Post a reply

Selby Says that Ronnies Shots were 'disrespectful'

Postby shanew48

But he is only saying that because ronnies hit and hopes were actually working now and then, if they hadn't worked at all and selby goes on to win then would he have said the same thing then? if my opponent had basically given up and was smashing the balls as hard as he could and taking on 1/10 chance of getting them then I would be really happy as the chances of me winning would be much much higher so basically he is just being a sore loser isn't he.

That's why we love watching Ronnie, yes he will do ridiculous things, unpredictable things, brilliant things, whereas Selby will never do anything exciting will he, so pleased that he is out so I will actually watch most of the final now, I really wouldn't have if he had been in the final.

Really don't think wilson has the game over 35 frames to beat Ronnie, presuming Ronnie turns up and plays properly that is.

Re: Selby Says that Ronnies Shots were 'disrespectful'

Postby Cloud Strife

I personally think it's far more disrespectful when you keep coming back to the table needing 3 or more snookers, as Selby so often does. Knowing you can't win the frame, but still doing it, just to throw your opponent off their rhythm.

Postby Andre147

I can only think of one hit and hope when Ronnie didn't leave anything. The others he always left a pot for Selby. He just be thankful he managed to get inside Ronnie's scrambled head at the time.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:I personally think it's far more disrespectful when you keep coming back to the table needing 3 or more snookers, as Selby so often does. Knowing you can't win the frame, but still doing it, just to throw your opponent off their rhythm.

Neither is disrespectful, but both are tactics that are within the rules of the sport. Opposite ends of the spectrum, but O'Sullivan did something within the rules to try and rattle his opponent. I'm not sure if it worked on that end, but it definitely lifted the pressure from O'Sullivan, and he played scintillatingly well.

Nowt wrong with either approach.

Postby Ck147

D4P wrote:Let he who has never taken 6 minutes to play a shot cast the first stone.

Lol. Different ends of the spectrum these two. If you take 6 minutes for a shot to grind your opponent into the ground, don't complain when someone takes the opposite approach and quickly smashes the balls and beats you.

Postby Ck147

Pink Ball wrote:Let’s be honest, this is exactly what Selby wanted to see him doing. He just never banked on O’Sullivan doing it in the manner he did.

Yeah, think he was hoping for careless kamikaze Ronnie, and got a "buck you" Ronnie. Never too old to learn...haha.

Postby vodkadiet1

They weren't disrespectful. O'Sullivan upset Selby's rhythm. And more than that it worked for O'Sullivan. It helped him to play better. It was mind games and Selby didn't enjoy that. That is the game. Selby's comments were not showing him in a good light. But that is what happens when you are as disappointed as Selby must have been.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet1 wrote:They weren't disrespectful. O'Sullivan upset Selby's rhythm. And more than that it worked for O'Sullivan. It helped him to play better. It was mind games and Selby didn't enjoy that. That is the game. Selby's comments were not showing him in a good light. But that is what happens when you are as disappointed as Selby must have been.

Post-match interviews the second after you lose can often lead to that.

Postby vodkadiet1

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:They weren't disrespectful. O'Sullivan upset Selby's rhythm. And more than that it worked for O'Sullivan. It helped him to play better. It was mind games and Selby didn't enjoy that. That is the game. Selby's comments were not showing him in a good light. But that is what happens when you are as disappointed as Selby must have been.

That's right. In some ways the fans want to see these interviews rather than the boring one word answer interviews.

O'Sullivan did the same last year after losing to Cahill. Hendry did it all the time. Most of these guys aren't happy when they lose!!

Postby Pink Ball

Andre147 wrote:

They're a reporter's dream, but they're a bad, bad idea otherwise.

Postby Ck147

Andre147 wrote:

Yeah, surprised they've been doing interviews with the loser minutes after the match has finished. McGill was as good as he could have been in that situation, but Selby a lot more media trained so surprised he said what he did, think it hurt him.

Postby Acé

If you wanted 2 complete contrast of styles in snooker it'd be Selby and Ronnie, they're the opposite in every way possible. Ronnie was just doing the opposite of what Selby does when he grinds rubbish out and it helped Ronnie play to his strengths, attack, attack and attack.

Let's not forget he shut out Selby for 270 points so he still had control over his breaks it's not like he was playing like a buffoon. Those shots loosened his arm

Postby Andre147

Acé wrote:If you wanted 2 complete contrast of styles in snooker it'd be Selby and Ronnie, they're the opposite in every way possible. Ronnie was just doing the opposite of what Selby does when he grinds rubbish out and it helped Ronnie play to his strengths, attack, attack and attack.

Let's not forget he shut out Selby for 270 points so he still had control over his breaks it's not like he was playing like a buffoon. Those shots loosened his arm

Yeah he was absolutely brilliant in those 270 unanswered points.

Postby Andre147

A lot of the times the hit and hope from Ronnie left Selby plum in the balls, so that even worked in his favour.

Obviously in the decider he got lucky when the last red stayed behind the black, but after that Selby played a cracking shot, and the shot after from Ronnie was equally as good.

Postby Pink Ball

It won't take long for the narrative, from those who dislike O'Sullivan, to bed in that he was outrageously fortunate. Yes, luck was on his side on a couple of shots, but he score nearly 300 points without reply. For the most part, it was outrageous brilliance.

Postby Acé

Andre147 wrote:
Acé wrote:If you wanted 2 complete contrast of styles in snooker it'd be Selby and Ronnie, they're the opposite in every way possible. Ronnie was just doing the opposite of what Selby does when he grinds rubbish out and it helped Ronnie play to his strengths, attack, attack and attack.

Yeah he was absolutely brilliant in those 270 unanswered points.

I give full props I never expected to see that but only a few select can do that, in the same way only a few select can grind the way Selby does

as others have said, complete opposites. both tactics can break rhythm especially vs a calculated/robotic type player who expects people to play the right shots their brain can get fried.

Postby Acé

It reminded me a lot of Higgins CoC 2019

seems like Ronnie CAN put fear into even the likes of Higgins if he decides to full attack, and if i remember correctly everything went in that match, Higgins got hammered and was made to look like he barely existed in the match

Postby Andre147

Acé wrote:It reminded me a lot of Higgins CoC 2019

seems like Ronnie CAN put fear into even the likes of Higgins if he decides to full attack, and if i remember correctly everything went in that match, Higgins got hammered and was made to look like he barely existed in the match

Quite right. He was down at 13 sec a shot, same pace as when he played Thepps at this tournament.

He wasn't quite as quick today, but if anything took on even more aggressive shots and obviously when snookered he just hoped for the best lol.

On his final snooker though he played his best safety shot of the match and that won him the match in the end.

Postby Acé

Andre147 wrote:

Quite right. He was down at 13 sec a shot, same pace as when he played Thepps at this tournament.

He wasn't quite as quick today, but if anything took on even more aggressive shots and obviously when snookered he just hoped for the best lol.

On his final snooker though he played his best safety shot of the match and that won him the match in the end.

Selby fans ain't giving him credit for that saying it was a fluke but Ronnie didn't smash that, he controlled it with pace and knew where he wanted the red and white to go

Postby Pink Ball

Acé wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Selby fans ain't giving him credit for that saying it was a fluke but Ronnie didn't smash that, he controlled it with pace and knew where he wanted the red and white to go

It was the best safety shot of the match. 100% not a fluke.

Postby Cloud Strife

D4P wrote:Ronnie was asked about Selby's comments in a post-match interview, and Ronnie said something to the effect that he hopes Mark doesn't feel bad because they get along well...

I hope Selby does feel bad. I hope he cried in the shower last night.