu

Has to be Judd in terms of the whole season.

I always think the answer is, “If you asked all players if they’d swap their season for someone else’s, the Player of the Season is the player who’d say no.”

Which is almost always the World Championship winner. On this occasion though I wouldn’t be surprised if Judd would be happy with his record season.

Postby eraserhead

Judd is the player of the year. I'm really not a fan of the whole world title counts for 5 ranking tournaments that some people argue.

That was a magical run from Ronnie after his struggles in previous years and beating one of his nemesis over four sessions. I don't even remember the Shanghai masters win though.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:I would say it's Judd.. But then again, I think Judd would swap it for another World title.

This is what I’m saying.

On this occasion though I think Judd would know that COVID stopped his momentum, that he had a record season that will be unbelievably difficult to match, and that the ‘Curse’ was always hanging over him anyway.

Postby Ck147

Judd easy, followed by Robbo for providing the best comedy relief this season of any player, then Ronnie for showing an old bloke can win the best tourney in Snooker after a fairly quiet season

Postby eraserhead

Iranu wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I would say it's Judd.. But then again, I think Judd would swap it for another World title.

This is what I’m saying.

On this occasion though I think Judd would know that COVID stopped his momentum, that he had a record season that will be unbelievably difficult to match, and that the ‘Curse’ was always hanging over him anyway.

He was clearly under pressure and badly wanted to beat the curse. If his form carries on like this it's hard to see him not being favourite for the worlds every year. That might hinder him though, Ronnie's struggled with being the favourite too.

Postby D4P

Iranu wrote:On this occasion though I think Judd would know that COVID stopped his momentum, that he had a record season that will be unbelievably difficult to match

My vote probably goes to Judd, but I'm not so sure that his season will be "unbelievably difficult to match", unless the number of tournaments per season is permanently and significantly decreased because of COVID. If there are 20 events per year, it's not that crazy to think someone else (including Judd) might win 6 of them again, and the 6 that Judd won this year weren't exactly the most prestigious set of events...

Postby Iranu

eraserhead wrote:
Iranu wrote:

This is what I’m saying.

He was clearly under pressure and badly wanted to beat the curse. If his form carries on like this it's hard to see him not being favourite for the worlds every year. That might hinder him though, Ronnie's struggled with being the favourite too.

Oh yeah I’m mot doubting he’d have been desperate to beat the ‘Curse’. I’m sure every player since it became a thing has been more desperate than usual to defend their first world title. But I also think that once you’ve lost, the Curse can be a bit of a comfort blanket because literally the best players ever have all failed to do it and if you wanted to do you could write it off as fate or whatever.

Postby eraserhead

Iranu wrote:Oh yeah I’m mot doubting he’d have been desperate to beat the ‘Curse’. I’m sure every player since it became a thing has been more desperate than usual to defend their first world title. But I also think that once you’ve lost, the Curse can be a bit of a comfort blanket because literally the best players ever have all failed to do it and if you wanted to do you could write it off as fate or whatever.

I'm going to watch the Judd - Kyren match again just because I didn't pay too much attention to it. Judd looked really under pressure whenever I saw bits of it though.

I've thought it since 2015 but Judd has a very good chance of breaking Hendry's record IMO.

Postby PLtheRef

I think it has to be Trump judging the season as a whole. Six ranking event titles and who knows how he would have gotten on had the season not been halted and he played the World Championship in its usual spot. I'm not saying he would have defended the title, but I think he would have played better than he did. Something's been slightly off with Trump's game since the season resumed.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:Has to be Judd in terms of the whole season.

I always think the answer is, “If you asked all players if they’d swap their season for someone else’s, the Player of the Season is the player who’d say no.”

Which is almost always the World Championship winner. On this occasion though I wouldn’t be surprised if Judd would be happy with his record season.

On another season, you're right, but since this was the season he was first time defending champion of the world title, I definately think he'd swap his others 6 ranking titles in order to break the Crucible Curse.

But nevertheless, player of the season is indeed Judd Trump. Tempted to say 2nd best player was Neil Robertson because he was consistent all season, and in 3rd place Ronnie.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andre147 wrote:

On another season, you're right, but since this was the season he was first time defending champion of the world title, I definately think he'd swap his others 6 ranking titles in order to break the Crucible Curse.

But nevertheless, player of the season is indeed Judd Trump. Tempted to say 2nd best player was Neil Robertson because he was consistent all season, and in 3rd place Ronnie.

Magnanimous post.

Postby Ck147

Andre147 wrote:

I think most people would probably agree with that top 3. Anyone disagree? Who would you choose if you do disagree?

Postby SnookerFan

I'll go for Trump. Nobody has won six rankers in a season before.

The only letdown is that Trump didn't win any of the Triple Crown this season. Which is a blemish on an otherwise brilliant season.

Postby Acé

Even tho Judd won 6 ranking tournaments (Gibralter - meh not really an eye opening tournament to win lmao) he'd be disappointed he didn't do anything in the TC events and I guess the tour champs, they're the 4 biggest tournaments

Postby Ck147

McManusFan wrote:Ronnie, Ding, Bingham.

Someone really needs to cut that internet cable to Oz don't they :)

Postby McManusFan

Ck147 wrote:
McManusFan wrote:Ronnie, Ding, Bingham.

Someone really needs to cut that internet cable to Oz don't they :)

It wouldn't be hard, the internet down here is generally shocking!

There's clearly an argument that the three people who won the three 'biggest' tournaments need to be at least considered as players of the year. Maguire should probably be in there for the Tour Champs win too.

The only serious answer is Trump though, with maybe a special mention to Selby who did great in the home nations and came pretty close to the world title this year.

Postby chengdufan

SteveJJ wrote:Definitely Trump.

Heathcote is the Rookie of the year based on points/Money earned.

Yan, young player of the year

I agree with this.
Most improved is tough to call. Most improved from 2018-19 could be a more established player like Liang Wenbo, Ford, Holt, or even Selby. But we'd normally pick someone improving to a new level rather than returning to form.
The young players had one or two good runs, but none consistently got further than in the past. Most young players regressed if anything. Those at the WC didn't do much earlier in the season. Maybe Ursenbacher?

Postby Prop

Has to be Trump. 6 rankers speaks for itself. He’ll be disappointed he couldn’t sustain that form right to the end of the season, but even so he’s done bloody well recently.