Post a reply

Pool chat :santa:

Postby Roland

mediter wrote:Jimmy White-thread reminds me of great cuiests and shot-makers and have to say that Efren Reyes and Earl Strickland are pretty hard to beat in that category. I have watched the color of money (9 ball, race to 120, Reyes vs Stricland). I know 9 ball is a bit mickey mouse game, but still it´s a full stop brilliant and CONSISTENT shot-making, espicially from Earl, but Efren is amazing kicker and tactical player and nothing sort of his "magician" nickname. Efren is a great 8 ball, 9 ball, one pocket and straight pool player and very good carom player also.. And he has knocked snooker-centuries also, playing his pool cue... And Strickland is amazingly gifted player. Great watch, I recommend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPOusCAc ... re=related

Spot on. I love the shot making in pool and the way you've described it epitomises why I'm such a fan of Mark Selby because he's in essence a pool style shot maker, or as close to pool as I've ever seen on a snooker table. Jimmy White played pool in a snooker style and did pretty well but he's a shot maker too. I remember him playing some ridiculous plants on the 9 ball using his snooker knowledge to the horror of the commentators who said pool shouldn't be played like that. But he kept getting them.

Re: Pool chat :santa:

Postby mediter

I thought it was a real shame when IPT World Open Eight-ball Championship run into financial difficulties in 2007.. I remember watching it in summer 2006 (was the biggest prize money tournament in the history of pocket billiards), all the great pool players were there plus some top snooker players i.e Ronnie and Jimmy White. I remember Ronnie was really keen on pool back then, which was a great prospect.. But it was a very risky business which soon failed, even Efren who won it hasn't claimed much of his $500K winning price.

Postby moondan

A few weeks ago Keith Brewer came to our village where we have 2 pubs.
He was teamed up with a brewery that were running a competion in the southwest where you had one frame with him and if you won, you went onto another tournament and the prize was a car.
Keith must now be in his fourties, and although still ranked 8 or 9 he really is still the business.
I played in a competition in the midlands about 16 years ago where he was the man to beat and I should have met him in the semis but an in off on the black in the quarters spoiled that.
He went on to become the best pool player (8ball) britain has ever produced, he must have a few hundred england shirts and is the countries most decorated player although he never managed the world title. Mick Hill is probably his natural successor and that is class.
Anyway 16 players took him on that night and he beat the lot of us.

Im 65 almost and although I still love the game and play 3-4 times a week Im not the player I was and dont really have the competition to compete anymore. I will always play for up to £50 in a first to nine but nothing more serious, those days are long gone.

I didnt disgrace myself and in fact should have had him, but was left with a nasty cut on my final yellow which was made more difficult because the black was partially hidden by 2 of his reds and extreme side was required to get position, it would have been nice to finish on a high but thats the way it goes sometimes.

Keith is a lovely man who didnt drink, was very friendly and we discussed pool at length, also his disappontments.
He said that pool players such as himself had been poorly treated by their association and their was a lot of unrest in the ranks, he didnt enlarge too much, but it didnt sound much different to the snooker players lot.
Love to play 8 ball on a decent table, not the poor excuses you find in most pubs today.
I often play the white onto the cushion first and around the angles to pot, and my highest break is five.
Its a great challenge but not as difficult as it sounds if you know your angles.

Postby randam05

Hello,

Wondering if anyone knows the pool calendar for 2010/11 and which tournaments are televised (probably on sky I can imagine) cause I dont like a lot on tv, so inbetween snooker I like to watch pool or golf and couldnt find the pool televised calendar for this season. Apart from the mosconi cup this december as advertised in snookerscene.

Cheers,

randam05

Postby Witz78

dont know Randam im afraid but thought id comment here given the lack of posts.

I love playing pool and its almost an addiction whenever i walk into a pub and see a pool table, its like a magnet and im drawn over to "stick a chap" down on the side. Hustling in its purest sense and the atmosphere in a busy pub with 2 strangers playing each other with their various "fans" standing around the table is a great adrenalin rush

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:dont know Randam im afraid but thought id comment here given the lack of posts.

I love playing pool and its almost an addiction whenever i walk into a pub and see a pool table, its like a magnet and im drawn over to "stick a chap" down on the side. Hustling in its purest sense and the atmosphere in a busy pub with 2 strangers playing each other with their various "fans" standing around the table is a great adrenalin rush

<cool>

Postby Rocket_ron

WPA is world pools governing body. http://www.wpa-pool.com/
they run 8-ball pool (spots & Stripes) Blackball pool (red & yellow and a black ball ) 9-ball pool (9 balls numbered 1-9 lowest numbred ball must be hit first) also other varirations of pool

9-ball is my fave as its more tactical

another pool federation is WEPF World Eightball Pool Federation. But i dont reconise them as the sports govening body.
This body only focus on english rules 8-ball pool (reds & yellows with a black 8 ball) mark selby won their version of the world title in 2006

Postby Witz78

TRADITIONAL BRITISH POOL

What rules do you guys play then cos i find wherever int he UK you play there are different regional rules.

The latest rules we play is.

No D- cueball always replaces behind line

Player who breaks nominates their colour after break off regardless of whether they pot anything or go in-off

After every shot the object ball or cueball must hit a cushion (unless the ball is potted)

2 shots on the black

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:TRADITIONAL BRITISH POOL

What rules do you guys play then cos i find wherever int he UK you play there are different regional rules.

The latest rules we play is.

No D- cueball always replaces behind line

Player who breaks nominates their colour after break off regardless of whether they pot anything or go in-off

After every shot the object ball or cueball must hit a cushion (unless the ball is potted)

2 shots on the black

i would tend to agree they are the english pool rules.

in American rules there is no 2 shots if there is a foul or in-off the incomeing player can move the white ball to where he/she wants

Postby Smart

The rules I am used to are (differences from Witz):

1st pot decides colour for each player.

ONLY 1 shot on the black - even if you are coming to the table after a foul.

The rule that is often one to decide upon before break off is "stick pocket" or not on the black. If you do play "stick pocket" then it can get silly and very tactical with both players manoeuvring the ball ................

I like the game, and it is a buzz like Witz says to play an unknown in a pub. Did this in Bournemouth once and the guy who I was showboating against was getting the hump big time. <laugh> :idea:

Postby Smart

I prefer the cue ball behind the line, but again this rule is totally up to the individuals cos some people I know its "ball in hand, play it from anywhere".

When I played in the pub after leaving school all those years ago it was winner stays on (and pays for the game). I have my table set to FREE play obviously. <ok>

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:I prefer the cue ball behind the line, but again this rule is totally up to the individuals cos some people I know its "ball in hand, play it from anywhere".

When I played in the pub after leaving school all those years ago it was winner stays on (and pays for the game). I have my table set to FREE play obviously. <ok>

winner stayed on but payed for the next game <doh>

whats the advantage in winning, its always been up to the challenger to pay where im from <ok>

Postby Roland

My preferred pool rules are exactly those onfunkypool US 8 ball. But the fact there are so many rules makes a mockery of the game. Imagine if snooker was played by local rules - if you went to Rochdale for example it'd be shot clock and any fluke loses the frame. You need consistency and that's part of the reason I hate UK 8 ball apart from the shitty tables. Most of the time if you go somewhere and you play a local at pool and you get to the black, you have to stop and ask what rules they play and then it ends up with a massive discussion.

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:The rules I am used to are (differences from Witz):

The rule that is often one to decide upon before break off is "stick pocket" or not on the black. If you do play "stick pocket" then it can get silly and very tactical with both players manoeuvring the ball ................

I like the game, and it is a buzz like Witz says to play an unknown in a pub. Did this in Bournemouth once and the guy who I was showboating against was getting the hump big time. <laugh> :idea:

Ive prob told this story before at some point but my favourite ever bit of showboating at pool was against a sad little local nerd who to be fair is a pretty useful player. Winner stays on and nobody could beat him. Id been on the snake hiss all day with mates but couldnt be fussed getting involved hustling as the crack with my mates was too good and id just get pelters from them thinking "there he goes again, the anti-social pin end making a beeline for the pool table as usual"

Anyway eventually i did get on and being snake hissed i was in my normal cocky kamikaze arrogant mode, dont remember anything other than getting down to my last yellow and it was over a pocket and the black wasnt far away from a pocket up the other end so i played the yellow with the wrong end of the cue much to his annoyance. Then with half decent position i played the black still with the wrong end, but also left-handed. Just to rub it in even more i looked away from the table and at him and winked ;) whilst i hut the shot. Luckily the black dropped and i hadnt made a total bottom of myself in front of everyone watching.

I burst out laughing and went to shake his hand and say hard lines mate, before i knew it he flipped and luanched his cue at me the his pint rofl talk about a bad loser rofl

Postby Witz78

Witz78 wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:The rules I am used to are (differences from Witz):

Ive prob told this story before at some point but my favourite ever bit of showboating at pool was against a sad little local nerd who to be fair is a pretty useful player. Winner stays on and nobody could beat him. Id been on the snake hiss all day with mates but couldnt be fussed getting involved hustling as the crack with my mates was too good and id just get pelters from them thinking "there he goes again, the anti-social pin end making a beeline for the pool table as usual"

Anyway eventually i did get on and being snake hissed i was in my normal cocky kamikaze arrogant mode, dont remember anything other than getting down to my last yellow and it was over a pocket and the black wasnt far away from a pocket up the other end so i played the yellow with the wrong end of the cue much to his annoyance. Then with half decent position i played the black still with the wrong end, but also left-handed. Just to rub it in even more i looked away from the table and at him and winked ;) whilst i hut the shot. Luckily the black dropped and i hadnt made a total bottom of myself in front of everyone watching.

I burst out laughing and went to shake his hand and say hard lines mate, before i knew it he flipped and luanched his cue at me then his pint rofl talk about a bad loser rofl

Postby Roland

rofl

talk about bad loser

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:Imagine if snooker was played by local rules - if you went to Rochdale for example it'd be shot clock and any fluke loses the frame

<laugh> <laugh>

Postby Smart

Yeah bringing back some good memories here Witz. It was always "challenger pays" - hence the incentive to stay on, and hence the added drama at taking the snake hiss with a flamboyant clearance. "Okay who's next to the slaughter".................. yes, I was a cocky sod. Quite often the people playing were locals and had their little clan with them - including the girlfriend so to beat them was bad but to take the snake hiss was really rubbing salt into wounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914&ob=av2e

:D :idea: :D :idea:

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:Yeah bringing back some good memories here Witz. It was always "challenger pays" - hence the incentive to stay on, and hence the added drama at taking the snake hiss with a flamboyant clearance. "Okay who's next to the slaughter".................. yes, I was a cocky sod. Quite often the people playing were locals and had their little clan with them - including the girlfriend so to beat them was bad but to take the snake hiss was really rubbing salt into wounds.

if i bump into you at the Crucible next year think well need to get a Snooker Island pool challenge in the Old Monk !!

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Yeah bringing back some good memories here Witz. It was always "challenger pays" - hence the incentive to stay on, and hence the added drama at taking the snake hiss with a flamboyant clearance. "Okay who's next to the slaughter".................. yes, I was a cocky sod. Quite often the people playing were locals and had their little clan with them - including the girlfriend so to beat them was bad but to take the snake hiss was really rubbing salt into wounds.

if i bump into you at the Crucible next year think well need to get a Snooker Island pool challenge in the Old Monk !!

<ok> :idea: <ok> :idea:

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

<ok> :idea: <ok> :idea:

just had a flasback to that being the scene of one of my biggest pool disasters ever actually, playing one of my mates 2 years ago in there and we were drunk and decided to play a one off game for 100quid before we headed off out to the pubs and clubs, and my mate did a crap break off and there was a bit of tip tapping going on and i was in a hurry to get off out to the pubs as time was getting on so eventualy i just rattled the pack thinking somethings bound to drop plus at least itll open the game up......... :chin:

Er, the black found a pocket :scared: 100quid down the pan <doh>

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:<laugh>

what you never checked to see if the black ball plant was on :santa:

wasnt a plant, i just remember blasting the pack with the intention of sticking the white down on the baulk cushion but splitting balls everywhere and the black double across and went into the middle bag <doh>

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:<laugh>

what you never checked to see if the black ball plant was on :santa:

wasnt a plant, i just remember blasting the pack with the intention of sticking the white down on the baulk cushion but splitting balls everywhere and the black double across and went into the middle bag <doh>

shame :-(

Postby Smart

.......thats pool for ya.

I have had a few games myself today for a laugh, just practice........before the match, and during HT of the match. Played some nice shots but some awful ones too. I need to be playing someone to raise my game proper. <ok>

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:I need to be playing someone to raise my game proper. <ok>

Agreed

me too, i find i need to be playing someone good too to play well.

Against someone i know is poor i will just go gung ho and go for the wonder pots and not care about what i will be leaving if i miss as i know ill get back to the table anyway cos their crap, wheras if im playing a good player i will keep my head screwed on and play a more measured controlled game, even throwing in a bit of dirty safety if required.