Post a reply

Graeme Dott

Postby Caledonian Craig

Just a topic on the Scottish ex-world champion Graeme Dott and a chance for people to leave their opinions about him.

A player who may not be the most talented player of all-time but I admire his capacity to maximise and utilise the talent he has. He has reached three world finals in itself a great achievement and won one world title. I always feel he never got the credit he deserved for winning the world title even though it was a long drawn out affair ending in the small hours of the morning against Peter Ebdon. I don't know if I was the only one but I enjoyed that final and it went on for so long due to some great safety battles. It is also worth remembering the adversities Dotty has had to deal with in his life with his mager and father-in-law dying and his wife fighting cancer whilst he suffered depression but he stuck in there and battled through the dark times and for that alone deserves credit. A player I like to watch.

Thoughts?

Re: Graeme Dott

Postby Monique

Graeme never got the credit he deserved for winning the World, I agree. He's also a very courageous and gritty person and deserves credit for that too. It don't get it when people brand him an undeserving World Champion: you don't make the final 3x by chance. TBH I think he would have had a good chance to win this year also if it hadn't be for Mooney his manager embarked in that scandal. He had played the best snooker in the tournament overall.
Din't stop me to hate that final ... not the kind of snooker I like to watch. (and no, I'm not the "all big breaks" type of fan, but tired snooker is not my thing!)

(and to be accurate, Graeme's wife never suffered cancer, they had a scare but the tests were negative and she was given an all clear)

Postby Eirebilly

Dott has come in for some unfair treatment, i think that it has more to do with his shy sofetly spoken personality. Snookerwise, he has at times been outstanding and he was a more than deserved winner of the World Championships. You werent alone in enjoying that final CG, i couldnt switch it off. It may not have been to everyones liking but i certainly enjoyed every minute of it.

Dott is still going very strong and come the worlds he will again be very competitive and good man to put some money on.

Nice article <ok>

Postby Caledonian Craig

That final was a battle of attrition and what people tend to ignore was that there was some mighty safety battles in the match hence the frames dragged on. If memory serves one frame lasted for over an hour but I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. A bit like chess on a snooker table.

I wouldn't rule out Dott doing very well at The Crucible next year as he seems to come alive there. A gritty individual.

Postby Monique

Caledonian Craig wrote:That final was a battle of attrition and what people tend to ignore was that there was some mighty safety battles in the match hence the frames dragged on. If memory serves one frame lasted for over an hour but I thoroughly enjoyed watching it. A bit like chess on a snooker table.

I wouldn't rule out Dott doing very well at The Crucible next year as he seems to come alive there. A gritty individual.

(tongue in cheek) ;)
Well that's not an opinion shared by a continental person who is one hour ahead of UK time and has worked full day because we have nothing like bank holidays. It was a struggle ... both at the table and to stay awake in front of the streaming :roll:

Postby Bourne

With Dott it's really chalk and cheese, on his good days he's absoulutely brilliant and you just don't see him missing a single ball, and on his bad days he's so poor as is his body language and his opponents can really get on top of him and turn the screw. I respect him a lot though, I think he's made the most of his talents and that's all you can do. To have made 3 World finals and not get the respect he deserves is a shame but I think real snooker fans know of his contribution to the game and all the trials and tribulations he's had to come through to fight back to very near the top. <ok>

Postby NedB-H

Don't enjoy watching him, don't particularly take to him generally... just a meh player for me. Wouldn't cheer someone on just for playing him, but not gonna follow his progress exactly either.

Postby randam05

Not a fan of him, I agree with ned on what he says.

Postby Tubberlad

He's a brilliant player, and deserves a lot of credit for what he has done both on and off the table.

Postby Wildey

i like watching Graeme play he is easy on the eye when break-building but i think he has lost his way and got a bit rushed on shots he used to take care with important shots now he gets down and gives them a whack its as if the criticism surrounding the 2006 final has made him concious of his speed round the table and not the player he was because of that.

he reached the 2010 World Final he played the best ive ever seen him play but he was still rushing his safeties he should forget what people say and play his natural game.

Postby Eirebilly

When Dott is on form, he can be a very fluent player. He can be a very effective breakbuilder and has a quality safety game. He is definately a player that no one wants to be drawn against at the worlds.

Postby Sophie Hart

No doubt after going from the top of the world to the depths of despair now Graeme Dott will be in the move at the end of the 2009/10 season with an incredible run

Postby randam05

Sophie.. who is KK?

you say hes your fav player.