Post a reply

Let me explain Why Ronnie Will Never Win Sports Personality

Postby shanew48

He will never win it because, rightly in my view, snooker is not considered a sport, so you ask, what is the definition of a sport? well for example when Mark Allen was losing 4-0 to Daniel Wells, at the interval he consumed "a couple of magners" in a true sport you would not be able to consume alcohol at half time and then come out and perform better than you did in the first half.

Also Nigel Bond lost to Mark Allen 6-5 in the UK championship when Mark Allen was 31 and Nigel Bond was 54, think about tennis if a top 31 year old played someone who was 54 years of age, no matter how good the 54 year had been in the past, it wouldn't be a contest would it after the first few games as the 54 year old wouldn't have the energy or legs to compete.

Just like if you took the England Rugby and Football teams from 20 years ago and they played the current England sides then it would be an absolute mismatch.

So my definition of what constitutes a sport is something where someone who is over 50 years of age should not be able to compete with someone under the age of 35, yes in sports like snooker, darts and Golf it can happen which puts it in the category of not being a sport, just wanted to explain as Steve Davis just asked why Ronnie shouldn't be the sports personality of the year this year and Iv'e just explained why.

Anyone care to take the contrarian view and try and challenge my definition of what is a sport, I'm more than happy to debate this.

Re: Let me explain Why Ronnie Will Never Win Sports Personal

Postby HustleKing

I would challenge you on snooker being a sport, but the bottom line is, is not's a sport/game with enough prestige/following/exposure etc. for the judges to ever want to pick it ahead of a more popular sport/game.

Now, it would have been a credible candidate to have a SPOTY in the 80's to mid-90's, when it did have more prestige etc, but alas no more (plus a lot of general sports journalists either find snooker boring or hate it)

Postby shanew48

HustleKing wrote:I would challenge you on snooker being a sport, but the bottom line is, is not's a sport/game with enough prestige/following/exposure etc. for the judges to ever want to pick it ahead of a more popular sport/game.

Now, it would have been a credible candidate to have a SPOTY in the 80's to mid-90's, when it did have more prestige etc, but alas no more (plus a lot of general sports journalists either find snooker boring or hate it)

I think if you can be obese like Shaun Murphy and be considered one of the top players then it simply can't be considered a sport as obviously playing a sport well at the highest standard should involve being very fit? no?

Postby Iranu

shanew48 wrote:
HustleKing wrote:I would challenge you on snooker being a sport, but the bottom line is, is not's a sport/game with enough prestige/following/exposure etc. for the judges to ever want to pick it ahead of a more popular sport/game.

I think if you can be obese like Shaun Murphy and be considered one of the top players then it simply can't be considered a sport as obviously playing a sport well at the highest standard should involve being very fit? no?

No.

Postby shanew48

Iranu wrote:
shanew48 wrote:

No.

Are you just be deliberately obtuse?

Postby Iranu

shanew48 wrote:Are you just be deliberately obtuse?

Sports are events based on physical skill and competitive fortitude in which people compete against each other at an amateur and professional level to win trophies and/or money.

You don’t have to be physically fit for golf. Hell, archery, dressage and shooting of all things are legitimate enough to be Olympic sports and in none of those do you have to be physically fit or even really move to win.

Postby HustleKing

vodkadiet1 wrote:He has a a good chance this year.

Who else has proved themselves the Joint best 2nd snooker player ever?

Well Phil Taylor is the best darts player ever and he never won and darts is more popular than snooker

Postby shanew48

Iranu wrote:

Sports are events based on physical skill and competitive fortitude in which people compete against each other at an amateur and professional level to win trophies and/or money.

You don’t have to be physically fit for golf. Hell, archery, dressage and shooting of all things are legitimate enough to be Olympic sports and in none of those do you have to be physically fit or even really move to win.

You can't use what qualify s for the Olympics as to whether something should be classed as a sport as there are loads of things there that are not sports, the only true sports in the Olympics are the track and field events, swimming, rowing, stuff where you have to really push yourself physically.

Postby Iranu

shanew48 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

You can't use what qualify s for the Olympics as to whether something should be classed as a sport as there are loads of things there that are not sports, the only true sports in the Olympics are the track and field events, swimming, rowing, stuff where you have to really push yourself physically.

Yeah I’m gonna go ahead and trust the IOC over you with regard to what constitutes a sport.

Postby HustleKing

shanew48 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

What about E sports players, pushing their eyes and fingers to their limits?

Postby HustleKing

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Steve Davis won it.

Wins the argument.

Lock the thread DC

As I said BSP different times, so the op has a point in his question, but wrong in how he is interpreting it

Postby shanew48

Iranu wrote:
shanew48 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Yeah I’m gonna go ahead and trust the IOC over you with regard to what constitutes a sport.

It's common sense surely? snooker has been trying to get into the Olympics! a sport is something that involves physical exertion, if it doesn't then it's a game, like darts or chess or snooker, I'm not saying that they don't involve plenty of skill as they do but I don't think you can class them as sports for the reasons i've already laid out.

Postby HustleKing

SteveJJ wrote:Has more of a chance this year with a lot of sport being cancelled.

No Olympics, Wimbledon, Euro 2020. No major cricket candidates. Not much rugby or golf.

He should at least make the list. Might be a Lewis Hamilton year though

Jordan Henderson will win by a country mile, as he's a media darling (not that I want him to win, when he wasn't even the best player in his league)

Postby SteveJJ

HustleKing wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Has more of a chance this year with a lot of sport being cancelled.

No Olympics, Wimbledon, Euro 2020. No major cricket candidates. Not much rugby or golf.

Jordan Henderson will win by a country mile, as he's a media darling (not that I want him to win, when he wasn't even the best player in his league)

Liverpool will win the team event. Not sure if Henderson will win. Kane more likely and he hasn't won anything

Postby HustleKing

Ck147 wrote:Snooker is a pastime like golf. If you don't sweat it's not a sport, Mags doesn't count as that's alcohol sweats.

If snooker players don't sweat, why do they apply face cloths/towels to their faces at various stages of matches?

Postby Ck147

HustleKing wrote:
Ck147 wrote:Snooker is a pastime like golf. If you don't sweat it's not a sport, Mags doesn't count as that's alcohol sweats.

If snooker players don't sweat, why do they apply face cloths/towels to their faces at various stages of matches?

To freshen up?

Postby HustleKing

SteveJJ wrote:
HustleKing wrote:

Liverpool will win the team event. Not sure if Henderson will win. Kane more likely and he hasn't won anything

Vardy won the Golden Boot with Danny Ings ahead of Kane, so don't know where you're getting Kane from?