Post a reply

Olden Days Pundits?

Postby 4TIMEWCSELBY

A question for the older fans maybe?

Who used to do the studio cutbacks punditry in the days before Steve Davis, Ken Doherty, John Parrot and Hendry and the like (although he's a more recent addition) for the BBC events?

Re: Olden Days Pundits?

Postby Alex0paul

Virgo, Thorne and Taylor

Postby Pink Ball

Olden days?

Bishop Alonso de Aragón, bishop of Zaragoza and viceroy of the Kingdom of Aragon fronted the BBC coverage for much of the early part of the 16th century. He did the presenting and analysis, it was a very different time. Had a personable way about him and a keen eye for detail, although he was somewhat prone to exaggeration.

Warren Hastings, Governor General of the Presidency of Fort William (Bengal) for a time, came in as a pundit during the 18th century. I think he struggled with some of the intricacies of the game, but he combined well with the presenter of that time, Grand Duke Konstantin Pavlovich of Russia. He was a real character.

Postby lhpirnie

Alex0paul wrote:Virgo, Thorne and Taylor

BBC had a presenter (David Vine, David Icke, etc.) but didn't do 'punditry' as we know it now. That was probably an invention of Sky TV when they came along. There didn't used to be such a long gap between frames as there is now - probably for adverts.

Personally, I think summarisers and pundits shouldn't do it for decades, as we have now. It should really be an opportunity for recently retired players to transition out of playing. But the BBC like to have familiar faces and familiar voices. It's incredibly radical for them to have three new commentators (Dave Farrar, Rob Walker and Joe Perry).

Postby Dragonfly

David Icke is the son of God or something now. Which to be fair is a big promotion from a snooker pundit. And alien reptiles rule the planet. I'm sure Ebdon would go along with that!

Postby SnookerEd25

David Vine was such a quality presenter he didn’t need a wing-man

Postby SnookerFan

Dragonfly wrote:David Icke is the son of God or something now. Which to be fair is a big promotion from a snooker pundit. And alien reptiles rule the planet. I'm sure Ebdon would go along with that!

I like the Jasper Carrott joke, about David Icke. "Is he going to save us from our sins? Because he saved bugger all for Coventry City."