Post a reply

Does anyone else notice how Robertson

Postby shanew48

When being interviewed after a win and they show him a shot from a particular frame on the monitor to get his thoughts even before the pundits have said much he is always straight in with "aw, this was a great shot" or some similar high praise of himself!

i mean even Ronnie, who clearly is an egomaniac and has narcissistic tendencies is humble in these kind of public situations!

Re: Does anyone else notice how Robertson

Postby Iranu

I find the honesty refreshing. I don’t think he’s arrogant, just not as prone to false modesty as a lot of players. There’s nothing wrong with saying when you’ve played a good shot.

Postby ROS147

One of the many reasons I’ve never been able to warm to him. I don’t know if he does this because he’s Australian, or if he just has some level of arrogance, maybe both.

There’s a fine line between confidence and arrogance, a line which Robertson often crosses.

Postby HustleKing

Iranu wrote:I find the honesty refreshing. I don’t think he’s arrogant, just not as prone to false modesty as a lot of players. There’s nothing wrong with saying when you’ve played a good shot.

:spot on:

Postby Ck147

He's pretty open about his failings too, agree with Iranu, his honesty is refreshing.

Postby shanew48

Iranu wrote:I find the honesty refreshing. I don’t think he’s arrogant, just not as prone to false modesty as a lot of players. There’s nothing wrong with saying when you’ve played a good shot.

But he doesn't use the word 'good' he usually always goes with the word 'great' usually people leave it up to others to comment when they have played a good shot, it's called humility, it's just always struck me as I don't hear other players talk like this, even Ronnie tries his best to hone in his narcissism in public for goodness sake!

Postby Ck147

He says 'great' about other players shots too. Maybe he likes Frosties for breakfast?

Postby shanew48

Ck147 wrote:He says 'great' about other players shots too. Maybe he likes Frosties for breakfast?

Yes, it's normal to praise your opponent if they play a good or great shot, praising yourself for your great work isn't really the done thing though.

Postby ROS147

shanew48 wrote:
Ck147 wrote:He says 'great' about other players shots too. Maybe he likes Frosties for breakfast?

Yes, it's normal to praise your opponent if they play a good or great shot, praising yourself for your great work isn't really the done thing though.

Very true. Look at the all time greats. None of them heap praise on themselves the way Robertson does. Humility is the name of the game.

Postby HustleKing

shanew48 wrote:

Well maybe praising yourself as much as your opponent when it's merited, should be the new sporting norm

Postby Ck147

shanew48 wrote:

But he's being interviewed, shown the shot and asked to comment, is he just meant to say, "it was an ok shot I guess". They normally only show great shots or great misses in those interviews so don't see the problem myself.

Postby SnookerEd25

I’d prefer to see players praising their own shot than this ‘apologising’ thing thats all the rage now.